Pebble Beach Yay or Nay

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I will be out in the Monterrey, Ca area in a few weeks and I was wondering...do I try to play one of the Pebble Beach courses? I know the fees are quite high, however Pebble Beach and Spy Glass are definitely on the bucket lists of must plays.

Have any of you had the opportunity to play and what would your recommendations be?

I have never been there but I don't think there is any question that you should go for it. PB is on my bucket list as well.

Hands down would play either one of those courses! I would probably go with Pebble Beach if I had a choice between the 2 - however, go for broke and play both if you have the time!

Go for it!!!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I would say yes, but my understanding is try to get out as early as possible at Pebble

Definitely would be an early round. I normally don't frequent the area, but will be out for business. What the heck I'm going to look at tee times now. I'm going with PB or Spyglass

Definitely would be an early round. I normally don't frequent the area, but will be out for business. What the heck I'm going to look at tee times now. I'm going with PB or Spyglass

I played them last year and I would play PB again tomorrow if I was in the area. PB was awesome. To get a tee time at PB, if you aren't staying at the resort, you can only book 24 hours in advanced. As a single you should get a time no problem.

If you can swing it, why not?

Yeah you should play...and invite me!

Have fun!

It's a steep green fee and the inland holes are regarded as ok only, but I'd still play there in a heartbeat. It's a special place.

It's a steep green fee and the inland holes are regarded as ok only, but I'd still play there in a heartbeat. It's a special place.

I have heard this as well. 7 beautiful holes, and then 11 ordinary ones with some nice houses to bounce your ball off of.

I played them last year and I would play PB again tomorrow if I was in the area. PB was awesome. To get a tee time at PB, if you aren't staying at the resort, you can only book 24 hours in advanced. As a single you should get a time no problem.
Thanks for the info regarding getting booked. I was just looking for that info.

I have heard this as well. 7 beautiful holes, and then 11 ordinary ones with some nice houses to bounce your ball off of.

Well then I guess play some mediocre golf on the inland and strive to play some stellar golf in those beautiful holes.

Time to pull out the TW Golf game.

Absolutely PB. There are some things that will provide memories and stories for the rest of your life. PB is one of them.

Do it and post a lot of pictures

I would play PB it is easy to get a tee time if you are staying at one of the affilated hotels
spy glass is super hard it is frustrating to say the least.
You might also want to check out Poppy Hills it has just been redone

Well then I guess play some mediocre golf on the inland and strive to play some stellar golf in those beautiful holes.

It'll be a fun round for you no matter what. Bring the camera, take a lot of photos, enjoy the history lesson and throw down a ball or two in some of those spots. Kite's chip in on 7, Watson's chip in on 17, recreate Jack's photo on 18 tee. Just soak it all in, and try not to fall off the cliff on 8. I would actually like to play you in July haha

As others have said, if you can swing it why not? Bucket List course & just an awesome place. I've heard Spyglass is a lot harder than PB, so keep that in mind.

I had the chance to play Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay in a Pro-Am and they're all great. If I had to rank them in order I would say Spyglass, Pebble and then Spanish Bay. Like other people have mentioned the best part of Pebble are the holes on the water, where as the inland ones are just OK. By no means do I say that it sucks but I'd much rather play Spyglass if I only had to play one. Good luck and have a great time!

I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity to play. This time of year is often quite nice out on the peninsula as well. There are lots of good courses that have been mentioned, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills and even Bayonet/Black Horse or Pasatiempo up the road a bit.

A fun thing to do regardless of where you play, is go to Spanish Bay near sunset, grab a drink and snack, then watch the bagpipe player close the day out as he marches around hole #1. Its an awesome way to wind a day down.

I can't speak for Pebble, but Spyglass was terrific! Probably a lot cheaper. The 4th, on the water, is a ball buster in more ways than one!
And the crows eat your lunch at the turn, literally.
If PB is on your bucket list, hit that first, but Spyglass is not a bad second choice.

If I had the opportunity I would definitely go for it! Who knows when you'll get the opportunity again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Played Spyglass a few years ago and loved it, but looking back I wish I would have played pebble. It was for my Dad's 60th Birthday so it was a special occasion, might as well go all out, right? The advanced booking was the advantage for Spyglass, 2 weeks, PB was 24 hours, and I wanted to play on a specific day.

I will be back to play pebble someday.

Now I'm trying to find a flight that gets me there early enough. PB is on my radar.

Anyone out in the area want to play as well? I know that is probably a shot in the dark.

For sure play as many of the courses as possible in that area, just a special scene no matter which course. I have played Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay. Both were amazing. Definitely catch the bag pipper at Spanish Bay at sunset another great experience.

Thursday will be the day. Camera loaded up and ready to go. Tee time will be made in the am.

Back