The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at the end of last year I asked myself where was I in the game and how far did I have to go, I had some great rounds on tough courses and the swing was steady. The next step was the Morgan Cup, I had an uphill battle ahead of me because of a couple things, social media was really uncomfortable because I just haven't embraced it and second was my game itself if I got selected, I was swinging well but I didn't feel it was what I wanted.

After getting selected for the MC, I began the swing breakdown and rebuild, it's been a long difficult process especially after playing for so long with the swing I had but I committed myself to be better than I was yesterday. At the range I began working on taking the club back with the torso instead of the arms like I used too, I used to take the club really far inside and it caused many issues, shanks from coming too far inside and I couldn't clear my hips due to lack of room, a low hook that popped up from time to time, and a low uncontrollable ball flight. With the torso starting the take away the club stays further outside, allows me to get parallel easier, takes the arms out of the swing, and gives me all kinds of room on the downswing to get everything cleared. It has and is taking some hard work but I'm seeing the payoff now, my flight has risen considerably and is much straighter than it was before, I'm going after pins now fro 200 yds out without the fear of scary wild misses, my clubs are longer than they've ever been, yesterday I hit several drives in the 290 range and all my irons are between 1 and 2 clubs longer with a totally different trajectory and flight.

Now the challenges I have are fairways and greens which can only come from getting back out to the course on a regular basis, and that I will do, even if it's for a quick 9.

My point to all this jibber jabber is if you are taking lessons, changing your stroke, grip, plane,stance, or anything, stick with it no matter what. Even when the love for the game becomes filled with frustration, disappointment, unsure, or just flat out you getting pissed, I promise you it will get better! I have learned a ton in this thread both of what to do and not to do lol and no matter what I've tried the answer has always been more work.

It's frustrating for sure sometimes but when you truly see the positive changes and results of the work it's something special.

Now to work on the healthy living part of it lol.

Reading this really motivates me after the weekend of golf I just had. Can't seem to get out of the high 70's I feel like I'm struggling tog bring my range swing and tempo to the course, but reading your post Marc just absolutely motivates me to bring my game to Myrtle where I want to be and I will!

Hoping to squeeze in 2 range sessions and a lesson this week before heading to Cali.

Please with how I drove the ball this weekend, especially Saturday as I was hitting it way longer than Sunday but finding fairways more time than not. Still work to be done with the swing.

Irons on the range were awesome, on the course they sucked, getting back into the range time sessions multiple times a week will help once things settle down on the homefront.

Chipping wasnt too bad, still need to work on dialing in distances to partial swings as I was long quite a few times this week. Still a yip or 2 greenside but WAY less than before.

Putting was toxic, struggled with the faster speeds and was overplaying break that was either not as bad, or wasnt there at all. Should be able to fine tune that relatively easily.

After a weekend of golf at THP Event Love is in The Air, I realize I have continued work to do. My swing was a hybrid of the old and new for some reason and I really struggled out there. Scoring was fine, but I did not think either course was all that challenging, which leads me to believe that on our local courses that I play regularly, those scores would have soared. Very much continue to struggle ingraining the new swing. The take away is okay, but then it becomes a mess. And as I get tired, I quickly revert back to bad habits.

Next lesson will not occur for a while due to travel for THP Events and a work trip to CA, so its back to the range for me, each of the next 4 days.

After a weekend of golf at THP Event Love is in The Air, I realize I have continued work to do. My swing was a hybrid of the old and new for some reason and I really struggled out there. Scoring was fine, but I did not think either course was all that challenging, which leads me to believe that on our local courses that I play regularly, those scores would have soared. Very much continue to struggle ingraining the new swing. The take away is okay, but then it becomes a mess. And as I get tired, I quickly revert back to bad habits.

Next lesson will not occur for a while due to travel for THP Events and a work trip to CA, so its back to the range for me, each of the next 4 days.

Under pressure the weakest link of the chain will always break and with any swing change you gotta keep putting in the work to strengthen it. That's always what I keep telling myself. When I struggle.

Never give up.. Strive to do your best . Look towards the future and never dwell in the past

Under pressure the weakest link of the chain will always break and with any swing change you gotta keep putting in the work to strengthen it. That's always what I keep telling myself. When I struggle.

Yeah, its funny because the scores were fine. 80 on day 1 (that course was darn easy if you ask me) and 81 on day 2, without me putting, so I assume I would have had 5 less putts.

But the swing just felt off the entire 2 days.

Yeah, its funny because the scores were fine. 80 on day 1 (that course was darn easy if you ask me) and 81 on day 2, without me putting, so I assume I would have had 5 less putts.

