THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm down to 13.5 from 14.3 after a few solid rounds lately. My consistency has been much better and allowed me to not blow up when playing courses besides my home one.

It's definitely a touch shot. But it can become a dependable one with practice.

You should look into a 3W that you enjoy hitting. The Bertha is long and straight , but constantly hitting to a weird number that you're not comfortable with won't help you.

You can take your logic elsewhere, sir :alien:

The 3W is the one club I've never been able to get a handle on. I found a XH 3W on CPO, but the couple of times I hit it on Saturday were ugly. My coach had an Adams XTD TI 15.5 that I was absolutely mashing on the range, so I may need to look into that.

The 3W is the one club I've never been able to get a handle on. I found a XH 3W on CPO, but the couple of times I hit it on Saturday were ugly. My coach had an Adams XTD TI 15.5 that I was absolutely mashing on the range, so I may need to look into that.

A solid 3w off the tee for shorter holes or when the driver swing is off is a shot saver for me.

Down to 17.5 after a couple of good rounds that were a little better than the rounds that dropped off. After yesterday's round at Prairie View, trending down another tenth to 17.4.

Thinking about yesterday's round, there were a few holes where I let my ego get in the way of my strategy, and that cost me a number of strokes. Need to work on keeping the ego in check and sticking to the plan.

Avoid that yardage like the plague

Basically.

Practicing that yardage would seem to be the trick, no? I've run into that more and more since putting Bertha in the bag. I always want to hit driver because I'm not missing many fairways, but that wedge shot is tricky.

It's a low percentage shot, honestly. If I am 60 yards out, I didn't use my brain off the tee or on my layup, and no matter how you practice it, if you're on a short pin, the only option is flop and that's about as low percentage of getting right as a 250 yard approach on a par 5.

#Caledonia

I don't even know that I had that distance once last year in the two rounds I played Cale. I just played it a ton smarter, and used my SkyCaddie to decide what to hit off the tee and what it would leave me. Should have used it yesterday from that yardage.

According to GHIN I went from an 8 to 7.5 yesterday. I call BS on it, but it is what it is. Have a couple tournaments coming up next week. 1 on a tough course with freakishly fast greens and another on a course that will play around 7,000 yards. So that number is surely about to get back to normal.

I agree with all of the above. In a perfect world, I'd be able to practice at a 60yd green till my short little heart was content. But I don't. So I don't leave myself that yardage. I can get by in the event I'm somehow stuck at that yardage (say a punch out that ran way too far, or just a terrible shot that left me 60yds) but if I'm on the tee, there's no chance I'm giving myself 60yds left for a second.

I had quite a drop this update, down to 1.5 from a 3.2.

I went from an 8.7 to a 6.9. Had a few rounds in the 70's that helped out. 74 I shot really helped. Just need to keep it up as the goal is to be a 5.9 or lower.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

Index as of June 1: 18.4 Six strokes off my index since November. Been very fortunate to be able to get in some lessons and really focus on my game. Learning to negotiate my misses has been huge. Not it's time to step my game up and be playing my best golf ever in the next two months.

Nice job Steve...I know you have been working really hard and it's great that you are seeing the handicap drop as a result.

9.1 ~ 8.8 with Saturday's round. Would have been 9.4 without it. This system is so crazy and don't feel I'm even close to that.

You hit my BB 3W pretty darn well. A different shaft would do wonders.

Either way, it would help you to get a consistent tee shot that doesn't get you too close to the green.

According to GHIN I went from an 8 to 7.5 yesterday. I call BS on it, but it is what it is. Have a couple tournaments coming up next week. 1 on a tough course with freakishly fast greens and another on a course that will play around 7,000 yards. So that number is surely about to get back to normal.

My understanding is that the MC isn't handicapped. So, you can end the charade already.

:Alien

My understanding is that the MC isn't handicapped. So, you can end the charade already.

:Alien

I want strokes! I shot a nice 91 yesterday. That felt good.

Down to 17.5 after a couple of good rounds that were a little better than the rounds that dropped off. After yesterday's round at Prairie View, trending down another tenth to 17.4.

Thinking about yesterday's round, there were a few holes where I let my ego get in the way of my strategy, and that cost me a number of strokes. Need to work on keeping the ego in check and sticking to the plan.

That's one of the hardest parts! I almost let a huge blow up hole cloud my judgment on Thursday. Next hole I almost just said eff it and go big or go home. Made the smart decision and ended up making birdie. Got my round back on track.

That's one of the hardest parts! I almost let a huge blow up hole cloud my judgment on Thursday. Next hole I almost just said eff it and go big or go home. Made the smart decision and ended up making birdie. Got my round back on track.

Yeah, I should have stuck with my strategy on a hard par 5, but for some reason thought I could carry some water with a 6 iron out of the rough to get a GIR. Doh!

Up to a 6.5 after some so so rounds the past few weeks. I feel like I'm really getting close....although it may not have showed one iota in Indianapolis. My goal of being under 4 by the end of August is a reality and I'm gonna work like crazy to get there.

Trickled down to a 4.7 after this last revision. My club has a tournament called the "Players Cup" that takes the top 32 guys handicap wise and pits them against each other in a match play bracket. No strokes, just show up and play. I ended up 24th at my club and play the #9 seed either this weekend or next weekend.

Down to an 11.5

Excited about that 12 rounds into the season. I think as long as I keep my head down the 10.0 goal could really happen.

I agree with all of the above. In a perfect world, I'd be able to practice at a 60yd green till my short little heart was content. But I don't. So I don't leave myself that yardage. I can get by in the event I'm somehow stuck at that yardage (say a punch out that ran way too far, or just a terrible shot that left me 60yds) but if I'm on the tee, there's no chance I'm giving myself 60yds left for a second.

I'm in the same boat. Learning to stay away from those yardages has been really helpful.

Low round fell out leaving me at 25.4 and nowhere to go but down. I think in a month or so I'll be in a good place.

Went from 11.9 to 12.2. Only 11 rounds played this year, but I have suffered only one blow-up round so far (97 at Kokopelli GC in Gilbert, AZ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went up to an 18.1, I guess some old scores came off. I thought shooting 93-94 at courses rated higher than I usually play woulda helped. But I came away from Indy with some things to work on that I think will make a big difference.

Okay, so guess who just learned about ESC?

After adjusting all my posted rounds for ESC (only 5 needed adjusting), my USGA handicap is 17.5.

I still don't quite understand ESC, but I think I get its intent. I really do appreciate that the USGA thinks about things like a blowup hole and accounting for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back