Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I think these are going to play around the same distances I saw with the DI-11's. It's been hard to tell for sure because I have only had one day so far that wasn't well below 70, or howling wind.

I can definitely see that being the case for a higher swing speed player. I'm guessing you're on the higher side of average given your driver's loft, but if not, then I apologize. :)

For the lower swing speed player, the 3 and 4 may not have enough shaft for the loft. Of course you could also bend them to be a little less aggressive.

JPR1959: Good luck with the recovery!! Going from elbow surgery to playing that quickly would be an amazing recovery regardless of age.

You know, I've never even had my swing speed tested. I have always thought of my distance/ss as pretty average for a 31 year old male. I could probably use some more loft on the driver, but that R11s is not a low spin head.

I honestly believe these could be a great setup for you.

FWIW, my distances didn't change between these and the Speedblades.

Neither did mine.

Playing around with the Yonex yesterday makes me realize that I absolutely will have a set of Alt's again, theres just something awesome about high launch and silly distance.

I hit the 9i today in stock stiff steel and was about 10 yards further than with my current 9i. Also, no joke, was 0 off line 5 times and 7 yards off line at worst #grainofsaltbutstill. Very easy distance. TBH, I just switched irons a couple months ago so am hesitant to switch it up yet again, but these are being pondered.

I know some have talked about how these make you lazy in terms of your swing and I wonder if that's something to consider with these. It'd be great to get thoughts on that.

And there's the issue of what shaft is best. Steel felt great, but then you have guys like golf4life and JB in graphite, I have my long irons in graphite, and you begin to wonder. I'll definitely be playing around with the different combos of these and figuring out if a move is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hit the 9i today in stock stiff steel and was about 10 yards further than with my current 9i. Also, no joke, was 0 off line 5 times and 7 yards off line at worst #grainofsaltbutstill. Very easy distance. TBH, I just switched irons a couple months ago so am hesitant to switch it up yet again, but these are being pondered.

I know some have talked about how these make you lazy in terms of your swing and I wonder if that's something to consider with these. It'd be great to get thoughts on that.

And there's the issue of what shaft is best. Steel felt great, but then you have guys like golf4life and JB in graphite, I have my long irons in graphite, and you begin to wonder. I'll definitely be playing around with the different combos of these and figuring out if a move is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a time I made a statement like that, but I quickly realized after moving away that me being lazy made me lazy, all between my ears.

Bagging the Altitudes was a wise choice for me. Add in the fact that you can pick up a set at a reasonable cost now makes it a no brainier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagging the Altitudes was a wise choice for me. Add in the fact that you can pick up a set at a reasonable cost now makes it a no brainier

Always thought these would be good for you OG. Solid launch plus a certain face angle make them unique and this is music to my ears.

Great to hear OG. I expect your handicap to be in the single digits by the end of golf season. Look forward to trying your Altitudes in the future.

4 and 5 in the marketplace...ughhh

Always thought these would be good for you OG. Solid launch plus a certain face angle make them unique and this is music to my ears.

They are definitely right in my wheel house for comfort. I'm still bonding with them and I like what I'm seeing :thumb:

Great to hear OG. I expect your handicap to be in the single digits by the end of golf season. Look forward to trying your Altitudes in the future.

I think working on my recent lessons ( I still have two more to take) and gaming these irons, anything is possible. The physical capability is there, the equipment will make it easier, now I need to get focused on a positive mental outlook for the game of golf. Having the right tools will be a tremendous asset to reach my goals.

I wondering now if i should have went with the steel shafts in the D and S because of how well the traction shaft is working in the S sole.

I have thought the same thing many of a time. I still can get the D to work with the graphite, but the S not so much.
I wondering now if i should have went with the steel shafts in the D and S because of how well the traction shaft is working in the S sole.

I have thought the same thing many of a time. I still can get the D to work with the graphite, but the S not so much.

Cleveland also make a Wedge Flex Graphite shaft I have it in my Smart Sole S & C and I am getting it put into the Altitude S that I have ordered

Thanks for the info.
Cleveland also make a Wedge Flex Graphite shaft I have it in my Smart Sole S & C and I am getting it put into the Altitude S that I have ordered

I can't wait to get the S Altitude with the Wedge Flex Graphite in it a cross between the Smart Sole S and an Altitude S should be awesome

I can't wait to get the S Altitude with the Wedge Flex Graphite in it a cross between the Smart Sole S and an Altitude S should be awesome

I wonder how the Altitude S wedge works out of sand traps? I'm really happy with my smart sole S wedge out of the sand.

Heavily pondering a 3 iron

Ole Gray, I would stick with the smart sole out of the sand. With my experience with the Alt S, on full shots it is ok but it loses its options when you get closer to the green. The smart sole is much more versatile around the green than the ALT s, at least from what I found.
I wonder how the Altitude S wedge works out of sand traps? I'm really happy with my smart sole S wedge out of the sand.

My too! Heck I love my 4 iron off tee and deck :golf2:

Yup the 4 iron is a beast off the tee for me, Wednesday I was laying up on a short par 4 where I normally hit a hybrid or soft 3 wood, well I cooked that 4 irons 219 yards into the drink lol.

Yup the 4 iron is a beast off the tee for me, Wednesday I was laying up on a short par 4 where I normally hit a hybrid or soft 3 wood, well I cooked that 4 irons 219 yards into the drink lol.

Maybe throw ya hybrid out of the bag if the 3 iron works as well huh? :bomb:

I can get them to work, for the most part, but like the feel of the S sole better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have wedge flex graphite in the D and S, which means stiff iirc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Shot a personal best 42 on the front nine this morning. They are so easy to hit, and longer than my old irons. I forgot that a couple of times and totally flew the green with towering approach shots that fell like rocks. I also had one where I topped it a little and still got the ball up about 45 feet in the air and had the same distance as a normal shot; heck that ball ended up eight feet from the pin!

Back