Garmin Watch/ Bushnell Rangefinder? Undecided...

JOEE

Reaction score
Handicap
GCHF 7.9
I'm ready to make my next and last purchase... For this season anyways lol.

I'm getting to a point in my game where estimating distances isn't cutting it for me. At my course we have 100/150 and 200 yard markers, that's about it. Based on where I am in respect to those sticks in the ground I decipher my club and shot selection. It's too much guessing, I can't even count how many times I've played a 7 iron thinking I was 170 from the pin and overshooting it by 10 yards because I was actually 160. It's frustrating knowing I hit the ball perfectly, but missed because I judged the distance incorrectly.

I've narrowed my selection to either a Garmin Golf GPS wristwatch, or a Bushnell Rangefinder. Those seem to be the best of the best for each of their respective markets. My problem is deciding which one outweighs the others are far as pros and cons.

Garmin Watch
Pros: It's on your wrist, super convenient. Built in score card, depending on model.
Cons: It's on your wrist, could be uncomfortable. Can't utilize on the range to obtain exact club lengths. Battery life, depending on the model, could be an issue.

Bushnell Rangefinder
Pros: Can be utilized on the range for exact club lengths. Can be used on the course to see distances to bunkers/trees/layup distances. Very accurate. Can calculate slope, depending on the model.
Cons: Not as convenient as having the number on your wrist. No built in score card or indication of Hole #/Par #.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Bushnell Rangefinder at this point, unless someone can persuade me otherwise. I made this thread to see if I have legitimate Pros & Cons for either of them. I'd also like to know what would be the best bang for your buck considering my usage for each. With the watch I'll be using it to keep score, and see my distance to the pin. That's about it. Potential usage would be for layup distances if it's easy to use, again this all depends on the model. On the flip side, with the Bushnell Rangefinder my main uses are going to be for the range. Exact club distances are very important for me. Seeing the distance to bunkers, water, trees, golfers playing ahead of me... Jk.

Based on my use for each, which do you guys think would be most practical? I don't need a $600 Rangefinder, the slope is a non-issue for me, neither is the Jolt... Unless it's the same price. As far as the watch I would just want something that keeps score and gives me distances to the pin/layup locations.

Any feedback/advice or criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I have a GPS and a rangefinder (Nikon). From a purely convenience standpoint, I'd go rangefinder. My GPS battery tends to die at weird times and remembering to charge it after a round doesn't always happen. I have taken to leaving the unit at home and just going with the rangefinder. Bushnell is top of the line, I'd just get something that doesn't rely on the course having those reflective prisms on their flags in order for it to work. A lot of people like the Kick Butt Rangefinder, you might want to check that thread out. It's as good as the top of the line rangefinders but at a cheaper price point IIRC.

My own personal preference would be for the GPS watch for convenience as I am not good enough to be able to hit an exact distance so front/middle/back of the green is fine for me

I have also played a number of courses with blind approaches to green - how do people combat this with a range-finder if you can't see the flag??
Some courses have markers behind the green to give you the target line, but unless you know how far from the back (or front) of the green they are you are potentially guessing at the distance you have left

Again, if you have trees between yourself and the flag, you probably won't be able to use the range-finder

I use a VoiceCaddie GPS that gives me front/center/back of the green and a Leupold GX-1i laser rangefinder for the pin, doglegs, etc. If I had to bring just one, it would be the rangefinder, because a) if you're not getting good GPS signal or if the course has made recent changes to its layout, you're out of luck with the GPS and b) you can much more easily get a distance to any point on the course with the rangefinder.

I have also played a number of courses with blind approaches to green - how do people combat this with a range-finder if you can't see the flag??

This is a good point, and where it makes sense to have both like I do if you are able - although admittedly I got lucky and got the GPS for free!

To counter that point, what if you're playing a long hole with a hard turn and you need to know how far it is to the opening? Your GPS won't give you that number but a rangefinder will. Pro's and con's to all devices. In response to your scenario, I rely on the yardage sticks for those shots. For the rare time that'll happen, I go with the guesstimate. It's a smaller inconvenience for me to do that than keep tabs on the charge status of my GPS unit (though I really need to grab the extended battery for the uPro MX+).

