Help with Big Bertha Alpha authentication

EnglishTurn

Reaction score
Handicap
So I bought just the head off of ebay for $300. There is no serial number on the head and this is the response I received from the seller. I dont feel comfortable sending it back then getting my money. Is the club definitely a fake if there is no serial number?

Seller emailed me back:
I will issue a refund and a credit back for the shipping once I receive the head. Just for future reference I did speak to Callaway this morning as this was a head that I had special ordered thru them with a Diamana Whiteboard. They told me that the heads come from two places. China and Mexico and that heads that are finished in Mexico are not coming out with serial numbers and there was no explanation to me as to why that was. Anyways go ahead and send it back and I will let you know the moment I receive it and rest assured I will issue a full refund along with the shipping costs

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

Does anybody else sense a touch of irony with the OP's question and then his tapatalk signature?

File a case with Ebay and Paypal they will make sure the transaction is handled correctly

So I bought just the head off of ebay for $300. There is no serial number on the head and this is the response I received from the seller. I dont feel comfortable sending it back then getting my money. Is the club definitely a fake if there is no serial number?

Seller emailed me back:
I will issue a refund and a credit back for the shipping once I receive the head. Just for future reference I did speak to Callaway this morning as this was a head that I had special ordered thru them with a Diamana Whiteboard. They told me that the heads come from two places. China and Mexico and that heads that are finished in Mexico are not coming out with serial numbers and there was no explanation to me as to why that was. Anyways go ahead and send it back and I will let you know the moment I receive it and rest assured I will issue a full refund along with the shipping costs

My Alpha shipped from Mexico (coincidentally with a Diamana Whiteboard) and there is a Serial Number on the head.

Does anybody else sense a touch of irony with the OP's question and then his tapatalk signature?

$300 is too cheap for the head of the club that costs $500? Sorry Bilbo dont see the irony. Either contribute to the thread or get back on the porch.

$300 is too cheap for the head of the club that costs $500? Sorry Bilbo dont see the irony. Either contribute to the thread or get back on the porch.

That's fine. I think Jlukes gave a good answer. Otherwise, send the head back when you get it and file a claim through the appropriate channels.

This guy.

Here is a pic of the Alpha that I received from mexico - you can see the serial number between the adapter screw and the club face

berthaserial_zps1136d870.jpg

Here is a pic of the Alpha that I received from mexico - you can see the serial number between the adapter screw and the club face

berthaserial_zps1136d870.jpg

Thanks. The one I got is blank.

Thanks. The one I got is blank.

Now maybe mine was made in China and just assembled in Mexico - I did get mine direct from Callaway before they were available to the public. Just trying to give you as much information as possible.

Take it to an authorized Callaway retailer and they can inspect it to let you know for sure.

I have 11 of them on the rack in my shop, all have a serial number where jlukes posted. Some have an M at the end for Mexico, the others have no letter.

I have 11 of them on the rack in my shop, all have a serial number where jlukes posted. Some have an M at the end for Mexico, the others have no letter.

And there you have it. Thanks Mark.

Callaway said they haven't seen any counterfeit alphas and just because it doesn't have a serial number doesn't mean its fake.

Callaway said they haven't seen any counterfeit alphas and just because it doesn't have a serial number doesn't mean its fake.

That could very well be the case. I have seen new clubs that dont have serial numbers.

Heck, even if a club has a serial number doesn't make it authentic.

Haven't there also been cases of clubs with serial numbers being fake? A serial number isn't the end all be all decider of a club's authenticity. From my point of view, my perspective, I would consider anything without a serial number to be fake and would only buy from an authorized retailer in person.

Haven't there also been cases of clubs with serial numbers being fake? A serial number isn't the end all be all decider of a club's authenticity. From my point of view, my perspective, I would consider anything without a serial number to be fake and would only buy from an authorized retailer in person.

sure, the numbers can be faked but at least if you have one you can call the OEM and trace the club's history. If the number doesn't match a known club or if it wasn't sold to the same person you bought it from, then you know it's a fake. it's not a perfect solution but it definitely helps

twitter Jason finley and ask him

In my opinion, the sellers willingness to accommodate a full refund with no defense of the authenticity of the head is an indication that its not a legit head.

Callaway is given you the equivalent of a non answer so they can't be held liable either way. You'll always question it so I would just send it back.

Good Luck with this. I would be curious to hear how it all plays out.

In my opinion, the sellers willingness to accommodate a full refund with no defense of the authenticity of the head is an indication that its not a legit head.

Yep, that's a common seller trick if they're scammers: offer a full fast refund so they aren't reported.

Yep, that's a common seller trick if they're scammers: offer a full fast refund so they aren't reported.

Guy sent me a full refund via paypal.

Anyone want to sell an alpha head?

Guy sent me a full refund via paypal.

Anyone want to sell an alpha head?

Sounds like he did not want to raise any red flags

Back