Youth Golf Accomplishments

Texasbrons

FXDF FatBobs Rule!!
Reaction score
Handicap
My Mouth!!
I searched and searched and couldn't find a thread for parents to post (Okay brag) about their kids golf accomplishments. If there is one, feel free to merge. I found several about someone posting about their kid, but I didn't necessarily want to hijack their thread.

This thread can be used for proud parents throughout THP to post accomplishments achieved by the kids. I'd say even through college. Just because your kid is 20 doesn't make you any less proud of the things they are doing on the course!!

Last year my son made All Conference and missed going to state as a high school sophomore by just a couple of strokes. This year his team has gone undefeated so far with one match to go. This has only happened once before in the schools history. Now keep in mind that while he and his teammates are good golfers, everything is relative. We are talking about a small town outside of Kansas City with a population of 9000. Being outside of KC, we see some pretty good talent, but we aren't talking Texas, Arizona, California or Florida here.

He and a teammate were just interviewed by a local radio station and I thought the boys did a good job considering they had no clue they were going to be interviewed. They were just pulled out of class and set down in front of a mic. If you're interested in listening in, here is the link http://www.soniclockerroom.com/radioshow/2014/WEEK18/PHR_18_F.mp3
Skip to about the 3:35 mark to skip the commercials. This interview was after they won the first tournament on the road to state. Took first place as a team and my son took first place overall!! Looking forward to seeing how they progress the rest of the way. There's a lot of hard work to be done yet.

You must be rightly proud. I don't think you need to compare them, or where you live, to anyone or anything else.. Well done them...

Very cool, Texas! It would-be cool to have a similar story at some point in the future.

I just took my 3 1/2 yr old son to the range for the first time today. He hit a couple 5 yarders, not sure if that is something to be proud about but we had fun, haha.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Hey you got to start somewhere. Every once in a while I still hit 5 yarders too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quick update. Here's a newspaper article. My son is second from the left. http://www.phtimes.net
Don't know how well this will work on tapatalk. Worried about Mondays tournament. He's played the course a couple of times but its been a while. They got to practice on the course today, but got rained out after 11. And to make matters worse, he found out he's got pink eye. First time he's had that. They said he should be better by Monday. He didn't feel like it affected him though.

Well, it's me again as the almost sole poster on this thread, but so be it.

My son just qualified for state!! He plays next Monday and Tuesday in Nixa, MO. just outside of Springfield. He has to place in the top 15 of 87 to medal. He almost had a hole in one. The kids were all going crazy and the ball stopped less than 6" from the cup. More updates Monday and Tuesday night. Hopefully I'll be updating that he was a state medalist.

Unfortunately he was the only one from the team that qualified, the next best score on our team was an 89. Hopefully the team will move ahead next year.

Mine is a ways off from playing competitively, but hopefully one day!

Wishing him luck with the results TB!

Well, he played his practice round today. Didn't keep score because they played the hole, but also practiced from various areas. They had the pin locations marked with white and yellow paint so the boys would practice putting to those areas as well. Didn't know which one was which day.
Send any prayers/positive thougts his way please. He needs to finish in the top 15 to medal. It's a stretch, but if he'll play smart its doable!

My 14 year old daughter holds a 4.5 handicap. Her school team went to the state finals in Florida earlier this year and finished 3rd in the state in their division. She played in and won her second big tournament of the year this past weekend out of 15 competitors. Driving was her strong suit this weekend. Greens were running on a 12.2 and you had to get wedges in to get them to stop. They played from 5,600 yards and she was driving the ball 250. Longest drive of the day was 270. Those aren't ******** numbers either. Cart I was riding in had a GPS and you were able to tap where the ball was on the hole and it would give distances.

My younger son is 9 and started playing tournament golf last summer. Kid is going to be good. He is already shooting par from the ladies forward tees.

Watching your kids play is exciting. Had you told me 10 years ago I was going to be a golf dad I would have told you that you are crazy. I enjoy watching my son play golf more than I enjoy watching him play basketball, baseball, and football. Fortunately, he gave up baseball and basketball this year because he loves golf so much. We are making him play football just to keep him involved in a team sport.

My son is playing in the CIF Central Section tournament tomorrow, top 12 make it to sourthern state in LA. We played a practice round Saturday, he shot a 76 and didn't make a putt all day. I'm not sure how many kids will be there but I think 74 or 75 will get in, he's a freshmen.

TB, I'm seeing this thread for the first time. Congratulations to your son. That is awesome. Keep us posted.

My son will be 3 by the end of the summer. So far, he has learned how to pick up a golf ball and puts it in the correct pocket in my golf bag. He has learned to kick the golf ball recently. He knows the difference between the practice green flags and regular greens. He told me we had to leave the practice green because the flags were broken.

With his plastic clubs, he still swings at the ball with the handle/grip of the club while holding the club head. He makes contact more often than not, which is better than I could do.

I like the idea of this thread.

~Rock

Just really cool T-Brons! I know how proud you are man. Congrats to your boy, his team and you as a proud Papa!

Congrats!

JM

Not sure how I missed this thread, but having a junior golfer I like it! Been an eventful couple of months for my daughter. Her high school team won district and regionals and competed in the Texas 4a State tournament. She contributed at every level, quite an accomishment for a freshman.

She reached another milestone this weekend, making her first hole in one on a 155 yard par 3. Also set her low score in that round, while playing from the men's middle tees.

