New Golf Galaxy Opening Acroos from PGA Tour SuperStore-Good Luck

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Up by me in northern NJ a new 57,000 square foot Golf Galaxy will be opening up this weekend. It is moving from a much smaller location down the highway. It will be basically right across the street from a 55,000 square foot PGA Tour Superstore and right next door to a Dick's. Now I'm all for cruising around a golf store, but with the stores selling mostly the same products at the same prices is there really that much demand for three 3 mega-retailors right next to each other? Between the internet, local driving ranges and green grass accounts I'm not so sure.

Hey man if you don't want a golf galaxy I would love to take it here in Peoria,IL. Kinda funny there putting it there, but hey atleast you have another choice now. Right now all we got is Dicks, Small golf shop called Illini Golf and ofcourse all the golf courses. Anymore these days you can get everything cheaper online, so usually I only go there to see equipment and apparel in person before I make a online buy.
Up by me in northern NJ a new 57,000 square foot Golf Galaxy will be opening up this weekend. It is moving from a much smaller location down the highway. It will be basically right across the street from a 55,000 square foot PGA Tour Superstore and right next door to a Dick's. Now I'm all for cruising around a golf store, but with the stores selling mostly the same products at the same prices is there really that much demand for three 3 mega-retailors right next to each other? Between the internet, local driving ranges and green grass accounts I'm not so sure.

I go to a Golf Galaxy right across the street from a PGA SS and they seem to be doing fine. In terms of equipment, it's all the same demo stuff. Club repair is the same. What the PGA SS has is more clothing choices and practice bays. But if you spend enough time in GG you get free practice....at least if you're in there every day like me :alien:

I wonder if the Dicks golf section will be cut down, with them being owned by the same company. I guess they have different target markets though.

We just had a Golf Galaxy close down that was right across from PGA SS here in Schaumburg.

Golf Galaxy has pretty much been the only show in town in Richmond since I moved here in 2008. Tomorrow, a brand new Golfsmith superstore is opening up about 4 miles down the road. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

I went into the GG that just opened up in paramus the other day. The store was insanely great and I think it is going to be my #1 stuff for anything golf related. To be fair the PGA SS that is across the highway mentioned above seems equally huge, but I have not been inside it.

I have never once enjoyed a trip to PGA SS. Any time I want to demo a club its like I'm bothering the salesman to actually do his job.

Very few of either of GG on the WC and the Closest PGA SS is Texas to bad looks like a cool place

Golf Galaxy owns Dicks, or vise versa. Wonder if Dicks will get rid of the golf section now.

We lost our Golf Galaxy two years ago. It was a mile from Golfsmith. Personally, I much preferred Golf Galaxy.

I have never once enjoyed a trip to PGA SS. Any time I want to demo a club its like I'm bothering the salesman to actually do his job.

I've only been to a PGA SuperStore once, and the above sums up my experience as well.

I did enjoy thie immense clothing selection.

I actually purchase a lot of my gear from the local GG. Their buyers club is great. I get lots of coupons and $10 off for every survey I fill out. Not a bad deal.

I'd love to have any of those fine establishments within an hour's drive. I imagine if they went through the cost and effort of construction, they sensed the market was not saturated.

i agree that they are pretty similar in product offerings. At least for the PGA SS, the GG, the Dick's and the GS around here there is a different feel to shopping in each. We have (had) Edwin Watts too but I never really dug them. I like Golfsmith the best, I think. The big "Xtreme" store they opened in Plano, TX is my favorite place to go for golf shopping. It has the most hitting bays, the most helpful and knowledgeable employees, and a layout that I guess I just like better. the PGA store is a close second. GG is cool too but the ones here just don't have the selection. Dick's feels like shopping at a Target... then of course there's Academy which feels like shopping at a Walmart.

That's just my experience with the local instances. It might be drastically different somewhere else in the world. What I think is common everywhere though, is that the shopping experience will generally be better or worse based on the employees. And, no one franchise has an exclusive on good employees.

Same experience here, which is exactly why I was looking forward to the new GG in Paramus. I went to the PGA SS 3 times in a week, hanging around for 30-60 min each time, and didn't get any help. On the last visit I asked the guys at the door (about 5 of them) what someone had to do to get some help and they all looked at me, didn't respond, and went back to their conversation. Outright contempt for my presence.

The new Golf Galaxy, on the other hand, is 1 for 1 in terms of service. The GG putter selection is also much better for what it's worth.

That's the one thing that's holding this store back for me. The setup of the one I have been to (Delray Beach) forces you to check in at the front if you want to hit anything. It makes it uncomfortable to even think about hitting clubs. The Golf Galaxy I go to in Orlando takes it to the other extreme, where you pretty much get ignored.

Golfsmith for me is the best balance. I can hit what've want and the sales guys are enormous tools.

No golf store in gainesville FL. #firstworldproblems

Back