Did golf come easy to you?

Golf was super easy when I started, it got tough shortly there after when I tried to improve.

Ha ha, nope!

Of course it did, then I turned off the xbox

Certainly not. I find golf a little easier nowadays because of all the practice and dedicated time but starting out I struggled a lot. But I think that is with most athletes. You don't become great overnight, yes some have a little more natural talent but you still have to work hard to perform at the highest level.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as many others - athletic stuff has always come easy but golf not quite as much. I think if I had started in my teens like I did with all of my other sports, it would have come easier. if I could go back now and change things, I'd have joined the golf team in high school instead of playing baseball and football. Golf is a lifelong sport. All I got from those other two was lifelong injuries.

Certainly not easy for me (started the game when I was 35, or about 13 months ago). However, the last couple of months it has started to get a lot easier from the scoring perspective. I still don't hit very many "good" shots, but I am learning how to scramble and play my miss and still be able to get away with some pars even though they are ugly. I'll be interested to see where I am at by the end of the summer.

Golf has never been easy. There have been times where I have been playing well enough where I thought it was, that day. But, as others have said, it's humbling. Very fun, but humbling. I've said it before, golf is one of the greatest equalizers of just about all of the sports on the planet (IMO). That's something that I enjoy most about this game.

My golf buddies would say the game is easy for me but none of them were around when I was a kid working my tail off to get better. Here are the boring details. When I started at age 12 my parents signed me up for a junior golf program that was just 8 Monday mornings that first summer. I quickly became addicted and started hitting chips and pitches around our yard almost everyday. I was always begging my dad to take me golfing but he didn't have the money or time so I only played about 3 rounds a year outside of the 8 junior golf days. My dad set up bicycle flags so I had 3 holes to hit to around the house. I went from shooting in the high 60's for nine holes to the low 50's that first summer, mostly because my putting and chipping improved. My second summer I would have my dad drop me off at the course a few days each week on his way to work and would pick me up 10 hours later on his way home. Since my kids membership limited when I could play and didn't include range balls, I often just hit putts, chips and sand shots all day and was lucky if I could get 18 holes in. By the end of that second year I was shooting half of my rounds in the 80's. By my 3rd summer after I had an epiphany one day and figured out how to hit down and compress my iron shots and I took another 10 strokes off my score. After that it was only about a year before I was a scratch. I got good quickly by focusing on the short game. 95% of my practice was on partial pitches, chips, and putts and to this day my short game is very solid with very little practice. I couldn't afford range balls so I probably only hit a total of two or three thousand full shot range balls in the 3 years it took me to become a scratch.

I'm not sure if I'd say it came easy to me because I had a lot of help right from the get go, but I broke 90 within the first 6 months of playing. My first year playing I literally played every possible day during the summer (worked at a golf course) and received free lessons from the golf pro as well. So while I broke 90 relatively fast, I had to really work at it to do it.

Did learn the game quicker than most? Yes. Is the game easy for me? Hell no. I've been blessed with a pretty good swing from the start so that certainly helped but developing the finer skills of the game has been an incredible challenge. I've always been a natural athlete and most sports have come pretty easily to me but natural athleticism only gets you so far in this game. Sometimes it feels like getting rid of the last handful of strokes is like getting rid of herpes or a voodoo curse.

Yes, no, maybe. I was a good athlete but my baseball swing made golf a chore. Improved my swing and golf got immensely easier. Finally break 90 and I think I'm getting good and find out, nope, golf is still hard. Drive well, can't hit irons. Hitting irons well, can't drive. Get them in sync, and now I can't putt. I finally get it all together and I get cocky and put a little extra into the drive....and snap hook into the water. In my opinion, it all depends on how much you play and your mental prep. If you don't play enough, you can't play well with any consistency. If you get angry, it just gets harder to put together a complete round. If you get too cocky and think the Champions Tour is on your horizon, the game smacks you in the mouth and brings you back to earth.

It's certainly pretty easy for me to shoot 100. Hardly even break a sweat. It must be in my genes.

Yes and no I suppose - I have always been quite athletic and having played badminton for such a long time, I have probably a slightly-better-than-average hand/eye co-ordination so the art of hitting the ball wasn't too much of a problem.....controlling where it went was always the harder bit :alien:

Golf is one of the hardiest games there is.....not sure it comes easy for anybody.

No, first time I played 9 holes I had the whole baseball swing and hit slice after slice. I caught one 5w solid that day and I was hooked.

almost 10 years later, I have had a couple periods of solid play in between months of supreme inconsistency.

So I wouldn't say easy, but if it was I don't know that I would have the same passion for it.

Actually, it's been very easy for me. I started when I was 7. I broke 90 just 28 short years later. :act-up:

Golf is too easy. The ball is right there, not moving; there is no crowd noise, everyone is quiet; all you have to to is stand next to the ball, and hit it. Nothing difficult about it at all...

Yeah right.

I think it depends on the definition of easy. I guess some find it easier than others.
I've normally played between 0 and 3 times a year over several years and until recently hadn't played for nearly 3 years.
if the course isn't too long I can normally shoot mid 70s but I think I could work for years and never get to scratch.
i can do that with most similar sports like tennis, squash badminton etc but only to a point, then it seems getting better is incredibly hard... I wouldn't worry, just enjoy..

It wasn't that hard for me to break 90, probably my Sophomore year in High School, but I have never been able to break 80 consistently.

Story of my life right here, could not have summed it up any better...I guess I should be content with being a Bogey golfer.

Not at all. It is a challange for me which is part of why I think I enjoy it so much.

I've played with people who have told me that it looks like it comes easy to me. However it definitely does not. To me golf is a difficult game, esp when just starting out. It's a very humbling and challenging thing to me and I think that's part of the charm to me. One day things can go extremely well and then next round you are ready to quit. There is a reason I practice, a reason I continue to take lessons, and a reason I try all sorts of crazy contraptions out there. To me it's a mountain that can't be conquered, but that doesn't mean I won't try.

I think it came easy to me when I was starting out, I broke 90 within a few months and 80 in the first year. However improving from that spot has been very difficult.

Yes, golf came easy to me. When I picked up the game, I was probably 8 or 9. By the time I was 11, I was a 12 handicap. 29 years later, I'm a 12 handicap. I didn't say improvement came easily to me.

No...I've played junior hockey for ten years and apparently, according to every pro I've met, it shows.

I suffered from the worst slice you've ever seen for years, it took ages to understand even a hint about putting, and my course management still sucks.

I had a roommate in college who picked up clubs for the first time and got below 100 within a couple of weeks...he is the only person I have seen that golf came easy to, and I think it was his baseball background. Being naturally unathletic, nothing with this sport has ever come easy for me.

Back