To counter that point, what if you're playing a long hole with a hard turn and you need to know how far it is to the opening? Your GPS won't give you that number but a rangefinder will. Pro's and con's to all devices. In response to your scenario, I rely on the yardage sticks for those shots. For the rare time that'll happen, I go with the guesstimate. It's a smaller inconvenience for me to do that than keep tabs on the charge status of my GPS unit (though I really need to grab the extended battery for the uPro MX+).

I completely agree, and to counter your counter :D

Depending on the model of GPS watch, they do include dogleg distances as well, which JOEE mentioned in the original post

But like you said - pro's and con's to all devices so you need to decide what would work best for you

Does anyone know what a Bushnell Tour V3 Laser Rangefinder's battery life is like? That'd most likely be the one I'd be looking at, the non-slope one. And for the watch I'd definitely go with the S3, seems to have everything the s$ has without the notifications which I don't need or want. My Clic Gear 3.5 cart also has an accessory that allows me to mount the watch on my cart. I'm so torn lol...

I vote for both :)

I'd like to make a strong argument in favor of the rangefinder. I've been in the same position, played with both, and have to argue heavily that if you have only one get the rangefinder.

The main reason for the rangefinder is that it is a training tool. It teaches you to see the golf course, the driving range, and the practice courses as specific distances. I hear all the time, "Well, middle of the green is good enough for me because I'm just not that accurate". But how do you think people develop that level of accuracy? I've found that the rangefinder, over the GPS/Watch/Etc, absolutely transformed my practice. Especially in the short game. I know exactly how far I want to hit and how close I came to that goal. I also know exactly where the flags are on the practice range, so I can tell how my accuracy is improving in a range of conditions.

Think about this: you estimate with a GPS and/or pacing how far you want to hit, and where the hazard that you want to avoid is. You estimate the yardage and the hazard, line up, and hit the ball. Well, it goes into close hazard. Maybe only five yards off. Now, did you not hit the distance you thought your club would go? Was it environmental issues (wind?)? Did you hit the club just fine but MISESTIMATE the distance for your shot or for the hazard?

With GPS, there's always this doubt. So instead of thinking precisely, you think more broadly. In 5 yard increments, or "middle of the green". And you lose your precision and your learning, and there's always a little bit of doubt over what, exactly, occurred.

With a rangefinder, all that doubt is removed. You know EXACTLY how you hit it--short or long--and you can even tell exactly where the shot landed, carried, etc. It's hard to explain, but the affect this can have on your practice and precision is much stronger than I've found with GPS.

I'd be happy having BOTH. GPS gives me a general sense of the course, and my relationship to it. A birds' eye view. That's great when I'm out walking and playing. But the Rangefinder is a powerful training tool, and if you use it right, is perhaps more productive than any single club in your bag other than your putter.

Further, there's some very useful GPS applications you can use from your phone, now, for very reasonable prices that can get you about 70% of the functionality of the GPS devices. Sometimes more. But no such app exists for rangefinders.

So buy a good rangefinder. Get the GPS app. So you have a nice combination. Then, when more money is around, buy a good GPS if you still need it.

For a rangefinder recommendation, I'd put in a word for this one. It's the one I use, I tried out a bunch of them, and this one is just excellent:
http://www.mygolfspy.com/golf-gadget-review-leupold-gx-3i-rangefinder/

I have had a range finder for a while, and I won't be going to a GPS anytime soon. the couple positives that the GPS has that the rangefinder does not is the blind shot, and also no chance to get a reading on the tree behind the flag instead of the flag...

I like the rangefinder because I can get a yardage to a tree/bunker/etc I am aiming at off the tee, as well as the yardage to the flag. Then I can use it at the range to kind of get a better idea of my average distance with range balls.

I have a Garmin handheld I got last year. If I had to do it again, I'd probably look at a rangefinder, since I have an iphone and could use a golf app as gps.

