Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

I was considering a 12* driver, and Jeff/John is looking at 8.5... just wow, I can't wait to see that in person.

I went with the 12* paired with the DI-6s. I have been striking the 12* so much better than the 10.5*. IMO I am achieving the trajectory I want, which is piercing but rising. If I hit this driver square and on the hot spot watch out.

I know my driver hasn't been my best friend of late, however after my lesson here next week I look forward to finding nothing but fairways and some added distance.

So I finally got my hands on one of these drivers, 9.5* with the Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Stiff from eBay. I was worried about it launching low but I got it to the range tonight and I have to say, from the first ball I hit I was in love... The feel of this driver is like nothing I have ever hit. It does launch a little lower than my 910D2, but the ball flight is piercing, for lack of better word. I can not wait to get it out to the course and see how it really compares distance wise to other drivers I have been toying with. I really didn't hit any offline, and any that I didn't catch well would still be in play. Awesome awesome club.

So I finally got my hands on one of these drivers, 9.5* with the Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Stiff from eBay. I was worried about it launching low but I got it to the range tonight and I have to say, from the first ball I hit I was in love... The feel of this driver is like nothing I have ever hit. It does launch a little lower than my 910D2, but the ball flight is piercing, for lack of better word. I can not wait to get it out to the course and see how it really compares distance wise to other drivers I have been toying with. I really didn't hit any offline, and any that I didn't catch well would still be in play. Awesome awesome club.

The J40 just works. It's not as flashy as a lot of the other drivers out there, but it's got a beautiful shape and the results are second to none. Keep us updated on how it works out for you.

The lack of spin will keep this puppy online. I worry about the launch as well but I'm sure it will be fine. Does the ball hang in the air?

Glad to hear you got it out to the range. Told ya! :act-up: Can't wait to hear about your on course performance as well. Spicoli said it well. The J40 Drivers just work.

JM

The lack of spin will keep this puppy online. I worry about the launch as well but I'm sure it will be fine. Does the ball hang in the air?

The ball was like a missile, just wanting to keep moving forward.. stayed up in the air long enough for me and must have rolled out quite a bit, I wouldn't describe it as "hanging" really, seemed more like accelerating, haha. I can see how a 10.5 or the 12 in this head would be beastly.
Glad to hear you got it out to the range. Told ya! :act-up: Can't wait to hear about your on course performance as well. Spicoli said it well. The J40 Drivers just work.

JM

Yes sir, you were right! This thing is amazing. I will get it out this week and chime back in. I was having a little trouble hitting a draw, but keeping it straight and playing a fade were almost doable in my sleep. Anytime I tried to draw it, it would either just stay straight or I pulled it.. I'll keep working with it, it's in the bag for good. JM, of course my last outing with the D2 was an awesome one... didn't miss a fairway all day, it was like it knew it would be getting some bench time. I will hold onto it, but I think the D3 can go!

I've been noticing this a lot lately. I had to send back my Bridgestone test drive pack, so had the decision to play the 10.5* with a PX 5.5 shaft that Matt Maynard sent my way, or my RBZ2 set to 9.5* to simulate the loft I'm going to see in the MC. I don't know if it's the inch longer on the RBZ2 or what, but I see a LOT more lateral movement with that club than I do with the J40. Needless to say, the J40 is going to be in my bag all the way up through the MC, even with a slightly lighter shaft.

I absolutely love my 913 D3, and the only driver I have never been able to test has been this one - and it's one I still would love to hit

It will take something special for me to get rid of my 913, but I got paired yesterday with a guy I've never played with before at my home club, and he absolutely bombed his J40 - sounded great too

I am saving for a Pinehurst trip this fall, so no new experimenting with clubs for a while but I still want to demo one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally brought this out on the course today for nine holes. My buddy and I played one ball for an actual score, 1 alternate shot ball, and then practice round shots. I hit this thing low and straight and I'm not hating it. I've been really strong off the tee the last few rounds and didn't miss a beat with this in the bag. I love the sound of this driver. Much prefer the sound over my RBZ. I'm excited to keep playing it and seeing what I can do with it.

Finally brought this out on the course today for nine holes. My buddy and I played one ball for an actual score, 1 alternate shot ball, and then practice round shots. I hit this thing low and straight and I'm not hating it. I've been really strong off the tee the last few rounds and didn't miss a beat with this in the bag. I love the sound of this driver. Much prefer the sound over my RBZ. I'm excited to keep playing it and seeing what I can do with it.

Nice, dude. I gamed the RBZ for a while and the J40 has a much better feel and sound. I hit it much straighter as well.

