Trying to Break 80 Club

Played Monday night. Shot a 42 on the front, which included a triple on an easy par 5, that hole is in my head. Started the back 9 with a bogie, then I birdied 13 and 14 and was 1 under on the back going into the par 5 18th. Great drive, left me with a 216 4i into the green, hit it left and had to go over a bunker. Short chip, then long chip left me with a long par putt. Missed it and closed with an even 36 on the back for a total of 78.

Well done!

I am an enigma. I can shoot 80 in any combination imaginable: 40/40, 39/41, 45/35 (okay, I'm dreaming), but you get the idea. I shot a 79 this winter. But lately can shoot an 80 today, 91 tomorrow!!!

i may do something drastic and go out and practice short game. Just one more 80, and I vow to practice at least one hour on my short game.

Similar situation for me right now. Frustrating as i can put up low 80 just as easily it seems as 90s

I had an awesome round today. 18 holes, par 71. Level par.

If only it was qualifying, I would've dropped 2 full points.. to 9.1

I did a bunch of good stuff today but had too many blowup holes to make a run at breaking 80.

I did it today finally!

Been 10 years or so since the last one.

uge6e3em.jpg

e5a8ujy8.jpg

Thanks!

What a weird round. 40 putts and shot 76.

Golf is a funny game.

That was my first thought too. Could of been close to even. But you can't think like that just gotta enjoy the score.

So, it's been 20 months since my one and only sub 80 round. In that time there have been many 80s, 81s and 82s but couldn't get back there. That is until this weekend. Saturday I shot a 41/38 for 79 at Maplegate in Bellingham MA and today I shot 40/39 for 79 at Green Hills in Worcester MA.

Both were great stories. Saturday I was playing a course I'd never even seen before and alone so no "guide" to get me around. I putted very well (29 total) and Driver was on fire. Sunday I started 5 over thru 7 holes, had to take a 20 minute time out for a thunderstorm during which I settled myself and then played the next nine holes 1 under with 8 pars and a birdie. Cramped up a touch coming in (mentally I mean) and went double bogey, bogey but that was enough to hold on to back-to-back 79s.

Biggest difference for me recently... Driver has become super consistent. I recently swapped out the stock shaft in my Super-Tri for a Miyazaki shaft and I now have as much control over that club as any in my bag. Great feeling!

I did a bunch of good stuff today but had too many blowup holes to make a run at breaking 80.
Different day, same story. The numbers don't say so, but I feel like I'm really getting close.

I had an awesome round today. 18 holes, par 71. Level par.

If only it was qualifying, I would've dropped 2 full points.. to 9.1

Amazing. Well done

I did it today finally!

Been 10 years or so since the last one.

uge6e3em.jpg

e5a8ujy8.jpg

My first question is how you have birdies on 2 Par 3's when you make the GIR and 2 putt both holes. Maybe just a mis enter on your part.

My first question is how you have birdies on 2 Par 3's when you make the GIR and 2 putt both holes. Maybe just a mis enter on your part.

Yeah, something is messed up with the app or I haven't figured it out yet since the change over from the old GolfShot to the new swipe happy app. I went back and fixed it it in my app so I don't get off track on my stats.

I think I messed up entering it because it used to default to 1 put if you entered a 2 on a par 3.

New personal best of 81 last week. I think I will get there this summer...

Almost there! Keep believing in yourself, you'll get there. :) My tip would be to focus on the short game right before your round: get there an hour before, go put, chip and hit a few out of the practice bunker. Take your time. Then hit maybe 15-20 balls on the range, visit the bathroom, fill up your water bottle and walk the course. (Or ride if you're a rider). When taking a swing focus on one thing that's easy to focus on and you'll know you'll do well. For me that's the right knee: don't stretch it, keep,pressure on it in the backswing.

Find your procedures and stick to them, you'll be there soon :)

Trying to Break 80 Club

Played today and was cruising right along on the front nine. Only three bogeys and the rest pars for a 38. Then the back nine struck and I mucked it up proper. Finished with a 46 on the back for a mildly disappointing 84. I just could not catch a break, my putter cooled down and that was all she wrote. Fortunately there were many positives and I feel like a breakthrough round is looming.

Last edited:
Bit strange today.

Walked 27:
Front loop: 44
Back loop: 41
Front loop: 38

So 85 followed by 38. Or 44 followed by 79 ;)

Bit strange today.

Walked 27:
Front loop: 44
Back loop: 41
Front loop: 38

So 85 followed by 38. Or 44 followed by 79 ;)

I'd go with 44 and 79 :) You played 18 consecutive holes in sub 80. Makes no difference that you played 9 before that.

I'd go with 44 and 79 :) You played 18 consecutive holes in sub 80. Makes no difference that you played 9 before that.

Agreed. Id do the same thing

Hoping to break this barrier this season. Broke 85 finally last season so now its time for me to reach this. Had my best front of 40 today with 2 doubles but it leaves promise that I'm heading in the right direction. We'll see what tomorrow's round brings. Congrats on the recent breakthroughs guys!

Back