Report: FBI investigating Phil Mickelson

I just see a world now where you are forced to address things like this. It's possible everything is on the up and up. However, I can see media members forcing Tim Finchem or someone to address questions like "One of your biggest stars is being connected to professional gamblers and FBI probes into gambling, sports and insider trading. What is the Tour's stance?" "Commissioner, do you believe there is a connection between one of the game's biggest stars playing below his ability in big tournaments this year, and him potentially owing a gambler for some insider stock advice?"

I struggle with your interpretation of the artlcle. Phil was questioned for possible insider trading not gambling. Did I miss something? Did it say point shaving or illegal gambling ring?

I struggle with your interpretation of the artlcle. Phil was questioned for possible insider trading not gambling. Did I miss something? Did it say point shaving or illegal gambling ring?

The article (and WSJ headline) starts with an investigation into "sports, gambling and insider trading". I don't have a WSJ subscription, so I could only read the first few lines. It said the investigation *started* with insider trading related to the Clorox. That seems to be the only real detail that has been released so far. That leads me to believe there is potentially more. I don't believe that this automatically means there is a big sports gambling component coming to this story, but the idea of sports and gambling being associated was not made up by people on this board. In any case, it could force the PGA Tour to answer questions about gambling, which has always been a big elephant in the room when it comes to professional golf. Players openly talk about their bets in practice rounds, etc. I just think it could cause the Tour to have to address something that is probably better left alone.

From the articles I've read this appears to be bad reporting by the WSJ or writing at least to say it includes gambling, every other article only refers to insider trading and any mention of gambling is when referring to the WSJ article or Billy Walters the gambler.

I'm just throwing this out there. I'm pretty sure their use of the word "gambling" was meant to make the story more sexy to the general public. When you got Phil, a known gambler on the course and in Vegas, and a guy from Vegas, throwing that "gambling" term in the story just makes it more interesting.

Think about the average person. Which of these two sentences is he more likely to be interested in. "Phil Mickelson and Vegas Guy caught in a ring of gambling, secrets, and insider trading." OR "Phil Mickelson, Capital Venturist and Sports Bettor may have engaged in insider trading when they used non public information about takeover bids when buying and selling stock." One of those sentences undoubtedly appeals to a broader audience with excitement and intrigue. The gambling may have nothing to do with it, but it livens up the "story."

~Rock

If you're breaking the law for financial gain, and hoping you don't get caught or face a potential prison term... Well I don't know what everyone else definition is...but I call that gambling with the highest stakes

I think this is similar to many media stories, they are trying to blow it out of proportion or making it sound bigger than it is. I hope it isn't true, I think Phil seems like a standup guy and I just can't picture him doing this of all people. The media just wants to have a big story so they put Phil's name in there and threw in some more dramatic words like "gambling" and "ring" and I doubt it is as big as they are making it out to be.

Truthfully this doesn't surprise me one bit. There's a lot more dirt behind Phil than anyone knows. I have a couple HS buddy's that play on tour, one didn't make the 125 last year so he's not any more, but they have some great stories about him.

Truthfully this doesn't surprise me one bit. There's a lot more dirt behind Phil than anyone knows. I have a couple HS buddy's that play on tour, one didn't make the 125 last year so he's not any more, but they have some great stories about him.
i hope this doesn't turn into a circus like the women issue with tiger . Phil has always been a family man image , the example of what an Athlete should be modeled after . Please , I so hope it isn't women too

The first thing I thought when I heard this last night was similar to Tadashi70s first comment.... does anybody else see the slightest bit of a red flag that the guy who held a press conference last year about only getting to keep 25% of his income after paying all the ridiculous taxes has an investigation hitting him now? I know he was more concerned with the insanely high taxes imposed by his home state of Cali (Entertainment tax along with income tax???....come on man) but he still dared to publicly complain about paying so much to support the out of control spending of another entity.....Too bad he isn't sponsored by TARGET instead of KPMG....then he would already be used to having a big bullseye on his back.

