XXIO 8 Driver Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This new line launching in North America very soon has had some major buzz recently with its continued success overseas. THP will have a full review coming soon on the new driver.

XXIO8%20DRIVER%20D-M.jpg

From the company
The XXIO series, a popular favorite among a wide range of golfers, has been number one in annual sales for 14 consecutive years in Japan since it first debuted in 2000. Meanwhile, Sakura Yokomine, Inbee Park, and other professional golfers have scored numerous tour victories playing with XXIO clubs. In order to respond to golfers' demand for a club that is easier swinging and longer hitting, the new XXIO8 follows an all-new design approach focusing on swing MOI to achieve a significant increase of more than 5 yards flight distance over the XXIO7.

New swing MOI approach Analysis of golfers' swings shows that pro and expert golfers take advantage of wrist cocking to increase head speed by keeping the club closer to their bodies during the downswing.

Swinging the club closer to the center of rotation ensures more efficient rotation, resulting in higher head speeds - much like figure skaters holding their arms against their body to spin faster. With XXIO8, the goal was to design a club that decreases the gap in head speeds caused by swing differences between pro/expert golfers and amateur golfers.

This led to the swing MOI approach. Club design based on swing MOI results in a more efficient swing, to achieve higher head speeds with the same swing.

XXIO Technology
High launch angle, low spin, for longer hitting
Weight savings from the thinner crown are redistributed to the rear of the sole, creating a deeper CG to achieve a high launch angle and low spin.
Rigidity distribution in the shaft has been changed to make the grip and tip ends more flexible than the previous model, achieving a higher launch angle.

The newly designed cup face structure with thinner peripheral area results in an expanded sweet spot. The new design is especially effective in reducing power loss on impact due to miss-hits in the lower portion of the face, near the strike point of average golfers.

Head materials
Face: Titanium (SUPER-TIX® PLUS for XXIO)
Body / crown: 8-2 titanium + SUS weight
Construction Face: Forged & Body: Vacuum precision casting

XXIO8-driver-sweetspotchart.jpg

XXIO8-driver-designchart.jpg

Definitely looking forward to this one. Interesting seeing that this seems to be non-adjustable.

Heard of the brand but that's about it.

Looking forward to a review and hearing how it stacks up against the better known offerings here in the states.

really looking forward to the review on this one. Relatively unknown in the US, but hopefully it catches on like Japan

High launch. Low spin. More distance. Tell me more

This brand is huge is Japan. Ive put a few of their drivers to the test when I was over there. Not sure about their current line yet, but previous stuff was top notch.

Their golf balls were excellent as well :)

Interesting. I've never heard of the brand before...will be following along. Like to see some added distance.

Honestly never heard of this brand. I'll be following along. I like options

Never heard of them. Definitely curious to see how the review goes.

Lots to be excited about with this one in my eyes. It's a driver that appears to be made for the more average swing speeds out there. Tons of forgiveness I'm guessing. Love seeing the cup face.

I've heard of the brand, pretty high end in Japan if I remember right. Non adjustable is interesting choice though.

Looking forward to the review. Been hearing good things and can't wait to hear some firsthand knowledge.

Well I'm glad there's more competition in the driver area. I think not only can it give another option to folks, but i think it helps promote more technology innovation as well. Look forward to hearing more.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Gotta learn more about this swing MOI thing. It's a pretty advanced line of thinking for an OEM type club.

I heart high launch. Can't wait to hear more. Love all the tech details.

I've seen these and other Japan products on a couple websites and I've read some very positive reviews of the XXIO clubs in the past. Curious if they'll have limited availability and exposure like Yonex, or if they'll try to compete on a mass scale. Pricing will be a huge factor, of course, and I'm wondering if they'll be priced higher like boutique lines. Anyway, always like what I read and the clubs appeal to my eyes...

I think you will definitely see a higher price. They believe in the brand and technology.

I think you will definitely see a higher price. They believe in the brand and technology.

Agreed. Back 6 years ago with the exchange rate some were innthe ballpark of 600-800$..

I never even heard of these. Looks interesting tho, I'd love to try

Been waiting to hear more about this brand since the PGA Show.

This one stood out to me from the pics at the PGA show as well. Looking to read more. Also, I want to see what shaft is paired.

Gotta learn more about this swing MOI thing. It's a pretty advanced line of thinking for an OEM type club.

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

The tech sounds freaking awesome and makes sense. I like that it is designed to close the gaps between pros and ams.

Loft angle (°)
Lie angle (°)
Head volume (㎤)
Club Length (inch)
Swing Weight
D4 (S) D3 (R)
Club Weight (g)

Flex
Bend Point
Weight (g)
Torque
S
Mid
R
Mid

Loft angle (°)9.510.511.5
Lie angle (°)58
Head volume (㎤)460
Club Length (inch)45.5
Swing WeightD4 (S) D3 (R)
Club Weight (g)272

FlexBend PointWeight (g)Torque
SMid485.7
RMid435.9

The torque and shaft scares me alittle...

Back