The road to lower scores goes through the short game....

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
With my scores trending down more and more, I am convinced that bettering my short game will knock strokes off my game in bunches.

I've been working a lot with my Ping 52 degree wedge, in my backyard chipping, pitching and putting area, and it's paying dividends... in landing the ball where I want, but mostly in confidence, which means it's sure to get better.

Today I put one of my JumboMax grips, from the testing here on THP, on the club and practiced for 3 hours from distances of 25 yards and closer. It appears that I have more control with this club than with either a 56 or 60 degree. As long as it keeps working I am not going to question the results... just keep practicing and having confidence to use it in play.

Tomorrow will be its first big test, as I made room in my bag for my early morning tee time. I replaced the 56 degree and will use my 60 deg for sand shots if need be.

Seems to be a lot of mental manipulation going on in my mind as I learn to hit this club as a Gap wedge and for close it chipping/pitching. The big thing, I think, is combining the right back swing/club face combination to control height and distance. Those of you who do well with the short game might jump in here and give some thoughts/suggestions.

10401386_10152241864873401_7927309210309461048_n.jpg

This next photo is near ground level from 25 yards to the green. All the balls in the sand trap were failed 56 degree wedge shots. I seem to get more loft and less distance and am not able to control it like I can the 52 degree. But I'm not complaining, as all my shots with the 52 either hit the green with good loft and spin or bounce off the short rough on front of the green and bounce on with forward release.

10428105_10152241986568401_439532835450950510_o.jpg

Last edited:
Completely agree with this. Not only does having a good short game increase your chances of lowering your scores.... It also helps you relax more. I have always found that when you know your short game is solid that you will have more confidence in the other parts of your games because you aren't scared of missing greens. Your long game also sees benefits as it helps build a solid foundation for the rest of the swing IMO

There's no doubt about it IMO. I shot my lowest 9 hole round yesterday and it was due to my short game. I know even if I have a bad tee shot or approach I can still shave plenty of strokes with wedges and especially putting

I am no great short gamer to offer any advise but what I can say is you are putting in some hard work towards it especially since your yard is done. I'm sure you will receive the rewards for the efforts when out on the course. Good luck towards improving :)

Back