What improvements are you seeing in your game this season?

My driving and irons have improved vastly with lessons, practice, and properly fitted equipment. My short game is still in need of a lot of work, though.

I've improved my ball striking. Whether it's my driver, irons or wedges I'm hitting my shots with more consistency & eliminating penalty shots.
If my putting would come around I can get a solid game going.

Sand play is the biggest one for me. I used to be pretty much in for double or worse if I went in a greenside trap, but lately I've been able to save par pretty often and usually no worse than bogey.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Wedge Game...specifically 60 to 100 yards. I'm getting very comfortable hunting pins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I am definitely better at the 20-100 yard shots (thank you Pelz and Swing Caddie). My putting grip and stroke are showing real signs of improvement.

I can't seem to clear my head and just play golf. And I still have the same problem that I've had for years--I can't put a whole round together.

Again Pete, our games sound eerily similar :)

I am pitching the ball with a lot more spin, allowing me to get those partial shots closer to the pin. Also, my ball striking and aim has improved dramatically over prior years. AND I'm finally getting some height on my driver and 3 wood. Still much more to improve on, but I couldn't be happier with where I'm at right now.

~Rock

At Freddie's suggestion, need to get some long irons into the rotation. I only carry down to a 5i but really never hit full shots with it, and only hit a 6i off a tee in the 170-175 range. The 6i has been slowly improving as I have hit more positive shots than not over the last couple months.

At the range last week worked that 5i out quite a bit and was really getting some nice results. Remember to swing 80% and focusing on the right field swing with a high finish to avoid a hook.

On the 1st hole last Sat., a par 5, hit a great drive and had 250 or so to the green. Hit the 5i right at the green rolled out to 45-50 yards from the front. I don't mind mid-wedge shots so that's great. Well by the end of the round I was really hittining everything well so pulled 6i from 184 with a little tail wind and a front pin. Stuck a shot just off the right of the green pin high.

If I can keep this up, playing 5i & 6i shots like I have 7i & 8i's the last few years... this guy's game may be in business.

Putting is better than ever. Chipping and pitching is coming along very nicely as well.

Putting is better than ever. Chipping and pitching is coming along very nicely as well.

Exact same for me! Putting isn't quite where I want it yet but overall these are where I was struggling and lately I've been much better with both. Hoping to continue in the right direction

I lose fewer balls during a round. I don't really feel like I'm doing any better, but my handicap is dropping and I'm scoring better.

Just straight ball flights with no curve on them . I might miss a little right or left ... But no left than hooking left for example . I can deal with straight

Just straight ball flights with no curve on them . I might miss a little right or left ... But no left than hooking left for example . I can deal with straight

I hope you can deal with straight, but yea some draw is always nice.

I had a revelation a month ago when I played my first 2 rounds of the season. I got a case of the shanks that would rear its ugly head around the 16th hole each time. I initially chalked it up to fatigue but then it started happening on the range when I was fresh. Like most people I went to the Internet for the solution. I had to wade through the typical tips that don't work - stand further away from the ball, swing down from the inside, strengthen your grip, etc. I finally came across the best anti-shank tip I've ever read:

"In a good swing it feels like the right elbow and hip are attached at impact, moving together through the ball. Keeping the right elbow in at impact will help many things in your game. It gives you the foundation to be able to draw the ball or hit a power fade. You’ll start hitting shots on the sweet-spot which is a prerequisite for more distance. And, you’ll be better able to get a forward shaft lean at impact."

14 rounds and countless buckets on the range later and not a single shank! Confidence has been restored and I didn't have to work on my swing path. Tucking in my right elbow takes care of it. In fact, I've never hit the ball this flush shot after shot because now my swing is "attached" which causes me to turn through the ball freely. I've had to recalibrate all of my club distances because of the yardage increase. I feel I've got a real chance at lowering my hdcp below 4. Now when I watch the pros swing from the "down the line" view on tv, I notice they tuck in their right elbow at impact. It's most visible on Dustin Johnson. And if I ever hit another shank then I'll know the cause and how to fix it on the very next shot.

Last edited:
Wedge Game. I practiced a lot dialing them in and getting a good tempo going with them. It's starting to pay off now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Driving has been a lot better this year. I know my swing has changed some, but I also put in a Aldila Tour Green shaft, and I have completely got rid of my slice that plagued me last year. A lot different playing from the fairway then the trees every hole. Now I am working on my iron play and putting, and hoping my scores will start dropping a lot more then they have been.

Ball striking. So much better and more consistent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oddly enough for me is increased distance I'm getting with the driver and fairway wood. Not sure of the distance gain exactly but it's typically one less club on approach shots. I'm a scrawny 6'1" guy weighing in at 160lbs. soaking wet. No work out routine either. Just sit-ups, crunches, and push-ups on occasion. I'm flexible and athletic but it must be due to some change in my swing that I honestly can't identify. The only difference I've made is a slower back swing and trying to keep my head down as I "throw" my arms toward the target on follow through. I'll take it and enjoy it while it lasts!

I'm seeing big improvements in my wedge game this year. Lately I'm extremely comfortable from 120 and in.

My putting is decent and my iron game is decent. Now I just need to get better at getting off of the tee.

Last year on this date I had played 18 rounds. This year on this date I have played 40 rounds. I have improved 22 rounds....

Striking the ball better than ever. Getting more consistent means alignment improves. Getting closer with more approach shots. Far fewer big numbers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back