Well, he played his practice round today. Didn't keep score because they played the hole, but also practiced from various areas. They had the pin locations marked with white and yellow paint so the boys would practice putting to those areas as well. Didn't know which one was which day.
Send any prayers/positive thougts his way please. He needs to finish in the top 15 to medal. It's a stretch, but if he'll play smart its doable!

How did the first round go yesterday?

First off, let me start off by saying I'm glad this thread is starting to grow legs!! I was beginning to think that a general thread where people could post about their kids (or yourself if you ARE a youth golfer) was just going to be me yammering on about my son!! And while I wanted a place to do that, I want this to be a place for all of us proud parents to give a shout out!!

Well all in all, Eric was disappointed in his performance at state. I, on the other hand am still a proud papa. He shot an 89 on the first day and an 88 the second. 68th out of 92 overall. I'll try not to go into a whole lot of detail. His blowup was on the back 9. He had two OB's which absolutely killed him. The back of this course is so tight on some of the holes that you have trees, a small fairway, about 10' of rough, a creek hazard and about another 10' til OB. Doesn't matter what it was, best bet is to play this game from the fairway and he didn't do that on the back. He also had a crazy 3 putt on a par 3. The greens were like industrial carpet on concrete. Crazy fast and he lipped a steep side hill putt for par, the ball rolled further than it originally was, lipped it coming back and tapped in. After the OBs, he played both of those holes par, but unfortunately it's still 3 from the tee. I pointed out that without those three individual mistakes, his first round could be 83 and that he didn't play bad.

Round two he started on the hole 10 and broke out with a par. He was thinking, good today is going to be good. Next hole, he slices a 4 iron OB. Same as the day before, he played the hole par with his second ball, but it's a 7. Two holes later, he cuts a corner, the spotter says "I saw his ball come this way by this tree just off of the fairway". They looked for the 5 minutes, never found it so he goes back and is hitting 3 from the tee again. That really pulled the wind out of his sails. He shot a 48 on that 9, but he rebounded on his back 9 and put up a 40 so finished with an 88.

Really the pressure to perform was off after the first round score and he was just playing for personal enjoyment of the moment. He had a really good attitude, was smiling with the other boys and his coach and I am just as proud of him for that.

We knew going into this that his scores would put him anywhere from medaling at the bottom end of the 15 spots to being about where he did. Fact of the matter is, Pleasant Hill has not gone to state in 4 years so we're looking at just getting there as a positive!! Next year, we are really hoping he gets to go with his team or at least a couple of teammates. There are a couple of boys that are plenty capable of making the cut, they just had a bad run at sectionals.

Now he's looking forward to playing me this weekend. He said I need to play someone that even if I double, I'll still keep honors!! Smarta$$. Unfortunately true though.

http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/DistrictWinnersResult.aspx?alg=23&class=3

Maybe he'll play some summer tourney's.

I'm looking forward to hearing more stories about you're kids!! I, and others, would love to hear stories about summer golf, first tee events, youth tournaments etc... Having a kid that plays, I love hearing the stories about other kids as well.

Really the pressure to perform was off after the first round score and he was just playing for personal enjoyment of the moment. He had a really good attitude, was smiling with the other boys and his coach and I am just as proud of him for that.

That's the part I like best about this. Too many times I see kids when they 'blow up' they also get angry and are just unpleasant (putting it nicely) for the rest of the day. Sounds to me like he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.

~Rock

That's the part I like best about this. Too many times I see kids when they 'blow up' they also get angry and are just unpleasant (putting it nicely) for the rest of the day. Sounds to me like he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.

~Rock

He does. Now after the first round he said "I don't want to talk about it right now". I respected that and later in the evening he started recounting the round and we talked. I thought he handled himself really well, as did all of the kids that I saw personally. I won't go into some of the "adults" I saw/heard and how they were talking about their own kids. Despicable and disappointing is all I care to say about that.

My son is playing in the CIF Central Section tournament tomorrow, top 12 make it to sourthern state in LA. We played a practice round Saturday, he shot a 76 and didn't make a putt all day. I'm not sure how many kids will be there but I think 74 or 75 will get in, he's a freshmen.

Update: He shot 39-41 for a 80, missed making it to state by 3 strokes. It was a windy day and with the course playing close to 6.900 yards made some of the holes tricky. He had 1 double, downwind miss-club, 2 birdies and a bunch of pars and bogeys. Overall it was a good round of golf.

Wow, missed by that little. Most times here in MO, the cut is in the mid 80's, as in 85 to 87 I think. Good news is, he's a freshman and he'll have plenty of time and opportunity to make it. Tell him to keep his chin up and keep working, he'll be there next year if he does. Thanks for the update FSU.

Proud dad over here as my 4 yr old played his first 9 holes today from the 100 yd marker. We didn't take score and kept it light and fun with music in the cart. Here's his final drive of the day on #18 CC of Miami West course. =)

Well done little man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canes that was awesome buddy, that's a memory that kids grow up to appreciate. Wow.

Canes that was awesome buddy, that's a memory that kids grow up to appreciate. Wow.

Thanks Trout. I took him with me to my lesson yesterday and he got a tempo tip to count 1-2 during the swing. He hit that driver straighter than me today lol.

Proud dad over here as my 4 yr old played his first 9 holes today from the 100 yd marker. We didn't take score and kept it light and fun with music in the cart. Here's his final drive of the day on #18 CC of Miami West course. =)

That's incredible!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Well done!!! Love seeing youth out on the course

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Back