I have the Garmin S1 watch, and I love it. I have tried the rangefinders as well, but the watch for me is a lot more convenient and easier to use. I like that I can just look at my wrist and get a distance to the green.

You're missing the obvious choice. The Bushnell Hybrid with both GPS and Laser combined into one unit.

A used one on ebay will run you $150 to $225, if you shop smart. I use one and I find that both functions (laser and GPS) are useful in their own ways and at their own times. Setting up the GPS is free and very simple, you can do it even if someone else owned the device before you. On rare occasions the GPS will go out if you are in mountains on a stormy day (as mine did yesterday). The GPS switches off first if the rechargeable battery goes low, but the laser will still work in these cases. The battery is a rechargeable Lithium ion and will last about 5-6 rounds -- IF YOU REMEMBER TO SWITCH IT OFF EVERYTIME. I've forgotten before and that will kill the battery quickly. But you recharge it with a usb cable. I also have the spare recharging smart pack (recommended) and the cart mount (recommended). I take out the hybrid and mount it to my cart at the beginning of the round so I can see it's readouts. Then I only laser when necessary or in doubt.

GPS USEFUL: When you want to know the distance to the fronts and backs of greens. When you have an obscured line of sight. And lastly, when you want to know HOW FAR YOU HIT A BALL. It has a shot mode that you press a button from your start point and you walk to your ball, it tells you exactly how far you hit it. This is extremely useful for practice sessions and getting feedback on shots. (The downside is that it tells you the truth -- most people don't hit their drives as far as they think they do.)

Laser Useful: When you really want the exact distance. I use the GPS for a general idea of center greens, but if I think a flag is the wrong color or more towards the extreme ends of center, I double check and laser. But Lasers are NOT good for getting distances to fronts and backs to greens or to the edges of hazards. You can never be sure if the distance is locked in to the edge of the thing you are targeting.

Pinseeker, or its equivalent, is a must have. It locks onto the closest obstacle in your target so it doesn't get confused by background clutter. Rangefinders without this feature are next to useless, IMO. You don't want a rangefinder that tells you the real distance 90% of the time, because that tenth time is the one you'll really need. Jolt, on the other hand, is a gimmick. You don't need the gadget to vibrate a second tactile confirmation that the optical confirmation is locked on. You can see the optical confirmation through the lens. If you are so stupid that you can't see the first one, you shouldn't be playing golf because you probably can't add up your scorecard.

for me it is a watch, all day every day. but if the battery life is a concern for you, you could take a look at the bushnell watches, they have better batteries, but do not have scorecards.

The main reason for the rangefinder is that it is a training tool. It teaches you to see the golf course, the driving range, and the practice courses as specific distances. I hear all the time, "Well, middle of the green is good enough for me because I'm just not that accurate". But how do you think people develop that level of accuracy? I've found that the rangefinder, over the GPS/Watch/Etc, absolutely transformed my practice. Especially in the short game. I know exactly how far I want to hit and how close I came to that goal. I also know exactly where the flags are on the practice range, so I can tell how my accuracy is improving in a range of conditions.
I want to second this. I am new to the rangefinder world and have only used it like 3 times. But I have encountered a phenomena each time out where I see a number and - using my old "middle of the green" mentality - think the rangefinder must be kicking out a flawed number. I pulled the club for the number it gave me and ended up pin high. There is absolutely zero chance I would have had a similar result with my GPS. Zero.

This is what I want to concentrate on, having exact club lengths. There aren't any holes at my course where I'd ever play a blind shot. The big thing is that the course I play on doesn't have anything inside 100 yards as far as makers. Not knowing the distance between 30 yards and 40 yards is a huge deal especially when you're deciding on which wedge to use.