I absolutely love my 913 D3, and the only driver I have never been able to test has been this one - and it's one I still would love to hit

It will take something special for me to get rid of my 913, but I got paired yesterday with a guy I've never played with before at my home club, and he absolutely bombed his J40 - sounded great too

I am saving for a Pinehurst trip this fall, so no new experimenting with clubs for a while but I still want to demo one

I said the same thing about my 910 D2. I have a couple other drivers in the garage including a D3 and none of them could out perform my D2. The more I read about this J40 the more I wanted it, and I will say, I am MORE than impressed with it. I will keep the D2 but the D3 will be looking for a new home as I do not see the need to keep another 440 head around especially with the accuracy of the J40. If you can get your hands on one, definitely give it a shot!

Nice, dude. I gamed the RBZ for a while and the J40 has a much better feel and sound. I hit it much straighter as well.

The sound is what really stick out to me. Watching Kuch hit it on TV, it always sounded soft and muffled to me, like the mics were in the wrong place or something, but that is actually what it sounds like on well struck shots and I love that. I have never been a fan of loud tingy drivers. Ok, I'm going to the driving range now....

Quick bump! Currwntly gaming the 445 10.5 with ahina 70x. Ball flight has gotten a bit higher and spinner due to some swing changes (or perhaps I hung out with Canadan too much at Indy). Very excited to put rhe 9.5 head into play with ahina shaft in 7 weeks! This club when struck well produces a tight fade that flies far!

Quick bump! Currwntly gaming the 445 10.5 with ahina 70x. Ball flight has gotten a bit higher and spinner due to some swing changes (or perhaps I hung out with Canadan too much at Indy). Very excited to put rhe 9.5 head into play with ahina shaft in 7 weeks! This club when struck well produces a tight fade that flies far!

If you are hitting the Ahina too high, you must be crushing it. I can't wait to try the Ahina in the 430 head.

If you are hitting the Ahina too high, you must be crushing it. I can't wait to try the Ahina in the 430 head.

You are getting the 430 8.5!!! #Beastmode

I have noticed this ball flight too! Been trying like hell to get some draw out of it, but that just turns into a snap hook... I guess I better get used to this flight. Does fly for a while though!

I have noticed this ball flight too! Been trying like hell to get some draw out of it, but that just turns into a snap hook... I guess I better get used to this flight. Does fly for a while though!

My natural flight is a draw and I thought I had a swing issue at first. Learned to play the fade and its become very dependable

When I demo'd the club I couldn't get it to go left either.

I can get it to go left, sometimes, but not on purpose... :alien:

Continue to be impressed by this driver. It's incredibly forgiving even for a 445cc head, and it finds fairways all day long. When the game is on the line and the pressure is building, this is the driver I want in my bag, which is a great considering the atmosphere of the MC.

Took the 430 for spin the first time today at the range. Shafted up with the ahina, I got a nice, penetrating flight. The first swing just felt right--dead straight mid to high ball flight. Not every swing was perfect, but there were good ones than bad. The feel and sound of the J40 is second to none in my opinion. Can't wait to get it out to the course.

Love hearing this John. It has been an awesome fairway finder for me. Just a solid club man.

Took the 430 for spin the first time today at the range. Shafted up with the ahina, I got a nice, penetrating flight. The first swing just felt right--dead straight mid to high ball flight. Not every swing was perfect, but there were good ones than bad. The feel and sound of the J40 is second to none in my opinion. Can't wait to get it out to the course.
I'm glad you're liking it. I had some of my longest drives with that thing. But my swing is way too off these days to handle that beast but when my swing was on, I was getting the same flight with a slight draw. It was pretty perfect in my eyes.

Cut a 1/4" off my 445 last night and threw on an oversize tour wrap, added just a little bit of feel for me and wanted the length to match my old gamer. Took it out today and was actually able to hit the draw, not often and it took some effort, but I made it happen. Nothing to do with the adjustments I'm sure but starting to see it better. I can not get over the feel of this driver on well struck shots, you just know. I am so excited to hit this club each time that it's been causing me to pull up early because I am so anxious to see the flight. I really need to relax. LOL

Anyone bringing one of these to the OC Invitational? I really want to take a few cuts with one to see if it's as good as I think it might be.

I've been blowing away any playing partners I've had when they see me smash my J40. Most people haven't ever seen anyone play with Bridgestone equipment since it is not as readily available or testable as other companies products in stores. The performance of this club has continued to improve for me over the last year. The low spin and the combination of the Kai'li shaft have made this thing a mid trajectory, wind piercing, long rolling bomber. My average drive has gone from about 265 to 285, and my accuracy is better than ever. I'm a huge fan of Bridgestone woods and the honeymoon period just doesn't end with this driver.

Back