Cleveland 588 Hybrid Review

LOL....sorry. But I think I need to hit too to see.

Agreed. It's a good thing. My 5 wood has been hot and cold lately. And I don't want a club like that to take up a spot.

Not positive, but I may order the 5h a 1/2 inch short (assuming I order it) to help with gapping.

Not positive, but I may order the 5h a 1/2 inch short (assuming I order it) to help with gapping.

Now that's an interesting thought...hadn't thought about getting the shaft shorter?!

Already a pretty hefty swingweight at D4, so a 1/2 inch wouldn't bring it out of whack. Tough call there, but I may just try it out ahead of time in case. As it stands, it's definitely a little too long in yardage to gap right.

FYI - these are the specs on the Ozik Altus shaft (supplied from Cleveland's customer service). They don't list this anywhere on the website that I can see.

Flexes - A, R, S, X
Weights - 53g, 56g, 59g, 62g
Tip - .370
Butt - .620
Flex Point - Mid
SW - D4
Torque - 5.3, 5.1, 5.0, 4.8

Just a question for anyone who is on the know. Why has Cleveland moved away from putting Miyazaki Shafts in their hybos (and woods in general). I remember the Mashies had the C.Kua's I believe but last year's hybrids and this year's have gone to Matrix? Just curious is all as I know Miyazaki used to be a large part of Cleveland's lineup.

I don't know that there's ever been a definitive answer on that Brad. I have some theories though. Main one is that putting shafts that were so expensive in the aftermarket into the stock lineup sort of devalued them. You could probably buy a Classic 310 used cheaper than a Kusala Black for example.

I don't know that there's ever been a definitive answer on that Brad. I have some theories though. Main one is that putting shafts that were so expensive in the aftermarket into the stock lineup sort of devalued them. You could probably buy a Classic 310 used cheaper than a Kusala Black for example.

That's a good theory. It make's sense too, amazing how much a "dated" head can do to the value of a quality shaft like Miyazaki.

That's completely a guess though. Matrix has been a good match as alternative for them it seems.

FYI - these are the specs on the Ozik Altus shaft (supplied from Cleveland's customer service). They don't list this anywhere on the website that I can see.

Flexes - A, R, S, X
Weights - 53g, 56g, 59g, 62g
Tip - .370
Butt - .620
Flex Point - Mid
SW - D4
Torque - 5.3, 5.1, 5.0, 4.8

The torque scares me a tad..

Tour Blue 85 feels nice in there. Didn't bother with the monitor. We'll see how ball flight looks tomorrow.

Put a champ grip on there and worked on choking down. Easy enough.

I want to hit this. I really do, that combo sounds sick.

Still one of my favorite hybo's this year.

It certainly looks cool lol. Not expecting a big change or anything, but whatever. Have puller/will pull.

It certainly looks cool lol. Not expecting a big change or anything, but whatever. Have puller/will pull.

Tinkering is, in fact, fun.

Tour Blue 85 feels nice in there. Didn't bother with the monitor. We'll see how ball flight looks tomorrow.

Put a champ grip on there and worked on choking down. Easy enough.

The head is somewhat heavy if I remember correctly right?

A little bit yes. Enough so that they can put a fairly light shaft in it and keep a pretty high swing weight, though a small part of that is the light grip they use.

A little bit yes. Enough so that they can put a fairly light shaft in it and keep a pretty high swing weight, though a small part of that is the light grip they use.

That's what I thought. It was well balanced but slightly on the heavier side.

That's what I thought. It was well balanced but slightly on the heavier side.

Which I personally love and I know you are the same way. With an 85g shaft and a standard weight grip it comes out to about D3-D4 at stock length, which is basically where it was with the stock shaft and light grip. Didn't have to put any lead tape to get it where I wanted, unlike the X2Hot for example.

Which I personally love and I know you are the same way. With an 85g shaft and a standard weight grip it comes out to about D3-D4 at stock length, which is basically where it was with the stock shaft and light grip. Didn't have to put any lead tape to get it where I wanted, unlike the X2Hot for example.

Yup. Heavier the better for me too

588/TB had a different feel. No more distance, no less. As expected. Ball flight really wasn't anything that made me think it was different either. I continue to hit this one more left that I do the X2Hot, which makes me think I'm setting up differently with it.

Well, Jman you have hit it out of the park again. You turned me on to the Ping I-25 irons and now the 588 hybrids. I ordered the 20.5 and the 17 and they are out of sight!! I love the Matrix shaft in this club. I MOI all my irons and when I put the 588 in my MOI machine it was dead on at 2685. I love the high baby draw I get unless I put the hammer down and then it's a big draw, but manageable. You are batting a 1000 with me!! Keep up the good work!!

I continue to hit this hybrid every time I go into a golf shop--I am having to fight the urge to bag one of these before the MC options come out!

I mist admit, I looked at, and tried/gamed many other options before finally trying a 20.5. A clear mistake on my part. It's now fighting for the hybrid spot in my bag.

Well, Jman you have hit it out of the park again. You turned me on to the Ping I-25 irons and now the 588 hybrids. I ordered the 20.5 and the 17 and they are out of sight!! I love the Matrix shaft in this club. I MOI all my irons and when I put the 588 in my MOI machine it was dead on at 2685. I love the high baby draw I get unless I put the hammer down and then it's a big draw, but manageable. You are batting a 1000 with me!! Keep up the good work!!

Nice dude. The shaft really does seem to be a great great pairing for almost everyone who has hit it.

Having some directional issues with this one right now that aren't appearing so much with other hybrids I'm using both on the range or the course. A bit worrisome since I do rely on a hybrid quite a bit. I am going to play around with setup a bit to make sure I'm not setting the face closed at address before I go farther though.

Back