Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

I can only speak to the BB 3w, but if there's a shaft offering for me better than the stock Fubuki, I'd have a driver for sale.

hit my Alpha for a while on the range, some good some not so good...so many settings to try

Hit 3 drives over 300 today including one over the green on an uphill par 4. Like buck, I'm seeing areas on my home course that I never have before

It is just so easy to hit smooth swinging bombs with the Alpha. It is a little counter intuitive to me that in order to really put one out there I have to dial my swing back a little. For me, that produces a tight power fade to straight ball that goes for days.

It is just so easy to hit smooth swinging bombs with the Alpha. It is a little counter intuitive to me that in order to really put one out there I have to dial my swing back a little. For me, that produces a tight power fade to straight ball that goes for days.

I imagine your smooth dialed-back swing is in the neighborhood of 106-107 mph.

I imagine your smooth dialed-back swing is in the neighborhood of 106-107 mph.
Well, not trying to sound like a total internet golfer, but it is more like dialed back to 112 vs 115. Or something like that. :)

Had a subpar driving round today had a few bad swings and they were just that bad swings but again I was seeing a good 10-15 yards distance gain with this today on the holes I did hit a good shot. I had to put the 3 wood in the bag and I actually used it on 2 holes and my hybo on another 2 holes I think part of the problem was my 3 wood shaft is much more firm than my hybo and driver shaft and I had to swing harder for those shots and took me out of my smooth rhythm I'm gonna look to get a stock shaft in either a 15* xhot pro or 14.5* 3 deep and see if that helps

Hit it 5 times yesterday, 4 were solid, one heeled but all in all was very happy, hosel settings are standard, I switched out the weights & put the 7g on the toe, 1g on the heel

Had some bombs again today that gave me approach shots I've never had. On one long par 4 I'm normally about 140-150 out. Today? 125 yards.

Also hit a bomb on a par 5 that led to an eagle. Love what this driver does for me.

Had some bombs again today that gave me approach shots I've never had. On one long par 4 I'm normally about 140-150 out. Today? 125 yards.

Also hit a bomb on a par 5 that led to an eagle. Love what this driver does for me.

You were hitting it well today, I don't have anything to compare it to, but you killed quite a few out the.

You were hitting it well today, I don't have anything to compare it to, but you killed quite a few out the.

Big thing is my spin is down. Last year I played the amp cell an while I hit it well, I was launching at 9 an spinning over 3500. Never saw any sort of roll out.

Alpha is a completely different animal. Launches higher and spins about 800 rpms less. Huge for me

You were no slouch with it either. You hit some absolute lasers with. Such a predictable ball flight (except for on #6)

Big thing is my spin is down. Last year I played the amp cell an while I hit it well, I was launching at 9 an spinning over 3500. Never saw any sort of roll out.

Alpha is a completely different animal. Launches higher and spins about 800 rpms less. Huge for me

You were no slouch with it either. You hit some absolute lasers with. Such a predictable ball flight (except for on #6)

I was playing for the snap hook and re-teeing to turn a par in to a double, helps keep the handicap from dropping too low.

Just want to update my progress with the Big Bertha Alpha Driver that I have been playing with for probably the last 5 rounds. I have kc720's 10.5° with an aftermarket Tour Green X-Stiff (it's a bit too stout for me) in it.

-I originally had this driver set at 10.5 with the draw bias on, but after 3 rounds of very inconsistent ball flight, mostly hooks and losing balls to the left (which I never do), I made the face angle change back to neutral and it made a huge difference for me, I don't know if it was mental or not, but I started hitting some absolute straight bombs with this thing. So I will be leaving it in the neutral setting for awhile to see how it plays.

-Distance-wise, this thing is out driving my J40 by almost 20 yards. I put it to the test multiple times and with well struck shots, it's just no contest. I am also noticing much better launch (J40 was at 9.5) which seems to be helping to get me that extra distance.

-The sound of this thing is really unique. It sounds a bit muted compared to other drivers I have hit. A solid "thwack" that's not harsh or dull. I liken it to almost like a baseball bat sound, but that is just how I compare it. I've come to really enjoy the sound of this thing.

-Ball flight is a piercing, rising bullet that seems to just carry forever. I have begun to reach parts of the course that I have not been on before, and it is really been fun to see the look on some of my playing partner's faces after a solid drive. I've also become a bit of point and shoot as well with this. I started trying to cut corners a bit on the course and experiment with cutting dog legs out and it's been fun to see the results. Some good, some bad, but it has given me an idea of what I can and can't do with the driver in certain situations.

