Well that's never happened before.

DrMWP

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a new course today, Mill Creek in Batavia, IL. It's a pretty tight course and I didn't drive the ball well and putting was disastrous. But that's not new or particularly noteworthy. There was something that happened that I've never experienced before and hope never to again.

There were 5 par threes, on all five, I hit the green with my tee shot and proceeded to three putt. Every one. They played from 120 - 180 yds. On every one I had a long birdie putts then a maddening series of knee knockers, 6 footers, double breakers, etc, missed every darn one. I sank putts on par 4s and even a 20 footer on a par five (to save bogie as I had driven the ball OB). On the last par 3 I had less than two feet for par and proceeded to burn the right edge, Vexing to say the least.

Thus endeth the rant.

This game can be hard putting can be furstrating

You need to rearrange your thinking dude. Hitting all 5 par 3s is very impressive. Focus on that. Crappy days of putting happen to everyone.

Agree with previous poster. Great that you hit the greens - some days the putts drop, some days they don't! Things usually even out in golf, and you'll probably have a round coming up where the putts drop.

I had a day somewhat similar yesterday, hitting the driver off the heel, getting no distance. Had 4 3 putts on the front nine (3 jacked both par 3s).... but I came back to post a decent back 9 score and salvaged a decent score (for me).

I took away the positives (that I hit the green on all 3 par 3s) and that if I can dial in my distance control I can still make a good score with a poor day driving the ball.

I guess I also took away that I need to go get some work in (not just on the greens, I had very few short putts all day).

Agree with previous poster. Great that you hit the greens - some days the putts drop, some days they don't! Things usually even out in golf, and you'll probably have a round coming up where the putts drop.

The bold above - Yes they do and when the putts fall something else wont. Just seems the norm that no matter how well things go on a given day with any part of the game there is always another part that doesn't seem to work. I guess iff we can put it all together all the time we'd be on TV :)

To the OP - hitting those greens great job! Hitting greens is a huge positive.

Where the strokes fall that account for the differences between my really good rounds and average rounds: something like 25% in ball striking and 75% in putting.

Just reminds me of my favorite saying about my golf game, "I don't hit many greens in regulation but when I do I three putt for bogey."

You need to rearrange your thinking dude. Hitting all 5 par 3s is very impressive. Focus on that. Crappy days of putting happen to everyone.
This is spot on IMHO. My last round I missed 2 putts of 2 feet and took 4 to get down from the fringe on a par 4 from no more than 20 feet. But I still shot exactly to my handicap as my iron play was generally on fire. I'm going to have my first ever short game lesson.
keep at it...

Take the positives from the round and move on. Missed putts happen. I shanked a drive on a 298 yd par 4, hittin a tree and dropping down near the head of the fairway. A solid 3 wood put me on the green in 2.... less than two feet from the pin. I missed the birdie putt. I walked to the next hole with a vision of that 3 wood that carried the 220 yards to the pin and then put in behind me.

Last edited:
Bad rounds happen. More to some, less to others....(I'm in the more category)

I had an opposite and more pleasant experience, that also "never happened before". I went to the local 9 hole par 3 course to kill some time and practice. I'm new to the game, but I'm improving. On this particular course, I'm usually bogeying most holes, with a couple par's mixed in, and the obligatory 6 stroke meltdown at some point. This time, instead of 3 putting every hole, I birdied the first hole and then parred the next 6 with 2 putts or less. Felt great. Til the meltdown, but I'll rant about that in my own thread, lol.

Totally agree. Or maybe take away that you need to put in a little extra work on lag putting. But 5/5 in GIRs on par 3s is pretty sweet.

The positives from yesterday were, it was a good day for irons. I've been working hard on ball striking and that was much better yesterday. No fat shots and only a couple thinned shots but those stayed on line, just came up a bit short. I had 9 GIRs total and the ones I missed were close. I'm very happy with that.
Driving, which had been very good as of late, was pretty bad and I fought the pull/hooks all day. I should have ditched the driver and used my 4 wood or 3 hybrid, but stubbornly kept whacking away. This led to 3 OB lefts. Something to work on today.

My norm is, 10ft for bird = tap in boogey. :)

Golf is a strange game, you never know which part of your game is going to stay home, but I love it.

It's definitely a course that you play better the more times you play it because of the blind shots/target golf.

That course makes good golfers look horrible. The greens there are tough to get a read on. They never seem consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played yesterday at White Pines. Great day! Shot an 83 that could've easily been a 78 with a couple straighter drives and a couple of really close putts. Greens were REALLY hard, couldn't fly it to the flag, had to run it up.

Played yesterday at White Pines. Great day! Shot an 83 that could've easily been a 78 with a couple straighter drives and a couple of really close putts. Greens were REALLY hard, couldn't fly it to the flag, had to run it up.

Couple places playing with firm greens. Tons of rain and I wouldn't expect them to e as firm as they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back