How to stop picking the ball?

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I'm not sure what caused this for me, maybe too much time hitting off mats and being afraid of hitting fat?

I do strike the ball consistently currently and my shot shape is generally a straight or draw shot with irons. But I either don't take a divot at all or it's maybe two balls long and a ball wide.

The big issue with my picking IMO is the high LA I'm seeing that is costing me yardage. My 6i LA is 24* when 20 is ideal height is over all is fine in the 95-105 range, the the ball jumps up then rides a shallow rise to the apex then descends appropriately. This ball flight is terrible in the wind as the ball gets either blown off course easily or gets knocked down well short.

Even when not playing in the wind I know this trajectory is costing be distance since I'm effectively launching a 6i and the angle as a 7i.

So the question is how do I quit picking the ball or how do I continue to pick the ball but get my LA down?

Shafts are not the answer the #'s provided were from AP2 heads with 110 recoil and steelfiber shafts in X

I was the consummate flipper/sweeper and maybe still am though I now take a divot. The Tourstriker and Tourstriker pro helped me hit down on the ball better. Another thing that helped was better core conditioning which allows my lower body to clear first.

Where do you focus your eyes at address? If it's on the ball, maybe move your eyes (or focus) to a spot in front of the ball? That helped me make better contact.

I was the consummate flipper/sweeper and maybe still am though I now take a divot. The Tourstriker and Tourstriker pro helped me hit down on the ball better. Another thing that helped was better core conditioning which allows my lower body to clear first.

I agree with Blazer, most likely you are flipping at impact. I like the tips in this video if you can't get a Tour Striker club:

They may not be right for everyone, but some swing thoughts that have help me include: slight forward shaft lean at address, ball in the center of your stance or close to center (center for causes a pull, but slightly forward works), and extending your right arm (rh golfer) before impact - almost like you are pushing your right hand into the ground.

It could also be your swing plane if you are coming inside too much, too early. If that is the case, you might try taking the club back straighter and more upright during your backswing.

I played a round with you and your aren't flipping at it. You have a tendency to stand a bit taller then your address position at impact. This is changing the contact point at impact. Try to dig the knuckles of your left hand into the turf at impact. This will get the hands in front of the club head at impact and get the club to turn over.

I played a round with you and your aren't flipping at it. You have a tendency to stand a bit taller then your address position at impact. This is changing the contact point at impact. Try to dig the knuckles of your left hand into the turf at impact. This will get the hands in front of the club head at impact and get the club to turn over.

Thanks Freddie, I'm relieved its not a flip and I will give this a try my next time out. i'm sure there are other issue in my swing that you noticed but this one was driving me nuts.

Thanks for the Tip Freddie between your Tip and me shortening my swing again I started taking a small divot. My ball flight was much more piercing today on the course and I was getting an extra club of distance. Thanks Again Freddie

Thanks for the Tip Freddie between your Tip and me shortening my swing again I started taking a small divot. My ball flight was much more piercing today on the course and I was getting an extra club of distance. Thanks Again Freddie
Glad I could be of assistance

Freddie I have been working like a mad man to get the knuckle drag feeling and it's paying off with some great shots added yardage and much better ball flight.

If you like books .. I recommend bobby clampbett " impact zone". I think it would be a eye opener for you

Back