Overall, I am really thrilled with this driver. I believe I am going to try to snag a Kuro Kage 60 and get an adapter for this driver to have it almost mirror my Morgan Cup setup. I'll continue to update as I get more rounds in.

got another round in with the Alpha yesterday i'm coming to the realization that i can't hit it on every hole cause i'm flying through to many holes that i usually try to get to cute with my drives but i'm putting a 3 wood back in the bag so i think that will help. front 9 yesterday i hit all but 1 FIR where i put a bad swing on it and lost it right. i used my driver on every par 4 and 5 on the front so 6/7 on the front on the back i only hit it 4 times and was 2/4 one was right where i was aiming and rolled through the fairway into the rough and again on 17 i hit a bad shot and it went right. that is becoming my constant miss when i put a bad swing on it i'm thinking about cutting it down an inch as yesterday i was tinkering with gripping down on it to see what results i would get. Still undecided what i will do with that but if i became more accurate even at the loss of some distance i would def do that. the front 9 yesterday was great and how i really see the club performing most times i hit every GIR except the one i hit right but ended up saving par with a long 1 putt. the course i played yesterday was not an easy track either that was by far the best 9 holes i've played there and i don't break 80 there often. there always is a hole that just gets me in trouble. Anyway i still feel like i'm getting used to the shaft but i couldn't be happier with how the Alpha is performing i don't see it leaving the bag anytime soon. i did have a few mishits yesterday one very high off the face where i still saw great distance which surprised me cause i felt the mishit right away and usually when you feel it like that you lose a lot of distance and another off the heel which is the only place that i've found the driver to be unforgiving. the toe has also been forgiving for me which is a miss for me as well as high so this driver sets up pretty well for me. Looking forward to how it continues to improve for me.

Some great stuff in here recently.

Some great stuff in here recently.

thats cause Callaway once again has made an amazing product! i didn't think anything would get my XHOT out of the bag now i don't see it ever going back in.

thats cause Callaway once again has made an amazing product! i didn't think anything would get my XHOT out of the bag now i don't see it ever going back in.

I don't know how anything will ever replace this in my bag either Buck, it's an amazing driver.

taking Alpha out for a full 18 today, should have some thoughts tonight

Hit the Alpha 7 times off the tee, hit 4 fairways, 2 were Bombs, 2 were normal, of the 3 I missed 2 were slight misses one was a bad miss right Ob(I probably should not have even hit it on the hole) Overall I was happy with the results, it was pretty windy & i had never played the course.

Numbers never lie*, but in my recent time spent on a LM comparing Big Bertha 10* to the Alpha (10*, CG down), some staggering numbers became apparent.

1) Alpha provided, on average, 600 less rpm than Big Bertha (2700 vs 3300).
2) This equated to, again on average, 13 more yards of carry. Wow.
3) Alpha had 3 mph higher ball speed (didn't have swing speed data to see if that played a role, but it was consistently higher).
4) While not as forgiving (ball speed way down on miss hits), I struck the Alpha to a tighter dispersion than the Big Bertha.

Again, numbers never lie*, but the reduced spin and increased carry is very shocking to me. By no means is Bertha short, both carry distances best my old driver, but Alpha, OH EMMM GEEE. It fits my eye so well. Next time I can, I'm going to switch shafts and loft of Big Bertha and give it a real run for it's money distance wise. Thanks to Adam Hartzell for allowing me to do this, hope to do it again soon.

Numbers never lie*, but in my recent time spent on a LM comparing Big Bertha 10* to the Alpha (10*, CG down), some staggering numbers became apparent.

1) Alpha provided, on average, 600 less rpm than Big Bertha (2700 vs 3300).
2) This equated to, again on average, 13 more yards of carry. Wow.
3) Alpha had 3 mph higher ball speed (didn't have swing speed data to see if that played a role, but it was consistently higher).
4) While not as forgiving (ball speed way down on miss hits), I struck the Alpha to a tighter dispersion than the Big Bertha.

Again, numbers never lie*, but the reduced spin and increased carry is very shocking to me. By no means is Bertha short, both carry distances best my old driver, but Alpha, OH EMMM GEEE. It fits my eye so well. Next time I can, I'm going to switch shafts and loft of Big Bertha and give it a real run for it's money distance wise. Thanks to Adam Hartzell for allowing me to do this, hope to do it again soon.

Now you can just sell me your big Bertha. Something magical between me and her

Tpluff: I can't WAIT to see you have some fun with this beauty at Caledonia. I'll tell you where and when to bomb and watch you bomb away.

Probably too much club for #1. :)

Tpluff: I can't WAIT to see you have some fun with this beauty at Caledonia. I'll tell you where and when to bomb and watch you bomb away.

Probably too much club for #1. :)

He's gross with the BBA. Watching him on the range is disheartening lol

Back