For those between flexes, which side do you err on?

Until saturday I was one who always tried to have the stiffest I believed I could hit. While with my woods I still need a pretty stout shaft, I was amazed that my irons were recommended in the 5.5. Amazing difference. So id go with the crowd that says the softest you can control.

I have found that is not even close to being that simple unless the monitor can follow you around a course. Hitting on a range tells me very little about the game most bring to the first tee. A 150 yard wide range is much easier to hit than a 25 yard tree lined dogleg. My opinion on flexes is find a way to take both out onto the course and hit them both off the tee. This game is about feel and on the course is the only place where that really comes out...

This is sort of what I was getting at - for me, I tend to be a bit more consistent with a bit softer flex than what I might be fit for (in the same iron/shaft combo) on a monitor. For driver/woods, I'm more inclined to trust the numbers since there's more of a penalty for going too soft/stiff there in terms of spin, like Dan said.

Same here. The extra stiffness helps with dispersion a bit I believe. Kim Braly says to play the stiffest shaft you can load, im going with that

This is my feeling too. You guys put it into words better than I did.

I play stiff currently, before that I played regular. If I had to make a choice, though I would stay with the shift or drop down to a regular.

I tend to play stiffer i am on the edge of Xflex but because of a hard tranition i tend to keep Xflex straighter

I tend to play stiffer i am on the edge of Xflex but because of a hard tranition i tend to keep Xflex straighter

Another one who explains it better than me. Exactly.

I've just changed all the shafts in my woods after a fitting. With a swing speed of 93mph, I was sure I was a regular shaft. Fitter believed I'd benefit from stiff shafts, and sure enough, I've seen an increase in distance of about 20 yards with accuracy about the same. It's all very well thinking your a regular or stiff or x stiff by your swing speed, but I guess a fitting is really in order to truly decide what shaft to choose.

Funny enough, I had the opposite experience during my fitting today - I was up around 98mph, and settled on R flex.

if you are buying new it doesn't cost any more to custom order a set that is hard stepped or soft stepped to get you to that in between flex on irons or you can get a driver/fw tipped if needed.

This is the correct answer! :act-up:

Im right in between reg and stiff and I always seem to go back and forth between flexes. I do feel like I get a bit more distance with regular but I feel like my ballstriking is more consistent with stiff.

Im right in between reg and stiff and I always seem to go back and forth between flexes. I do feel like I get a bit more distance with regular but I feel like my ballstriking is more consistent with stiff.

Have you tried Hard Stepping Reg or Soft Stepping a Stiff works great for inbetween flex my brother play PX6.5 soft stepped great inbetween flex if you like KBS they have R+ shafts

Have you tried Hard Stepping Reg or Soft Stepping a Stiff works great for inbetween flex my brother play PX6.5 soft stepped great inbetween flex if you like KBS they have R+ shafts

I want to do that for my next set of clubs.

Back