A big thing that I rarely see anyone mention is how the Rangefinder causes you to slow down and concentrate more on the hole. Not to say playing without one makes you less concentrated, or playing with one slows you down. I just feel as if it'd be relaxing, take the thing out... Get the yardage, pick the club and swing. Something to do as well if you're waiting to hit from someone who's behind you. A big thing to know that yardage sticks can't tell you is when you're off the fairway. Countless times I've been in line with the 150 or 100 yard marker, but quite a distance right or left, depending on where the flag is and how perfect you can picture the triangle in your head... The distances are always off.

Range finder = accuracy. GPS = close proximity. The decision is based on what you need.

Does anyone know what a Bushnell Tour V3 Laser Rangefinder's battery life is like? That'd most likely be the one I'd be looking at, the non-slope one. And for the watch I'd definitely go with the S3, seems to have everything the s$ has without the notifications which I don't need or want. My Clic Gear 3.5 cart also has an accessory that allows me to mount the watch on my cart. I'm so torn lol...
I have both...and find myself using the rangefinder more often than the watch.

As for the watch itself...I have the S3 and wouldn't recommend it. If I could do it all over again, I would buy an S1 or S2 for cheaper. Front/middle/back is all I use the watch for (the dogleg comes into play maybe once a summer) and I still keep score manually. Also, the battery life on my S3 is TERRIBLE. At the current point in time, I can get about 30 holes max out of a full charge. So a round and a half. It's really a pain when it dies on the 11th hole of the second round because I forgot to charge it the night before.

I have both. A Leupold GX-4i2 and the Garmin S1.
I've only had the Leupold for a couple of weeks but already my game has greatly improved. Practicing on the range with the rangefinder
and knowing accurate distance carries has translated into much more confidence and scoring on the course. Being able to scope yardage
to bunker lips (front and rear), brooks, doglegs etc... helps tremendously in club selection.
I really wish I had made this purchase sooner.
I still wear the Garmin but only use it when/if I don't have line of sight.

I'm a rangefinder guy. Very few times I can see the flag from my final shot, and I am one who prefers to know meters to flag from exactly where I stand rather than meters to front middle back that a gps normally gives. If I had to pick for one to use everyday it'd be a rangefinder. If you can afford both, then a low range GPS to add to give you that front and back measure can assist a rangefinder but I dont find it essential.

First of all thanks for all the help guys, it's greatly appreciated. Loving the feedback!

I think I'm leaning towards the Rangefinder at this point. There aren't any blind shots I play on my course which is the only leverage the watch seems to have over the Rangefinder besides the conveniency. I'd much rather have something that I won't have to worry about conserving the battery for either. That's something that could ruin your mental game during a round, I'd hate to give myself another excuse for playing poorly lol!

The question now is, which Bushnell Rangefinder to go after? I like the Orange V3 with the Pin seeker and Jolt technology. Is it worth the $369 price tag?

First of all thanks for all the help guys, it's greatly appreciated. Loving the feedback!

I think I'm leaning towards the Rangefinder at this point. There aren't any blind shots I play on my course which is the only leverage the watch seems to have over the Rangefinder besides the conveniency. I'd much rather have something that I won't have to worry about conserving the battery for either. That's something that could ruin your mental game during a round, I'd hate to give myself another excuse for playing poorly lol!

The question now is, which Bushnell Rangefinder to go after? I like the Orange V3 with the Pin seeker and Jolt technology. Is it worth the $369 price tag?

I've used the Bushnells and the Leupold I recommended. I went with the Leupold, and here's why:

1. They're both great when they work.
2. I knew the owner of the store, and he said they get the Bushnells returned 4 to 1. The Leupold just seems to be more sturdy and holds up if it falls out of the bag, etc. He said most of the returns came back with the look through the Bushnell, after taking shock, were just permanently "fuzzy" or unclear through the finder.

So I think they both work great as rangefinders (with maybe the slight edge in optics to the Leupold), but as drop candidates the Leupold seems to be much hardier.

The one recommendation I would make, though, regardless of brand: get the red display. I've noticed in low light, that the red markings are just much easier to read with confidence, especially if the pin is small and far away or you're reading in shadows on the edge of a bunker.

Is red markings an option opposed to the black in the Orange V3 non-slope model?

Back