TaylorMade SLDR S Metalwoods Preview

Honest question for the guys that have struggled with the SLDR driver...why both? Why not just the mini? The shorter shaft should translate into hitting the sweet spot more. I recall JMan's 3w review saying there was more forgiveness I that club than the D (presumably that would continue here). It seems like it might be easier to have one driver to focus on and get good with instead of two. More forgiveness, more centered strikes, more confidence...seems like it could be a winner. Just curious about your guy's thinking.

I have a spot in my bag for both, and as part of the event I believe TaylorMade would like that during that weekend and after that I would be able to supply some feedback on the forum. So I have the 10 degree SLDR S right now, I plan to #LoftUp and see what the difference will be. If it doesn't worked as planned I will have the Mini Driver to fall back on, and visa versa.

I was in the camp of more forgiveness due to the additional loft but that was an assumption just based on loft alone as I don't understand the design of the club and CG, etc.

In my case, I'm speaking of a FW and not a mini driver.

Will be interesting to see this club play out, Dean seemed to really like it in CA from what I recalled in that it performed better than the driver for him and not as penal on misses. I could be wrong though going off memory.

I guess I am confused how there would be any benefit to playing it? More control due to a slightly shorter shaft? If it is less forgiving then the SLDR S, why put it in the bag over a traditional 3 or 4w?

More loft and shorter shaft does it make more forgiving. However that is only the case if the driver is not offered in the same loft and shaft options. In this case, they do make the driver in 16*.

Just my general thoughts.

So here is my question Mr. Dec. Why not get just the driver, loft it up and get it with the shaft cut down to the same length as the mini?

I have thought about it. It's a reason why I asked in the SLDR driver thread if you tried playing it at 44 inches.

More loft and shorter shaft does it make more forgiving. However that is only the case if the driver is not offered in the same loft and shaft options. In this case, they do make the driver in 16*.

I gotcha. Must admit: I would be very interested in a 16* driver with shorter shaft if it meant an uptick in fairways with not too much distance loss.

Heck, I'm looking at knocking an inch both off my driver and FW.

Do you think it the mini driver would be more forgiving than the regular 3 wood? Talking off the tee, not counting from the turf.

Got it, in theory it is more forgiving if the Driver couldn't loft up that much. Which in this case the SLDR S can get to 16.

I have thought about it. It's a reason why I asked in the SLDR driver thread if you tried playing it at 44 inches.

I hit it in FL and I think he said it was cut to 44.5" (That was the original SLDR though I think)

What I have seen - and validated with the Voice Caddie - is that my R1 cut down to 44 1/4 produces consistently superior smash factor numbers that more than makes up for the decreased SS I get with the shorter shaft. I realize that isn't an SLDR but I can't imagine why the principle wouldn't apply across different drivers.

What I have seen - and validated with the Voice Caddie - is that my R1 cut down to 44 1/4 produces consistently superior smash factor numbers that more than makes up for the decreased SS I get with the shorter shaft. I realize that isn't an SLDR but I can't imagine why the principle wouldn't apply across different drivers.

Perhaps I should try to find a stock shaft for the Covert and cut it down to check out. Could be a cheap little experiment. But may do wonders for my game and this decision.

Do you think it the mini driver would be more forgiving than the regular 3 wood? Talking off the tee, not counting from the turf.

That is the interesting rub. Technically I would think yes, in a purely technical sense. Just as the mini would have less than the cut down driver with same loft. Less versatile without a doubt, but more forgiving.

That is the interesting rub. Technically I would think yes, in a purely technical sense. Just as the mini would have less than the cut down driver with same loft. Less versatile without a doubt, but more forgiving.

I guess that is more where my thinking is. Talking strictly now MC courses, I can't remember more than a few times I hit my 3w off the deck for down there. But I know where I hit it off the tee. So I'm looking at this more of replacing that 3w off the tee. I'm sure it's pretty flawed logic, but I would think that this head would be a little more forgiving than the regular 3w head. The flip side is what you are saying. If I am really looking for that, I should consider a higher lofted driver and just get it to play at the same length. As for versatility, I guess in a serious pinch if I had to hit one of those off the deck, the mini would be better than the 16 driver. Just spit balling things here.

Perhaps I should try to find a stock shaft for the Covert and cut it down to check out. Could be a cheap little experiment. But may do wonders for my game and this decision.
It has made a huge difference for me. I'm just not good enough to hit driver in the middle at standard length with any consistency at all. I had mostly given up on driver and was continuously searching for long 3Ws to use off the tee. This has been a relative game changer - I'm not just proficient with D now, I'm actually confident with it and rarely hit 3W any longer. The fact I was able to validate no meaningful loss of distance with the VC was icing on the cake. Give it a shot - hopefully it helps you, too.

Last edited:
Loving this convo and soaking it all in. I haven't contemplated the mini as a "second" driver and still don't think I'll need it. I do need a fw that I can have confidence in and don't relish the idea of hitting the mini off the deck. On the flip side, I don't like hitting 3w off the tee either. When faced with that situation now, I simply choke down on the driver because I have more control over it that the 3w. I'm hoping that holds true for the SLDRs driver.

