Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 this morning. 50 out and a 47 back in, 42 total putts. Lost 2 balls first one was a drive on the 2nd hole, which went straighter and further than I am use to seeing and ended up OB in a hedge, 2nd one was a 6 iron 2nd shot into the water. A bad par 3 which resulted in a 4 putt, other than that, 2 pars a 4 and a 5, 9 bogies, 6 doubles, and the 7.

What changed this morning, hmmm Big Bertha is what changed things, along with a slower more deliberate iron swing. I only hit 7/14 fairways but they were straight, long and down the middle, four were just missed left and right in the first cut of rough, but apart from the 2nd hole (lost ball), which just flew I only found myself in the trees twice. An 8 and a 9 were used both back onto the fairways in a good position for the 3rd shot instead of trying something stupid with a 5 iron. Most importantly my attitude had changed, seeing that ball fly off the face of the driver and going much much further was amazing, leaving myself an 8 or less for the 2nd shot on a par 4 also helped. The downside was putting and par 3's, a 7, two doubles and bogie. The bogie was a chunked 5 iron on a 172 yard hole, followed by a wayward 2nd shot, a 9 iron chip from the rough level with the pin and 2 foot putt.

Im kinda stoked at the moment that everything almost came together in the same round. Now I just need to try and keep it there and put some sub 100 back to back rounds in.

Congrats garethw! I put up a 100 over the weekend. Had one awful hole, a par 3 over water that I blew. Had problems off the tee as I got tired in the Orlando heat. I am close though. Soon!

Congrats garethw! I put up a 100 over the weekend. Had one awful hole, a par 3 over water that I blew. Had problems off the tee as I got tired in the Orlando heat. I am close though. Soon!

Thank you, try the Thailand heat at the moment. I've taken on that much liquid just to sweat it all out straight away. I think it makes it harder in the hot weather. Can't complain as its virtually 365 days a year golfing.

Haven't played in a few days but my last round was 54/50 for a 104 at Charleston National in Mt Pleasant SC. I wasn't my sharpest but I made four pars and hit some decent shots. Rental clubs are always an adventure. Lots of target golf on the back 9 and the wind was up, so I felt I played better than I scored but it was what it was. Range tomorrow, maybe a round Friday then another Sunday.

Got out again at sunrise this morning. Shot 50/51 for a 101 in a steady 20mph breeze. I finally drove the ball well and played better than I scored. I need to get some quality short game practice in over the next few weeks as I was rusty and flubbed a few pitches, but all in all a good round. 5/14 FW, 1/18 GIR and 35 putts with two penalties. Only two pars, so ample room for improvement there.

It'll come fellas, just keep after it. I started playing last year and never broke 100 until this spring. I flirted with 100 a couple of times, but my head got in the way of my swing. I put the clubs down for some fishing this winter (it was also really cold and wet), but got after it again this spring. So far things have been going well. The last several 9 hole rounds have been between 42-47, and I am now breaking 100 regularly. It feels so good!

It'll come fellas, just keep after it. I started playing last year and never broke 100 until this spring. I flirted with 100 a couple of times, but my head got in the way of my swing. I put the clubs down for some fishing this winter (it was also really cold and wet), but got after it again this spring. So far things have been going well. The last several 9 hole rounds have been between 42-47, and I am now breaking 100 regularly. It feels so good!

Well done. Go and break the next barrier...

I started golfing in Jan. of this year and my 1st round was at Aberdeen in Longs Sc. and I shot a 129. Well I hit Aberdeen yesterday and shot a 99. My last shot of the day was a 30 foot chip from the fringe and I holed it!! Great way the break a milestone.

Played three days straight, which has been fun. Shot 49/51 for an even hundred today. Wasn't good off the tee but managed my misses well and had some nice pitches and putts to keep me going. Hopefully I'll get some practice in this week and continue the progress.

Shot an 89 today. I wasn't going to play due to a strained intercostal muscle on my right side, but it may have helped some since I have a tendency to over swing. 35 putts, 1 triple bogie, 1 penalty hitting a pull with my driver into the water on hole #6. Woulda, coulda, shoulda been an 85 or less. My handicap was adjusted through golf Logix to 15.1 now.

