Wear your sunscreen THPers! Skin cancer happens.

Sorry to hear that Barry. Hope it turns out to be the lesser of all possible evils!

As someone who almost never wears sunscreen, it will be an at least most of the time thing for me from now on!
Too many people I am hearing about getting this!

Damn dude. Good thing you are a Marine and this won't phase you. Thinking about you man, hope to tee it up soon.

Glad you are getting it taken care of, Barry. I've had a few spots removed already, so I'm very diligent about applying. What an important message to share.

Sorry to hear that Barry.

Squamous is no joke. That's what my 40 year old pal died of a few months ago (he had a different type than surface skin). But still scary enough.

Very scary stuff Barry, but I'm glad that it sounds like they can take care of it without too much issue. My wife has really drilled into me the importance of wearing sunscreen, and I do so almost religiously on the golf course.

Barry, good luck with your skin cancer. I had a squamous cell cut off my arm last year. It is now sun screen and a long sleeve shirt. Also I go get a screening once a year. Don't let a cloudy day fool you, you still need sunscreen.

Glad they are getting it taken care of Barry! I need to heed the warnings, I work outside as well so I have to get better about it.

Wow this has been eye opening.

I'm thankful for the OP and everyone that shared your stories.

This has officially scared the s**t out of me and I will start actually putting on the sunscreen I have in my bag.

Just got back from the dermatologist where I had gone to have a couple of suspicious spots looked at. One was pre-cancer and they sprayed it with liquid Nitrogen to remove, the other larger spot is likely already cancer or late pre-cancer. Doc took a biopsy of that one and we'll know in a week what type it is and what the next steps are. Its likely to be Squamous Cell cancer which does not spread to other organs and can be either cut out or burned. QUOTE]

YES! Can't say it enough. Your above was me 2 years ago. I went in to have one thing checked out that turned out to be nothing. Doc found a spot on my back that he biopsied and removed. It turned out to be pre-cancerous.
Thank you for posting

Last edited:
Wear your sunscreen THPers! Skin cancer happens.

Hope everything turns out alright Barry, skin cancer is nothing to play with. Thanks for the reminder, I almost always apply sunscreen but I seem to be less diligent about reapplying. Reapplying is the key and I have been doing better lately.

I get inspected by SWMBO when I get home and if there are any red spots, I'm in for an earful.

I always say I put some on. She'll ask if I reapplied it and she doesn't like to hear "well I meant to but forgot". Ha

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning & hope everything works out for the best.

I'll just add that since I started losing my hair, I've always tried to wear a hat outside. This year I'm going with a wide-brim job instead of a baseball cap style, just so I can protect my neck & ears better. I've decided being cancer-free is more important than looking good.

I have a Tilly hat I wear for just that reason.

I have a Tilly hat I wear for just that reason.

My next step for me is buying a big floppy hat. Not going to mess around with this stuff.

My next step for me is buying a big floppy hat. Not going to mess around with this stuff.

Crazy golf clothes and a big floppy hat. You're going to be setting the trends at golf courses nation wide

This is hitting home for me right now. My best friend went in a few weeks ago to have them look at a thing on his leg. It turns out it was malignant melanoma. He went in a week ago today to have it cut out. They cut out a large enough section that it required a skin graft. They found cancer in one of his lymph nodes. Now he's waiting to see what happens next. It's serious business, friends.

Got the call back from the doc earlier today. The biopsy showed that it was superficial Basal Cell cancer. Easy to remove the bit that is left and no chance of it spreading. Going in on the 24th to get the rest removed.

Sorry to hear about your friend Erky.

But a very good reminder to all of us not to take chances.

Back