What is the longest golf ball out there right now? Previous year version ok too

So many factors come into play when it comes to "longest ball" out there - first is the drivers swing speed and how they want the ball to "feel" personally.

Also, you need to account for playing conditions (temperature, humidity, elevation, etc.)

I myself think either the Callaway Chrome or Pro V1X are amongst some of the longest balls for me.

I just don't see a ton of distance change from ball to ball. 5 yards means very little to me, I'm more concerned with which ball is the straightest on a good swing. There's a reason I find so many ProV1's in the bushes.

I just don't see a ton of distance change from ball to ball. 5 yards means very little to me, I'm more concerned with which ball is the straightest on a good swing. There's a reason I find so many ProV1's in the bushes.
All marketing and the all mighty dollar

I am really liking what I have seen on the distances gains with the new TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

I am by no means a long hitter, But the Callaway SuperSoft as well as the Wilson Staff DUO are solid offerings for players with slower swing speeds.

I know that this isn't what you're looking for, but I wouldn't base your ball choice on distance. Greenside is drastically more important.

Distance is the least important factor when I'm choosing a ball.

Sifting through the opinions!!

Sifting through the opinions!!

I'm more concerned with which ball is the straightest on a good swing. There's a reason I find so many ProV1's in the bushes.

Ain't that the truth!!! Personally I find it hard to talk about ball suitability without talking about swing speed, swing characteristics and ones abilities around the greens. "Workability" is just another name for "difficult to control" off the tee and fairways to high handicappers.

Several of the newer "low compression balls have been mentioned: most all of which have their champions. These balls are designed to help the average golfer hit the ball further while staying in the fairway.

I have tested a good number of those balls, and personal experience indicates none are longer or straighter than Callaway's "Supersoft. My own choice is the Wilson "Duo" as it is almost as long, and better behaved around the greens. Most low compression balls are relatively cheap, at about $20 a dozen. I cannot say I have tried them all, as new balls, and new year models are constantly coming on the market; however there are a number of other threads that are directly aimed at comparison of the relatively new "low compression" balls, which you might find of interest.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

I choose a different ball when I'm playing army golf. When everything feels good, or those pesky par 3's....the spinny ball comes out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sounds like for the price, Callaway Supersoft or the Wilson Duo may be good for me(SS of 90-95). Anybody have a preference one over the other?

For me it was during the Bridgestone Hydrocore testing, I was using a B330

Sounds like for the price, Callaway Supersoft or the Wilson Duo may be good for me(SS of 90-95). Anybody have a preference one over the other?

Agree. Based on your driving distance/SS you might fit well into a "soft" ball. Duo, Supersoft, Nike Soft or Srixon Soft Feel.

I've enjoyed playing the Duo lately.

In the 4 or 5 piece urethane ball category I play, I still think the B330 is the longest for me and the Nike RXN Black is right up there as well.

Since I can still manage to lose more than a couple of balls in a round, I'm using the e6. In that price range, it gives me the longest distance off the tee.

I prefer the SS but if I couldn't get the SS I would have no hesitation in playing the Duo they are very similar I just prefer the SS.

For me the 2014 B330s is the longest and then the 2012 version and then the Callaway SR2.
I agree FK. The 330s, my second is 330 then the SR3. All three are great balls though.

I agree FK. The 330s, my second is 330 then the SR3. All three are great balls though.

Kevin - do you prefer the 330s over the 330? If so - what in particular leads you to that choice? The only reason I ask is because the BFit gave me a tie between the 330 and 330s

I think from a pure ball speed perspective, the Titleist Velocity holds its own against pretty much any ball out there in the distance department. Like many have said though, it really depends on your swing characteristics.

Distance is the least important factor when I'm choosing a ball.

Exactly right. All the balls are so close in distance now that there is not any meaningful difference between them -they are all up against the USGA's legal limit. IMO, a proper club fitting and especially having the right shaft and loft will make a much bigger difference than what ball you are playing. In my experience, those who have the strongest opinions about what golf ball is "longest" don't have any solid evidence to back it up. When I find a premium ball that I haven't played before I will often play it for a round or two and I have NEVER seen any noticeable difference in distance. I do see noticeable differences in spin on partial and full approach shots and big differences in durability.

I bought a $20 set of resistance bands and a 30 lb medicine ball in March and started a 20 minute golf specific training routine 3 days a week. This increased my distance more than any ball ever could - I'm 12-15 yards longer off the tee.

Last edited:
Same can be said for spin into the green though, but the evidence is out there. People just choose to ignore it.

Same can be said for spin into the green though, but the evidence is out there. People just choose to ignore it.

This 1000000%.
At least in terms of distance, an individual can in fact see visual data seeing a difference due to compression and ball flight. They can do this on their own or by a company doing live ball fittings throughout the country free of charge.

Kevin - do you prefer the 330s over the 330? If so - what in particular leads you to that choice? The only reason I ask is because the BFit gave me a tie between the 330 and 330s
The web tool? Or in person with Bridgestone?

I only ask because the online B-Fit tool also gives me almost an exact tie between the B330 and B330S based on my launch monitor data; however, in person, the Bridgestone rep suggested the B330-RX with the intention of increasing launch and decreasing spin. I've played 2 rounds now with the RX and really like it. Feels soft off the face and I hit it a long way out there.

I have not hit the regular B330, and I'm not sure I have any reason to, but without actually talking to the Bridgestone Fitter, that's the one I'd be playing.

The web tool? Or in person with Bridgestone?

I only ask because the online B-Fit tool also gives me almost an exact tie between the B330 and B330S based on my launch monitor data; however, in person, the Bridgestone rep suggested the B330-RX with the intention of increasing launch and decreasing spin. I've played 2 rounds now with the RX and really like it. Feels soft off the face and I hit it a long way out there.

I have not hit the regular B330, and I'm not sure I have any reason to, but without actually talking to the Bridgestone Fitter, that's the one I'd be playing.

The online fitting tool - all of the in person BFits in my area are at private clubs :(

I talked to a Bridgestone rep via the online chat and he said it would come down to personal preference

Am I the only one that seems to get consistent distance no matter which ball they play?

Anymore I just look for durability out of a golf ball because I honestly can't tell a noticeable difference in distance between the different balls that I've played.

Back