TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

we do have that option

Ok gotcha. I get they're trying to push the SLDR S line. Woulda been confused if no mini was available.

My personal question. Is it worth upgrading to the SLDR S or should you just stick with the regular SLDR? I'm talking driver here. I absolutely loved the 430 SLDR. One of my favorites from the newest season of clubs.

My personal question. Is it worth upgrading to the SLDR S or should you just stick with the regular SLDR? I'm talking driver here. I absolutely loved the 430 SLDR. One of my favorites from the newest season of clubs.

If you love the SLDR 430, I wouldn't change JT.

If you hit your 430 well no reason to upgrade the S line will spin more than the standard SLDR

I'm pretty sure my wood department for the MC will look like this:

SLDR S 12° driver
SLDR S 16° mini driver
SLDR S 19° hybrid

SLDR S 12° driver
SLDR S 16° mini driver
SLDR S 19° hybrid

Have you had a chance to hit the mini Driver. I want one also, I just don't know if I am good enough to pick that thing clean off the deck.

Have you had a chance to hit the mini Driver. I want one also, I just don't know if I am good enough to pick that thing clean off the deck.

Nope :) I'm not sure I will get a chance...three wood is out of the question, but there's a gap between the driver and the 5 wood that needs to be filled.

I am getting one with no intention of hitting it off the deck. I have some tee shots in mind with it.

I am getting one with no intention of hitting it off the deck. I have some tee shots in mind with it.

Are you planning on carrying a standard driver as well? I am genuinely curious on bag setups that are considering the Mini Driver.

SLDR S 12° driver
SLDR S 16° mini driver
SLDR S 19° hybrid

My mistake...I meant:

SLDR S 19° 5-wood!! No hybo.

Are you planning on carrying a standard driver as well? I am genuinely curious on bag setups that are considering the Mini Driver.

Yes. Probably a 12 degree sldr s.

I hit a couple SLDR S demo clubs today. Easy to launch and the look is really nice. The ball faded on me a little bit but there's nothing wrong with that. I have a natural high ball flight and the 12* driver ballooned on me, so I'll stick with my SLDR. My dad loved hitting it and saw an increase in distance even though the shaft was too stiff for him. He was tempted.

Last edited:
Nope :) I'm not sure I will get a chance...three wood is out of the question, but there's a gap between the driver and the 5 wood that needs to be filled.
That is going to look quite similar to mine. I think the 5W is the way I go as well, and then add another high lofted hybo on top of that!

I think the leader in the clubhouse right now for my bag is this setup.

SLDR S Driver 12
SLDR S MINI DRIVER 14
SLDR S FAIRWAY WOOD 17
SLDR S HYBRID 22

Question to the guys thinking of going mini driver: Are you envisioning this more for the tournament (Caledonia) or do you see quite a bit of use for one in your games in a general sense?

Question to the guys thinking of going mini driver: Are you envisioning this more for the tournament (Caledonia) or do you see quite a bit of use for one in your games in a general sense?
Caledonia... Plus, I need an option other than the SLDR driver for off the tee, and if this can give me solid distance in place of the SLDR, than it will be a go to club for me in Myrtle.

Caledonia... Plus, I need an option other than the SLDR driver for off the tee, and if this can give me solid distance in place of the SLDR, than it will be a go to club for me in Myrtle.

I like it dude. Setting up something similar for myself. Some tight driving holes at Caledonia where driver is just too much or impractical.

honestly, if it works like they say, it will be a good club for my home course. Lots of dog leg holes and position golf where I hit 4 wood off the tee, so a mini driver could be a good club for that track.

In terms of the MC, I think of it a lot for both courses. Depending on the tees we play I could see myself hitting it off of tees at True Blue(holes 6/8/9/12/18 come to mind right off the bat). For Caledonia, if I can hit it with consistency, I would consider hitting it off of every tee for an Alt Shot match.

I like it dude. Setting up something similar for myself. Some tight driving holes at Caledonia where driver is just too much or impractical.

This is where I get confused however. It is a driver. Just a less forgiving one with more loft due to the smaller club head. Now I understand if people prefer looking down at something smaller, but I am not sure that is the case. For some reason, the people we talk to seem to think this will be more forgiving than the driver like a fairway wood because of the extra loft. But the CG placement and design is still the same as SLDR.

I am not speaking in regards to Morgan Cup, just in general. I understand at Morgan Cup, people need options. We played with guys from TaylorMade yesterday that both had the Mini (they were both playing all SLDR S stuff). Neither of them said they would play it off the deck ever. One carries a FW Wood for that, the other is a hybrid person.

Honest question for the guys that have struggled with the SLDR driver...why both? Why not just the mini? The shorter shaft should translate into hitting the sweet spot more. I recall JMan's 3w review saying there was more forgiveness in that club than the D (presumably that would continue here). It seems like it might be easier to have one driver to focus on and get good with instead of two. More forgiveness, more centered strikes, more confidence...seems like it could be a winner. Just curious about your guy's thinking.

This is where I get confused however. It is a driver. Just a less forgiving one with more loft due to the smaller club head. Now I understand if people prefer looking down at something smaller, but I am not sure that is the case. For some reason, the people we talk to seem to think this will be more forgiving than the driver like a fairway wood because of the extra loft. But the CG placement and design is still the same as SLDR.

I am not speaking in regards to Morgan Cup, just in general. I understand at Morgan Cup, people need options. We played with guys from TaylorMade yesterday that both had the Mini (they were both playing all SLDR S stuff). Neither of them said they would play it off the deck ever. One carries a FW Wood for that, the other is a hybrid person.

Tomo hit it off the deck 1 time with me. He said he could do it, has no issues doing it, but it's not a shot he would play unless he has to. I think that spoke volumes about it, as he was one of the better ball strikers I've every played with.

Tomo hit it off the deck 1 time with me. He said he could do it, has no issues doing it, but it's not a shot he would play unless he has to. I think that spoke volumes about it, as he was one of the better ball strikers I've every played with.

So here is my question Mr. Dec. Why not get just the driver, loft it up and get it with the shaft cut down to the same length as the mini?

I was in the camp of more forgiveness due to the additional loft but that was an assumption just based on loft alone as I don't understand the design of the club and CG, etc.

In my case, I'm speaking of a FW and not a mini driver.

Will be interesting to see this club play out, Dean seemed to really like it in CA from what I recalled in that it performed better than the driver for him and not as penal on misses. I could be wrong though going off memory.

I guess I am confused how there would be any benefit to playing it? More control due to a slightly shorter shaft? If it is less forgiving then the SLDR S, why put it in the bag over a traditional 3 or 4w?

Back