How long to give a new club?

No set time or rounds, once you FEEL that you have put in enough swings to see what the club can do for your game and for whatever reason it is not performing as expected and/or as well as others, it is time to move on and end the ride. Sell it while it is still in great condition.

4 rounds and 4 solid range sessions.

As good as they felt trying them out, I knew after the first round that my Adams Super S irons were getting returned. On the flip side, it took me a few rounds to get a feel for my RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, and I'm glad I gave the club some time to work out for me.

I purchased a set of X-Hot Pros last year and was 'quick' fitted into the true temper speed step 85's that were an option. The lightweight shaft concerned me but my dispersion was excellent so I went with them. Well, after a few range sessions and rounds, I was quite concerned as I had lost a good 10+ yards on every club even though these irons have strong lofts. I was geared up for increased distance NOT shorter. Over time, I realized that part of the problem was with my wrist position at impact as well as the high launching shafts. I've since corrected my impact position to get back the yardage and have grown to love the high trajectory of these shafts. I now can count on the ball staying close to where it lands. Different strokes I guess but being too stubborn to give up on the clubs, I have become a better ball striker.

This is a question I'm asking myself everyday after my newest putter. 5 rounds in and I'm pretty sure it's time to cut the cord. I've never had a set amount of time or rounds in the past though. Usually tried to practice enough to get the feel for the club. This putter straight up doesn't work for me.

I normally don't buy a club unless I've had a chance to demo it on the course first. I do uccasionaly buy drivers off of ebay and retire them after a few rounds but they are easily resold at a small loss. I also don't switch my irons, 3 wood, or hybrids very often. Drivers and putters are the only clubs that change often in my bag, probably because I'm never truly happy with my driving and putting.

Back