sparksjr

Reaction score
Handicap
Traveling
So after TheKing I had Edwin Watts swap my RFE and BBA adapters/shafts. The BBA adapter on my old black tie works great but I just tried to put the RFE head on the BBA shaft and now there is a gap:

D242942F-717B-4C86-AE4C-E5E7EF41E36E.jpg

Before I head to Edwin watts to complain, am I missing something? Should this have not worked without a hitch? I mean it's the same adapter and same head as before just on a different shaft.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Is the screw in the head going all the way down into the adaptor? It is blocked or something lodged in there? That's the only thing that comes to my inexperienced mind.

There shouldn't be a gap, the thing that I thought hearing what you had done was that the plug at the bottom of the adapter for the RFE came out when removing it, it is easy to miss that it did, and as the epoxy cured, some of it ran into the threaded section and now the screw can't seat fully.

There shouldn't be a gap, the thing that I thought hearing what you had done was that the plug at the bottom of the adapter for the RFE came out when removing it, it is easy to miss that it did, and as the epoxy cured, some of it ran into the threaded section and now the screw can't seat fully.

This could be it. There appears to be only about a quarter inch of thread inside the adapter. That sucks

Wonder if I can drill it out?

Well now that I look at it...that's definitely metal at the end of the threads and not epoxy.

It's definitely normal looking here:

128DC8C3-426B-41E3-A5A9-567AAFE9E1EB.jpg

But there is about an eight of an inch less thread inside.

That's weird that if they truly swapped the adapters that you'd have an issue.

Wonder if they mucked up the original adapter and put on a non OEM adapter

The silver below the ring just looks like the finish came off, do you see any epoxy inside the threads? The epoxy would come through below the shaft and mot be visible from the outside. See if you have a flat ended bolt that is the same diameter as the screw in the club, hold it with pliers and heat it with a torch. Then screw it into the adapter and that should work the epoxy out of the threads without loosening the adapter.

I don't see any epoxy. Pardon the cell phone pics but here are two pics of the RFE adapter:

0A8E86C8-FDC0-4364-8F21-5A89D0E76F0E.jpg

0029D0CE-64E9-4861-9BAC-5F794175D064.jpg

And now the BBA adapter:
F24BE122-EA6A-4B9C-BC45-DDCBBB08E4B5.jpg

Not sure if this shows the difference in thread depth as well as I'd like but there is definitely a difference.

It does look like some of the threads are mashed in there, I would take it back and see what they offer. If they wont help, let me know as I have a couple of the old adapters laying around, you can send me the shaft and I will install it for you.

It looks to me like it just isn't seated right. The RFX head is kinda finicky and you have to get it just right to catch the threads right. The way I always put the RFX head is put the butt end of the shaft on the ground and then tilt the head back towards you a little bit to get the threads started and it might go in there a little better.

If that doesn't work I would go complain.

I would take the bolt out of the head and screw them into both without the head. Check to see if the bolt goes in the same distance in both adapters...Im willing to bet they do not.

Adapter Issue

I would take the bolt out of the head and screw them into both without the head. Check to see if the bolt goes in the same distance in both adapters...Im willing to bet they do not.

I have done this and you are correct...they do not. Just no idea how you lose 1/8 of an inch of thread magically.

I might just try to sell the head and shaft separately and be done with it.

It may be cross threading. I had something similar happen with my RFE but the threads were not too mucked up so I got it to thread in right and kept on playing with it.

Yea those threads look mucked up.

Look at how clean the threads are on the other adaptor. There looks to be even shavings in the first one.

Someone probably cross threaded it.

Yea those threads look mucked up.

Look at how clean the threads are on the other adaptor. There looks to be even shavings in the first one.

Someone probably cross threaded it.

Then they must have effed up mine and put another on there because it was working fine when I dropped it off (shaft only).

Super.

You could try tapping the threads, or go back to them and conplain.

I just sent an email and photo to the store manager, I will report back. I have a busy week coming up and since this isnt my gamer its no big deal for now but I do want to sell this thing in the next couple weeks so hopefully they will provide a satisfactory resolution.

can you fully finger turn the bolt into both adapters? If not I would agree one of them is cross threaded and for the most part done. If you can tighten both by finger then I would say its a manufacturing issue with the adapter. Im sure you could buy another bolt and cut down just a touch and never have an issue with it but that is a pain, especially if trying to sell.

I have found out these adapters are very very soft and really not that well made..they will cross thread rather easily.

Will be interesting to hear what they say...

I just took a second look at the pic. You didnt have the alignment marks lined up. There is one on the hosel and one on the adapter below the adjustable cog. I dont see the one on the adapter.

The manager emailed me back at 11pm last night, a much quicker response than I expected. So kudos to him.

He also said he has seen this before and will do whatever is needed to fix it so I will take it to them this week. He also said it could be excessive epoxy but regardless as long as it's fixed I'm good.

I will update with results but I'm already impressed with the improved service from this store.

The manager emailed me back at 11pm last night, a much quicker response than I expected. So kudos to him.

He also said he has seen this before and will do whatever is needed to fix it so I will take it to them this week. He also said it could be excessive epoxy but regardless as long as it's fixed I'm good.

I will update with results but I'm already impressed with the improved service from this store.

Good on him for standing behind his company's work!! Good luck with the outcome

Dropped the shaft off at lunch today, he said he would get it fixed.

Stay tuned.

The BBA is the same as the Optiforce adapter and not the RFE from what I remember correctly. I know Jman will set me straight, but i'm pretty sure the RFE head will not set right because it's not compatible with the BBA/Optifit adapter.

Back