3022F9AC-DB87-42A6-B183-0FA834B28216_zpsxtfyazye.jpg

Last edited:
Scored a 98 on Saturday morning, thats 2 back to back sub 100 rounds now. Lost 2 balls in the water and 41 putts. Need some serious putting practice. I added a X2 Hot 5 wood which both off the tee and the deck is just straight. Giving a 4 and 5 hybrid some serious thought now for the longer Par 3's and second shots. I am sure hitting it further and straighter with my driver has something to do with the lower scores, but as I said putting is letting me down now. Had a round booked for this morning before work but last minute changes in my schedule meant I had to cancel. Range tonight and hopefully be back out again on the weekend.

Shot an 89 today. I wasn't going to play due to a strained intercostal muscle on my right side, but it may have helped some since I have a tendency to over swing. 35 putts, 1 triple bogie, 1 penalty hitting a pull with my driver into the water on hole #6. Woulda, coulda, shoulda been an 85 or less. My handicap was adjusted through golf Logix to 15.1 now.
90 for me today. Good shooting.

90 for me today. Good shooting.

You too! I'm hesitant to leave this thread just yet. My normal course is short and easy and I made a lot of improvement through lessons without playing on the course over the last month or two. I want to play a few more times on different courses and shoot under 100 before I move on to the breaking 90 thread.

I have been shooting under 100 consistently at different courses for a few months now but I still enjoy this thread. Good peeps here, IMO

Debating whether or not to play from the front tee just to see if I can use the mental boost (and different club selections) to break 100. I am so close and would like to do it from the whites ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I played yesterday and just broke 100 with a 99 it was so frustrating. I know I can play so much better than I did yesterday. My drive was all out of whack and putting was pretty terrible. Also my mental game was just off, thinking too much mid shot and over thinking other shots.

I just have to keep it simple and get a little practice in when I can. Amazing how this game can make you feel when you play well and then the flip side when you suck.

Trying to Break 100

51/47 for a 98! First time below 100. Played from the whites (67.5/116 and 5668 yards). Had three snowmen and four "others" total in the round. 5/14 FIR, and 38 total putts. Got to keep the blowups to, at most double bogey, but I am relieved that I got the sub-100 monkey off my back before my one year anniversary. Really love the new shaft I put in my driver. One guy complimented me on my driving and asked me what I did to improve so much. The senior flex shaft stays in the driver for now.

OOB stats: http://www.oobgolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=2926844

Last edited:
51/47 for a 98! First time below 100. Played from the whites (67.5/116 and 5668 yards). Had three snowmen and four "others" total in the round. 5/14 FIR, and 38 total putts. Got to keep the blowups to, at most double bogey, but I am relieved that I got the sub-100 monkey off my back before my ken year anniversary. Really love the new shaft I put in my driver. One guy complimented me on my driving and asked me what I did to improve so much. The senior flex shaft stays in the driver for now.

Congrats Deuce! Soon you'll be breaking 90!

I am so happy to see so many posting scores under 100!

Congrats guys and keep up the good play!

51/47 for a 98! First time below 100. Played from the whites (67.5/116 and 5668 yards). Had three snowmen and four "others" total in the round. 5/14 FIR, and 38 total putts. Got to keep the blowups to, at most double bogey, but I am relieved that I got the sub-100 monkey off my back before my one year anniversary. Really love the new shaft I put in my driver. One guy complimented me on my driving and asked me what I did to improve so much. The senior flex shaft stays in the driver for now.

Well done Tom. I told you it would come. Up next on the list is 90.

17 holes 92. A par 3 was closed. Its a long one, i gave myself 6 for it. That's 3 consecutive rounds under 100. 99,90,98(today). It was a bit messy but I made shots where it counted. I got lucky with the driver whenever I hit the woods I always seemed to have a look to the green. Plus a 35 yd chip in for birdie on a par 5 don't hurt! My first. And to finish the round pw from 120 to 6 ft. Gotta stay at it.

17 holes 92. A par 3 was closed. Its a long one, i gave myself 6 for it. That's 3 consecutive rounds under 100. 99,90,98(today). It was a bit messy but I made shots where it counted. I got lucky with the driver whenever I hit the woods I always seemed to have a look to the green. Plus a 35 yd chip in for birdie on a par 5 don't hurt! My first. And to finish the round pw from 120 to 6 ft. Gotta stay at it.

Many congrats. Consistent scoring is the key. Gives you confidence about being at that level. Next target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back