But the swing just felt off the entire 2 days.

You had flashes early Saturday and then it became a combo of new/old swing I think.

I think the problem was we blew our wad on the range.

I got up this morning wanting to play, currently rain, thunder and lightning.

After this is clear, I will be on the range. (with my alignment aids)

You had flashes early Saturday and then it became a combo of new/old swing I think.

I think the problem was we blew our wad on the range.

Very possible. I am going to the range late this afternoon to work on my take away and then more on short game. I dont want to remove the athleticism, but at the same time, did not start to rebuild to get nowhere. I can go back to where I was and play decent golf, but I am/was tired of bad rounds every 5th round.
I think I am on the right path, because the short game and scoring is not making the scores tremendously worse, considering my index soaring 6 points since coming back to over 8. I think by this time next year, I am going to be in a good place as long as I stay with it. I want scratch and will do what it takes to get there.

The range has become so much fun at the new club with a full bag and then a short walk over to one of the practice greens to work on all sorts of short game stuff.

Found this out over the weekend on Day 2 of my Member/Member Tournament. My new swing had been working so well for the last month that I was brimming with confidence going into it. For whatever reason, it wasn't there on the front nine of Day 2 and I could not find any rhythm/tempo at all. By the time I found it on the back, it was too late. Just shows that I need a lot more time on the range. Unfortunately, I'm on the shelf for a couple of weeks.

Good string of posts here. The changes I'm going through are the first I've done since early high school and it really does feel so foreign to change something I've done for so long. I know that they're for my long term benefit and each failure comes with a eureka moment that pushes things forward. I wouldn't have done any of the without all of you and this site. It really is inspirational to see so many improve and that let's me know that I can reach my goals too. Keep pushing and it will come. Great stuff.

To that end, I am damn sore from my core work yesterday. Feels so good to feel so bad.

Since playing on Monday last week, I have not been able to find the time (or the weather) to hit the range since, so I am reduced to working on the feeling of my new swing at home. Unfortunately this is likely to continue this week as I don't have the time to get to the range, although I am hoping to manage a round on Sunday, before 2 rounds next week - one on Thursday with a couple of THPer's and then another on Friday with another group of guys

Luckily, the new swing changes I am trying to embed feel different enough that I can work on them without a club in my hand, so I am hoping that the time spent working on the feeling will then take slightly less time to groove when I do hit the range. The simplest drill I have is to stand with my left (front) foot against a wall behind me, bend my right leg slightly as if I was addressing the ball and then make my shoulder turn - with my old turn I would lose my balance, but the new turn won't and I can also feel the right side of my body loading up as I make the turn

Going to put some major focus on consistency in the longer irons and hybrids starting in on this week as well as staying on the chipping/around-the-green. I'm finding that my longer clubs (non woods) breeds tempo into the rest of my game including the woods.

As days go by, I continue to more and more driven.

Last edited:
I get what you mean on the swing changes--I have to focus still to keep the new changes active in my mind. More Orange whip training is helping and tempo is the key to my new swing. under stress I still see the occational right side take over block swing--that is decent yet not conducive to going low.

Laid the baby down for a nap and got a solid hour of swing practice in. Brought the setup outside for a change.

7 iron chipping from tight lies has been spot on. Loving it right now. Going to work on distance control a bit because its a little hard to judge when you are picking it off the turf but its getting there.

7 iron chipping from tight lies has been spot on. Loving it right now. Going to work on distance control a bit because its a little hard to judge when you are picking it off the turf but its getting there.

Nice dude. You can control distance with your club selection too.

Nice dude. You can control distance with your club selection too.

I am starting to get the hang of it. Its just different and takes some practice is all.

Snowstorm kept me to carpet putting. I'm really getting consistent with the new posture. The added weight to my Odyssey has it swinging easy and smooth. Cant wait to get this out on the course. Making some of these 6-10 footers I keep missing is the biggest key for me right now and I like where that part of my game is going.

It's raining and 59, I've got practice to get to though. Bring it.

Had an awesome lesson tonight. We worked on driver tonight and trying to pick up some distance. Came away very pleased. Here is a video of my last swing:

Next lesson is in 2 weeks and we are going to work on short game.

Had an awesome lesson tonight. We worked on driver tonight and trying to pick up some distance. Came away very pleased. Here is a video of my last swing:

Next lesson is in 2 weeks and we are going to work on short game.

Big jump in swing speed Ricky! Impressive for sure

Nice job Ricky.

Love to see that Ricky. Taking those lessons and working is paying off for you dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back