Callaway "Tour Grind" MD2 Wedges.. Info?

I never thought it strange at all to see his name on the wedges. His name is Roger Cleveland and he designed the wedges. Scotty Cameron has his name on putters from his time as an unknown, to CGI, to his time with Mizuno and then Titleist. Bob Vokey has had his name on wedges for years.

The reason I found it strange is that he has been with Callaway for what 15 years? Thought it was funny that all of a sudden it carried his name. I have no problem with anyone using their name on equipment. Just found it all curious.

The reason I found it strange is that he has been with Callaway for what 15 years? Thought it was funny that all of a sudden it carried his name. I have no problem with anyone using their name on equipment. Just found it all curious.

Trying to grab more of the wedge market what ever way they can i guess

Looks like they are coming to retail and I may be very interested...

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2014/06/first-look-callaway-mack-daddy-2-tour-grind-wedges.html

6a00d8341caaef53ef01a73dd05004970d-pi

Straighter leading edge and a little lower bounce on the higher lofts. These could be right up my alley.

Last edited:
Very intresting i will have to give these a go but i really like my 58 U grind

Heard these were coming around. They look great.

These might be the answer to my MD2 woes. I could never get along with the prior version. With a straighter leading edge combined with that C grind it might just be the combination I need.

I was told a mid to late June release as an addition to the regular MD2 line, not a replacement.

On a posting I saw in my email this morning, said it would be out by mid June. They look very nice!

Can't wait. A lot of the Cally guys had them in their bags during The King. Loved the look and they were all very pleased with the performance they were seeing.
I'll be picking up a set as soon as they're released. Especially with my course firming up around the greens.

Here's some info from Callaway about the wedges:

Features & Benefits

Tour Validated Shape
• Crafted by Callaway Chief Designer Roger Cleveland with a straighter leading edge and a higher toe
• The straighter leading edge creates better turf interaction through the ground and the higher toe is a favorite for Tour players. It’s a shape that inspires the confidence you need to go after delicate shots.

Forged High Performance Mack Daddy 2 Groove Pattern
• 39% larger grooves for 25% more spin out of the rough
• Increased surface roughness for more spin and control
• Pre conditions the face to add surface roughness after the micro grooves wear off

Forged Design
• Premium forged in 1020 Carbon steel for the softest feel

Custom Sole Grind
*Tour Grind (T Grind)
- Relief is ground from the heel and toe, so golfers can lay the face open while effectively reducing the bounce angle. This allows for the leading edge to get under the ball with proper sole contact for maximum spin and control.

Finish Options
Chrome produces a rich, muted look that reduces glare
Slate finish is pre-oxidized so that over time it will give you the Tour preferred distinctive, non-glare look

Retail Date: July 18
Retail Price: $129.99 each

Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Wedges – 6 Things You Want To Know

1. I’ve been hearing about Callaway’s new Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Wedge. What’s the story?

Glad you asked. For the Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind, we’ve taken all the core technologies of last year’s major-winning Mack Daddy 2 Wedges and combined them with several new key features, like the Tour validated shape and Tour grind.

It all adds up to a premium forged design built for maximum control, and it gives players the confidence to attack every shot around the green.

Our chief designer Roger Cleveland has worked his magic once again, and expertly crafted these wedges to give players ultimate precision, performance, greater spin and yes, pinpoint control.

These wedges will be available at retail on July 18, with a retail price of $129.99 each.

2. So you’re telling me they have all the best ingredients of the Mack Daddy 2 and even more performance features?

Yeah, that’s how we’re able to give you all that pinpoint control.

This wedge has a new shape with a straighter leading edge, and a higher toe that Tour players really like to see on wedges. A straighter leading edge leads to better turf interaction, so players can really go after the ball from any type of lie.

Another key addition is the new Tour grind (or T grind), a shallow design where the relief is ground from the heel and toe. This helps players get the leading edge under the ball to create maximum spin and control.

And of course, you’ll still get large grooves (39% larger than regular grooves to be exact), increased surface roughness that provides more spin and control, and a premium forged, 1020 Carbon steel design for soft feel. What else could you want or need in a wedge?

3. You’re really hammering home the Word “Tour” on this. What are the pros saying?

What they’re saying is that this is a great wedge. What’s even more telling though is that they’re quickly putting the Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind in play.

We introduced this wedge on Tour a few weeks back, and already these are some of the guys who have put it into play:

Pat Perez, Matt Every, Patrick Reed, Freddie Jacobson, Branden Grace, Brian Stuard, Stuart Appleby, Sang-Moon Bae, Danny Lee and Nicolas Colsaerts.

Again, they’re just some of the guys who have put Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind in play. We built it with a shape that most pros prefer, and as the numbers show us, they’re initial response has been overwhelmingly positive.

4. Okay, the Tour players are on board. Why should a regular golfer play this wedge?

Again, it boils down to the precision and control, and how they can attack the ball on short shots. The shape creates better turf interaction and the grind helps them make proper contact from the rough, out of bunkers or from a tight lie. With this club, they’ll have the confidence to make clean contact regardless of the lie, so they can be aggressive on each shot.

5. Very cool. What are the specs on this wedge?

It goes like this – we have 52°, 54°, 56°, 58° and 60° offerings. Here’s a deeper rundown:

52° - 10° of bounce, 35.375” long, available in left hand

54° - 11° of bounce, 35.25” long, not available in left hand

56° - 11° of bounce, 35.25” long, available in left hand

58° - 9° of bounce, 35.125” long, available in left hand

60° - 9° of bounce, 35.125” long, available in left hand

6. Can you sum up the Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind in one sentence?

It builds on the performance of Mack Daddy 2 with new Tour preferred technology for maximum spin and control, so you can play every shot around the green with ultimate confidence.

Here are a few in hand pics from our trip to Callaway HQ. Some really sharp looking wedges!

vy4apama.jpg
avybehaq.jpg
4a6e2ybu.jpg

Here are a few in hand pics from our trip to Callaway HQ. Some really sharp looking wedges!

vy4apama.jpg
avybehaq.jpg
4a6e2ybu.jpg

I'm not much of a wedge guy overall. But, these look really nice. Can't wait to try one in hand and see how the tour grind operates.

It looks like these come in a 52* i might have to give the Tour grind a shot

Could do without the yellow paintfill, but that is just me. Maybe a nice navy or burnt orange. Now that would look real nice.

I would think Hawk would be all over these. MD2 performance with the flatter leading edge that he prefers.

I would think Hawk would be all over these. MD2 performance with the flatter leading edge that he prefers.

Too late in the season for me. At this point I'm set on wedges and will likely move to whatever I end up playing in the MC afterwards.

Ugh I have decent wedges and a back up set that's barely used but these look great and I love my MD2

These look awesome. I'm thinking of grabbing an MD2 from callaway pre owned just to try out before I commit.

These look great. Really hoping to get a 54 and 58 with nippon modus tour 130's!

I'll probably try this in the 60* and see how I like it before deciding on the 54*.

I think 56 bent to 55 and a 60 with KBS tours will be mine.

Back