Am I in the minority?

On flush shots i have a harder time feeling big differences than when my swing is off if that makes sense.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can tell the difference between a DGS300 and my KBS Tour shafts. I can also tell the difference between a regular flex DG and a stiff DG because the ball flight is higher with the regular. I'm sure it would be very difficult to tell the difference between steel shafts of differnt weights from the same manufacturer.

I can tell the difference in shafts mainly with ball flight. The tour 90's in my current set send my shots very high compared to my other shafts in my first set of irons.

The only other thing I can "feel" sometimes is the weight. I can usually feel this towards the end of my longer rounds. I feel less fatigued and I'm able to make more repeatable swings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

this is where the fitting I had yesterday surprised me. The difference in shafts wasn't so much feel and flight as it was control. A heavier shaft made for an overall heavier club and changed the swingweight (to e1 for my setup) which helped me control the club much better. Within that heavier group, there were some slight feel differences but it was mostly about the weight. I'm not saying heavier is better for everyone. It was just better for me. The results were pretty amazing. Oh... and I had no idea that the shafts were heavier until the fitter told me. He just handed me stuff and I swung it till he saw the results he was looking for.

Big thing is stiff from two different vendors don't really mean the same thing. I've hit the stiff kuro kage on the nike covert and then hit the stiff on the taylormade sldr and it is worlds apart for me. I'm like an 18 handicap but I can definitely tell the difference.

I doubt I could tell, maybe like the others have said, the ones from different ends of the scale but when closer I have no idea. Maybe it because im not thinking about that for the second or so it takes to swing a club.

Ive got 3 sets of irons, 2x callaway prototype blades & 09 forged. KBS tour & Rifle 5.5 in the prototype's feel pretty much the same to me. The forged have flighted 5.5 and the 7-pw feel stout/stiff but I only notice/get that feeling on miss hits. Im abit of a shaft ***** & have a collection for my razr fit. I get what people mean when they think/feel a shaft is smooth, kicks harder etc but without ball flight im not sure if I could pick a flex change.

Maybe the pros can tell but for me, I could hit different shafts and couldn't tell the difference.

In the iron shafts I noticed very little difference besides the feel at impact.
On my driver it was a different story. The stock shaft felt extremely soft and had a super high launch and was ballooning badly. It just didn't work for me.
Switching to the Matrix made a huge difference in feel and flight.
My 3 wood is beginning to feel a bit soft as of late as I get limbered up and am probably picking up a little club speed but I won't change it.

No, your not. And we have tested it a dozen times. Despite many discussing it online, the average golfer cannot tell any differences in our tests. And even further, our tests show very little difference in ball flight for the average golf.

Key word there being the average golfer.

It would be fun to do one of these tests.

I had a TaylorMade R7 CGB Max Limited. The one that came with 3 different (R Flex) shafts when purchased. I could quite easily tell the difference when swinging all 3 shafts. I chose the one that felt the best, and never looked back.

I bought my current irons with my 6i having a KBS (I think) tour 90, while the 5,7-9i's all have the made for TM Burner 90g steel iron shafts. The only difference I get from either is ball flight, and even that is minimal and truth be told is probably just my mind telling me they are different.

I'd love to do that test, and I'd like to think I'd be able to tell the difference, but I'm thinking the odds that I could aren't as high as I think they are. Played this weekend with two different iron sets to decide which one to keep - one with ~115g stiff shafts, and one with ~100g regular shafts (both with low CG GI heads), and unless you started alternating them and handing them back to me, I can't say I'd be able to tell the difference.

I don't think shafts make as much of a difference as we would like to believe and were all looking for a certain feel or sensation from the shaft. I personally feel that you can get more variation from graphite shafts but still nothing that is going to really jump off the page.

Back