Loving this convo and soaking it all in. I haven't contemplated the mini as a "second" driver and still don't think I'll need it. I do need a fw that I can have confidence in and don't relish the idea of hitting the mini off the deck. On the flip side, I don't like hitting 3w off the tee either. When faced with that situation now, I simply choke down on the driver because I have more control over it that the 3w. I'm hoping that holds true for the SLDRs driver.

I've been enjoying the conversation in here as well.

Interesting thoughts in here.

I am going to have a SLDR Mini Driver in my bag for the Morgan Cup. It is taking the place of my 3W, not my Driver.

I rarely hit a 3W, as I prefer a larger faced/head 3W and havent played anything I liked in the past few years outside of the 3 Deep. Giving me a larger head in the 3W spot with this one has me intrigued.

This will be in the bag. No doubts about it.

Same thing with me, vman.

Replacing my 3W, not my driver.

It'll be really interesting to see how you bag is set up War. And then to see how it works for you.

I do like JB's though of going with a higher lofted SLDR with a shorter shaft as both a 3 replacement off the tee and a driver. Sort of between the to. I don't know what True Blue and Celdonia play like, if a small (theoretical) loss in distance would hurt or not.

I would guess on most courses probably not, depending on how the long par 4s set up and how the par 5s do.

I know I find myself taking less driver shots off of the tee to better set up my second shot anyways and still score similarly.

Interesting thoughts in here.

I am going to have a SLDR Mini Driver in my bag for the Morgan Cup. It is taking the place of my 3W, not my Driver.

I rarely hit a 3W, as I prefer a larger faced/head 3W and havent played anything I liked in the past few years outside of the 3 Deep. Giving me a larger head in the 3W spot with this one has me intrigued.

This will be in the bag. No doubts about it.

This is my top ponder as well...I've never been good at hitting a 3-wood, not from the tee or the deck. Driver, mini driver, 5-wood.

Great stuff in here today! I have a spot available in my bag that I'm not sure what to do with yet. I don't expect to have this in the bag, but I'm going to hit it tomorrow when I go for my fitting.

I guess that is more where my thinking is. Talking strictly now MC courses, I can't remember more than a few times I hit my 3w off the deck for down there. But I know where I hit it off the tee. So I'm looking at this more of replacing that 3w off the tee. I'm sure it's pretty flawed logic, but I would think that this head would be a little more forgiving than the regular 3w head. The flip side is what you are saying. If I am really looking for that, I should consider a higher lofted driver and just get it to play at the same length. As for versatility, I guess in a serious pinch if I had to hit one of those off the deck, the mini would be better than the 16 driver. Just spit balling things here.

I would imagin that the combo we talked about on the other thread(Mini 14* & SLDR 3HL 17*) would help reduce the the need to even try the mini off the deck but when i hit it at a local store it was not as hard to hit of the deck as i thought i might be
I agree with the your point that the ability to hit off the deck for me is where the mini adds value as a second driver when compared to a High lofted driver with a short shaft
Hitting a SLDR off the deck is not easy tried it at the range a few weeks ago

Those of you who have already got one, or have tried one, SLDR S driver...what kind of shafts have you used? Any custom shafts yet?

I'm thinking of a shaft, by specs it could be good for me, but I know I will never get to hit it here, and if I would go for it, I would most likely be to only one in Finland to have one. At least for a long time.

Only the stock shaft for me so far Hank.

Those of you who have already got one, or have tried one, SLDR S driver...what kind of shafts have you used? Any custom shafts yet?

I'm thinking of a shaft, by specs it could be good for me, but I know I will never get to hit it here, and if I would go for it, I would most likely be to only one in Finland to have one. At least for a long time.

Stock only so far in the SLDR S and to be honest I am not a fan. Not that it's bad shaft, I just don't like the feel.

The main issue that you will have with the S and custome shafts is the S is a .350 hosel so any custome shaft will have to be Shimed in or use one of the rumored .335 hosel heads there are currently no Custom shaft options in the pull downs on the website

Only the stock shaft for me so far Hank.

How is that 10° loft treating you?

I was thinking a 12° for me...my current gamer (913D2) is cranked from 9.5° to 11° and I think the ball flight is a tad high and the spin could be a bit high as well, but I haven't hit it with a launch monitor.
Sure the SLDR's are low launch low spin, but could a 14° be too much? My shaft choice will be anyhow a mid mid/high shaft.

12-14° it will be.

How is that 10° loft treating you?

I was thinking a 12° for me...my current gamer (913D2) is cranked from 9.5° to 11° and I think the ball flight is a tad high and the spin could be a bit high as well, but I haven't hit it with a launch monitor.
Sure the SLDR's are low launch low spin, but could a 14° be too much? My shaft choice will be anyhow a mid mid/high shaft.

12-14° it will be.

When I make a good swing and hit it the correct way, it's a mid liner. With my swing flaws I can launch everything up in the air. But good swings are a mid flight for me. I'm looking to loft up for the MC. Top of my head I'm thinking 12* with Red Tie.

Back