Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally did it! Broke 100 for the first time since I started learning to golf last May!

Had a very frustrating round yesterday. Playing a relatively easy muni course (only 5800 yards, 113 slope), I thought I was on my way after I shot a 47 on the front 9. Then I shot a 56 on the back with three big blowup holes, and was pretty upset the whole day.

Then I played a nicer but more difficult course today, and not only broke 100, but shot a 94! The exciting/disappointing thing about today's round is that my putting was beyond horrendous. 46 putts. If I could have putt even decently, I could've even broken 90 today. So it's pretty dang clear where I'm going to have to focus my time on: both putting as well as getting my approach shot closer so that I don't have as many crazy 20-30 foot putts to deal with.

fileid=91820&filename=1401055821&maxheight=207&maxwidth=800

After getting so frustrated and upset with myself over the past 7-8 months, this payoff feels so damn worth it. Finally feeling like all the work and practice I've been putting in has paid off. Now the goal is to keep it in the 90's consistently, improve my putting and go for breaking 90!

Congrats on breaking 100 for the first time.

Something to think about on your putting-

Did you hit more GIRs?

Was your proximity to the hole farther than normal?

Congrats on breaking 100 for the first time.

Something to think about on your putting-

Did you hit more GIRs?

Was your proximity to the hole farther than normal?

Thanks! I did hit more GIRS than I normally do, and yes my proximity to the hole was quite far. I definitely had a lot of problems getting those lag putts close.

Thanks! I did hit more GIRS than I normally do, and yes my proximity to the hole was quite far. I definitely had a lot of problems getting those lag putts close.

I have had a few rounds like this where I'm not taking penalties but my ball is not ending up close to the pin(generally the worst spot to actually be on the green) and this made my stats(putting) look really bad.

Now it's time to focus on getting the ball a little closer when you hit the green and work on those lag putts.

Went 50/48 for a 98 today. Very sloppy on the front, and could have been crisper on the back but had a few good pars coming in and kept it below the century mark. 4/14 FW, 2/18 GIR, 35 putts.

friends. i'm leaving this thread. my last 10 rounds i've consistently broken 100. not anything awesome anywhere form 92-98. i started seriously playing at the end of last year and was shooting 110-105. my advice is simple. use what the course gives you. yeah it's cool to blast a three wood through the trees cause you think you have an opening. next thing you know you're hitting your next shot at the tree right in front of you. just punch it out and play smart golf. don't rush a shot, play your tempo. aim for the fat part of the green. don't worry if you top a shot. don't dwell on a hole. just have fun.

Great advice nikko!

Tapatalk on iPhone4S

Many congrats. Consistent scoring is the key. Gives you confidence about being at that level. Next target?
Staying under 95. Sub 90 is too much pressure right now. Keep hitting irons straight and work on the driver at the range.

2 seasons ago I was consistently in the 90's, then went through some swing/equipment changes and shot back up in the 100's. This season is going to be my break through season, last three rounds were 112, 106, and 102. Just gotta clean up my chipping and I'll get this monkey off my back. Ready to start enjoying golf again!

53/50 for a 103. This course played longer (about 6200 yards) but I made a lot of stupid mistakes. Four holes accounted for 31 strokes which is just unacceptable. Four shots out of two bunkers, and two penalties also contributed. Light at the end of the tunnel was that 110 yards and in, I can really rely on my wedge game to get me on the green, and close. Had a total of 35 putts so that was a decent, not great, but decent game. My second shot is killing me. I need a lesson just on how to properly hit my woods and hybrids.

If 103 is an off game, I'll take it ... I expect to be back under 100 soon.

53/50 for a 103. This course played longer (about 6200 yards) but I made a lot of stupid mistakes. Four holes accounted for 31 strokes which is just unacceptable. Four shots out of two bunkers, and two penalties also contributed. Light at the end of the tunnel was that 110 yards and in, I can really rely on my wedge game to get me on the green, and close. Had a total of 35 putts so that was a decent, not great, but decent game. My second shot is killing me. I need a lesson just on how to properly hit my woods and hybrids.

If 103 is an off game, I'll take it ... I expect to be back under 100 soon.

Take the positives and keep working hard dude!! Breaking 90 is coming soon!