Damn so if he's in prison we don't get his paycheck? Can't they divey up his estate or something for us, I'll take anything

It's a lot of she said, he said at this point. Chances are, if anything were to come of this (for anyone) it wouldn't even happen THIS year.

Then nobody gets anything and we cheer on the future US Open winner? Won't be the end of the world

Coolest Mickleson moment .. Medinah round 1 PGA championship paired with tiger and I believe KJ Choi . 2nd hole ( I was right by the green ) par 3 186 over water . Phil pulled short left .. Deep deep rough . One of the Chicago loud mouths yelled " good luck Phil , take the bogey" .. Phil proceeded to pitch and it lipped out for a sure birdie .. Easy par . Phil looked back at the heckler and said " let's see you try it now" .. True story

Edit .. No was "'let's see you top that " .. Was. Priceless moment during a major . Was so hoping it was on youtube .. But nothing

The first thing I thought when I heard this last night was similar to Tadashi70s first comment.... does anybody else see the slightest bit of a red flag that the guy who held a press conference last year about only getting to keep 25% of his income after paying all the ridiculous taxes has an investigation hitting him now? I know he was more concerned with the insanely high taxes imposed by his home state of Cali (Entertainment tax along with income tax???....come on man) but he still dared to publicly complain about paying so much to support the out of control spending of another entity.....Too bad he isn't sponsored by TARGET instead of KPMG....then he would already be used to having a big bullseye on his back.
My read on that same set of facts wasn't govt conspiracy but instead that Phil may have extra motivation to avoid taxes and increase income, even if it means doing something shady (of course at this point we don't know that he did anything shady).

To Freddie's question about the PGA and gambling...I think the justification would be similar to baseball where player's association to shady characters lead to illegal activities which ultimately threatened the integrity of the game. We are light years from that place with this story but I think something like that is the ultimate interest the PGA would have in dealing with gambling.

If you're breaking the law for financial gain, and hoping you don't get caught or face a potential prison term... Well I don't know what everyone else definition is...but I call that gambling with the highest stakes
Yeah, that's stretch but ok

Coolest Mickleson moment .. Medinah round 1 PGA championship paired with tiger and I believe KJ Choi . 2nd hole ( I was right by the green ) par 3 186 over water . Phil pulled short left .. Deep deep rough . One of the Chicago loud mouths yelled " good luck Phil , take the bogey" .. Phil proceeded to pitch and it lipped out for a sure birdie .. Easy par . Phil looked back at the heckler and said " let's see you try it now" .. True story

Edit .. No was "'let's see you top that " .. Was. Priceless moment during a major . Was so hoping it was on youtube .. But nothing
Must have missed that part of the story posted in the WSJ :bulgy-eyes:

Yeah, that's stretch but ok

i know, when i think of gambling i think of putting money down on a golf round, picking a horse at Belmont, or sitting down at a black jack table. But the reality is, that it's a predilection to taking risk/rewards in all walks of life, not just the obvious ones.

On GC just now they had a host from CNBC show, says they found several large option trades that happened days before Ichan tried his take over of Clorox and those trades resulted in large financial gains for whoever made them, they couldn't verify who made the trades, but it seems those are tied to Walters and Phil. These were trades that aren't ordinary trades, sounds like a large amount of money.

On GC just now they had a host from CNBC show, says they found several large option trades that happened days before Ichan tried his take over of Clorox and those trades resulted in large financial gains for whoever made them, they couldn't verify who made the trades, but it seems those are tied to Walters and Phil. These were trades that aren't ordinary trades, sounds like a large amount of money.
Uh oh.

I saw that on GC as well. I'm really hoping Phil doesn't get dragged through the mud here, unless of course he deserves to be.

Another thing about this, in some of the articles they say this Fed Atty has 85 guilty pleas already out of 90 people, the other 5 cases are still pending. Pretty good results for this guy.

Dang I hope Philly Mick doesn't end up in Club Fed. :at-wits-end:

Phil quote

dusa9e9u.jpg

Back