How many have a spouse that makes more money than you?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering if anyone else has a wife who's career is farther along than yours and if so, does it ever bother you? I've been in that situation the last 15 years of our 20 year marriage and her success has never bothered me - maybe because we started dating in high school and we still see one another in the same light. I am super proud of her and so are our three children. She started out as a flight attendant for Pan Am out of college with her English major degree not knowing what she wanted to do for a career and is now a VP at one of the largest companies in the world. My good buddies like to tease me about her bringing home the bacon but I know they are just jealous!

I do, and I love it because I could never have started in the insurance business if she didn't.

My ex was a doctor, so yeah, she made more coin than I did. It never bothered me, and now that this thread popped up, I'm actually starting to miss her......................

my girlfriend currently does. Doesn't bother me at all. Didn't get into education because of the money.

I wish I had this problem

Both of us being self employed we trade off back and forth who is making more throughout the year. Doesn't bother me, consistency would be nice though lol.

I don't but wish I did :)

My girl makes more than I do. I'm totally cool with it. She's completely career driven and has earned everything she makes. I'm so proud of her. 2 years ago she was unemployed and starting from the bottom. She runs the show at her hotel now. I'm in awe of her.

I am married to a teacher so I could lose my job tomorrow and probably still make more than her. Lol

Android device

Once my g/f gets established at her new dealer she will make probably double me. And that's perfectly fine with me.

Unfortunately not me. With my pension from Major League Baseball, a sports bar and grill in Salinas CA and repping for Adams Golf, I sit comfortably within tur 1%…my wife is a school teacher but she is much smarter than me and manages our finances. She doesn't give me a hard time about golf purchases and I do give money to a Children's Hospital but aside from that I actually lead a pretty frugal life. When you grow up in a middle to lower income house with many siblings it's hard to shake old habits.....including spending. In fact I still eat cold chili from a can. Loll. Also, I've found out that there's a lot of parity within golf equipment.....from Acer to Ping. Consumers are suckers for name brand gear. It applies to everything in life.

Just wondering if anyone else has a wife who's career is farther along than yours and if so, does it ever bother you? I've been in that situation the last 15 years of our 20 year marriage and her success has never bothered me - maybe because we started dating in high school and we still see one another in the same light. I am super proud of her and so are our three children. She started out as a flight attendant for Pan Am out of college with her English major degree not knowing what she wanted to do for a career and is now a VP at one of the largest companies in the world. My good buddies like to tease me about her bringing home the bacon but I know they are just jealous!
My wife brings home more money then me, but it's not because her career has been better. I've started my own company recently and it's not bringing in much yet. :)

I'm proud of her as she's a great mom, my best friend and a great wife. She does well at work and she takes pride in it. I'm proud of myself as I've taken the step to start my own company once again (this is my fourth) and the way it looks it could just be the biggest of all four. But it's early stages :)

My wife stays at home raising our twins, so I'd say she has a much more rewarding job, and makes more than I could ever bring home.

My GF makes a good bit more than me working for the Corrections Department but I love my job running a course.

We make about the same the last few years but she's going back to school and in a couple years she will probably close to double what I make, and I'm super cool with it. Might give me a chance to try something different that what I've been doing for the last 12 years. Not that I don't like what I do, but I've never really had a reasonable chance to consider what else I might try if given one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish....that would be incredible.

More golf for me? :)

We are neck and neck right now. However, next year when our business is started, hopefully she rockets past me

I'm not in that situation, but staying at home with these two boys, she works much harder than I do.

I'm not in that situation, but staying at home with these two boys, she works much harder than I do.

Exactly what I was coming on here to say about me. Those kids would eat me alive

My wife makes more than I do, not by a lot, but she's definitely the breadwinner. Since I'm in sales, there have been a few years where she made WAY more than me when I had a down year. But I'm not complaining.

Once I have my masters and I think about leaving this industry that may change, but for at least another year or so (unless I make some monster commissions) she'll be outearning me. And she earns every cent of it.

Wife has her own CPA firm and I'm a turn foreman at one of the Gary indiana steel mills . She always earns more , but we both work together as a team . We are easily in the upper tier of earnings in our county of residence . What is more precious than money though is time enjoying each other and the family . Something with our busy hours that we are working on . The more money , the more problems you have ., and less family time . Believe me .!

this website / forum is a blast when I'm at work on break . I love reading the posts and giving my input where I can .

I honestly have no idea.
Everything is pooled as a team.
I dont handle the finances, the paychecks or anything.
If I had to guess, I would say pretty even.

My wife made a lot more than me when I was doing my medical training, and it wasn't an issue. As long as a couple is open with one another with their finances, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, look at the trends of males vs. females going to college and beyond, females are going to be the main breadwinners in more families in the future.

When we first met, she made quite a bit more than I did. But she has been pretty settled in her position for a while that doesn't offer much chance for advancement. As I advanced throughout the hospitality field, I narrowed the gap and passed her for a while. But with my recent move, we're about even again.

Girlfriend and I both graduate next year. I'll be graduating with a undergraduate degree, here with a doctorate of dentistry, I'll never come close to here earnings and she'll end up working fewer days than me. Doesn't both me one bit, we'll both be entering careers that we've always wanted to do, which is more fortunate than most.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back