Finally broke 100 for the first time this season, 51/46 with 32 putts for a 97.
My biggest weakness is having a blow up hole during a round that gets me a 8 on the scorecard. Gotta get myself mentally tougher to push through that. Once I clean up my chipping, 90's will come easier!

Last edited:
Back over 100 with a 102 ugh.... Just really frustrated with how I played today. I was feeling so confident about my game and how I was swinging and then this today. I need to get things sorted out and quick

Back over 100 with a 102 ugh.... Just really frustrated with how I played today. I was feeling so confident about my game and how I was swinging and then this today. I need to get things sorted out and quick

Struggling around the greens? Penalty strokes?

Broke 100 for the first time in a long time, and since I started taking lessons ... 43 on front .. 52 on back ... For some reason I stop moving weight forward and watching the ball through impact when "I try harder" ... If I would just relax and swing easy like I did on the front ... But NO I am going to really nail it... Then things get worse ... But happy with a 95 at this stage ...

Struggling around the greens? Penalty strokes?

Penalties and blow up holes contributed to the poor round but also irons were not consistent either. All over the place really

Penalties and blow up holes contributed to the poor round but also irons were not consistent either. All over the place really

You've got 26 days to turn it around. No need for drastic changes, just gotta simplify and clear your mind.

You've got 26 days to turn it around. No need for drastic changes, just gotta simplify and clear your mind.

Yeah I know thanks for the advice Joe I appreciate it. Needed to just vent a little bit. I need to hit the range and just get some solid practice in hopefully this week.

Trying to Break 100

swing changes are tough but keep at it and it will come and just swing the club on the course no thoughts just swing

Broke 100 for the first time in a long time, and since I started taking lessons ... 43 on front .. 52 on back ... For some reason I stop moving weight forward and watching the ball through impact when "I try harder" ... If I would just relax and swing easy like I did on the front ... But NO I am going to really nail it... Then things get worse ... But happy with a 95 at this stage ...

Congrats,

Hitting the ball is never good, swinging through it works much better

Went through a bit of a struggle with ball striking today, but managed to crack 100 again. Had a couple of REALLY bad holes, but somehow was able to make up for them just enough. Putting wasn't as horrendous today because I didn't really have any huge 30 or 40 foot putts to deal with. Still needs a lot of work, but definitely felt better today than last time.

fileid=91984&filename=1401664917&maxheight=215&maxwidth=800

Friday morning went 51/50 for a 101. 5/14 FW; 2/18 GIR & 32 putts. Really poor approach shots left me fighting myself all round. Saturday played a new course with some friends; went 50/45 for a 95. First three and last three holes were ugly; in between I had a decent run of par and bogey golf. 4/14 FW 1/18 GIR & 32 putts. Myrtle on Thursday; aiming to play well this weekend.

I shot a 46 48 for a 94 yesterday. Everything felt pretty good, and it actually should of been better as a I missed some putts to far by for the comeback. It was nice as I hadn't shot under 105 all year and last week shot a 112 at the same course.

Hey JD,

I feel your pain and can still blow past the century mark from time to time. Luckily, my times are more spaced out right now. But the game is difficult and my best solution was playing as much as I could. It helped me. We all just have to keep pursuing our goals. I will be pulling for you.

Same thing here. I shot a 111 2 weeks ago in our first round of a 90 hole 3 day marathon of golf. 20 minutes after leaving the 18th we tee'd off again on the next course and I shot 80. The game is a constant mental struggle.

Keep at it JD!

Played four rounds in three years. Can finally start playing on a regular basis and really studying the game.

Breaking 100 consistently is goal No. 1.

Trying to get under 100. Bit of a long ways off still. I've only played 10 rounds total since I started playing late last year. Played 2, 9 hole outings in the past week and shot 60 and 59 respectively. The week before I played 18 holes and shot 124 (YIKES). I have found that I really need to put the driver away and stick to my 4 wood off the tee for now, I've gotten too many penalty strokes for bad drives. In addition, my putting needs some serious improvement. I tend to overshoot and start playing tennis with the ball around the whole which really adds to my scores.

On a positive note, I had two birdie chances today, both of which I squandered lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back