Remembering D-Day ...

iSukGolf

Reaction score
Handicap
For those of us that are WWII buffs and still have a connection to WWII ... today is a special day ... I like to try and imagine what my dad was doing 70 years ago today ... wow humbling to say the least.

Truth. My grandfather was in the Pacific at the time, but it is very humbling to think of the scale, both literal in in terms of historical significance this day held. I wonder if the men we lost ever had any idea how significant their contribution would be.

Truth. My grandfather was in the Pacific at the time, but it is very humbling to think of the scale, both literal in in terms of historical significance this day held. I wonder if the men we lost ever had any idea how significant their contribution would be.

Good question ... Eisenhower supposedly told the troops "the eyes of the world are upon you."

I have studied and read a lot about d-day and was able to talk to men that had been there ... my dad was a crew chief on a b-26 ...

I truly believe that they were the greatest generation of men to live, it's not a slap to anyone else or other generations but these guys were different. There's so much history as a result of what they sacrificed their lives for.

Totally agree Marc. These guys were just a different breed back then. God bless them.

I truly believe that they were the greatest generation of men to live, it's not a slap to anyone else or other generations but these guys were different. There's so much history as a result of what they sacrificed their lives for.

I saw an article today that a 93 year old from the 101st did renactment of his drop during the invasion and he shrugged it off like it was no big deal. I hope I am just walking at the age of 93 let alone jumping out of a plane.

The more I read about D-Day, that the soldiers knew what they were walking into and were willing to do it, the decisions made by commanders that were made, the sacrifices - they truly are an amazing generation.

My grandfather flew helicopter missions in support of the Normandy invasion, he was also stationed at Wheeler Air Force Base in Hawaii during the Pearl Harbor attacks

When I was younger, I had the good fortune to visit France and I made it a point of visiting Normandy. When people talk about taking the beaches forget, I was amazed at how difficult of a shoreline it was. Once on the beach, it was all uphill. Walking through the football field of crosses on the beach was humbling to say the least.

My great grandfather was part of the lead Canadian forces in Normandy. I only met him a hand full of times before he past away when I was only a child. Needless to say that honour surrounding him and everyone involved/sacrificed is more than deserved.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wasn't even a thought then. I love history, and to think about that situation and what those men went though. I don't know if I would have had the same courage they did. My Grandfather was in the Navy, but due to his extremely pore vision, was no where NEAR the front lines, and he doesn't talk much about that point in his life.
God Bless all those men (and women) who served (and do today), because without them, I'm pretty sure there is no way we have what we have, today.

My grandfather was a truck driver, hauling supplies pretty much right behind the front lines through Europe. He was basically doing what the Redball Express did, just later after we got a foothold in Europe. I think he mostly worked through Belgium, France, and Germany. I have acquired (from his hands, to my father's, to mine) a couple of very interesting artifacts from the time he hauled in supplies right after our boys took a small town near Cologne back from the bad guys.

When I was younger, I had the good fortune to visit France and I made it a point of visiting Normandy. When people talk about taking the beaches forget, I was amazed at how difficult of a shoreline it was. Once on the beach, it was all uphill. Walking through the football field of crosses on the beach was humbling to say the least.

My bucket list includes a visit to find and see the grave of the uncle I never got to meet.

I got to your Pearl Harbor a few years ago. It was an awesome experience listen to the Veterans tell the stories of what they saw that day.

Lee's dad was there. To this day he speaks very little of it. I was fortunate enough to be present for the 50th anniversary when I was still in the Navy. I was on an honor detail back then. The stories we heard, the people we met, and the feeling all of us had while we participated in various events in England, France, and Spain was truly unique.

Thanks for linking those before and after pictures.

Those pics were cool. I love hearing all these stories.

30 years ago today, I was stationed aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), taking part in the 40th Anniversary of D-Day off the Normandy coast. Our part of the commemoration was to to get in formation on the flight deck so President Reagan could see us while he flew overhead in Air Force One. We have no idea whether or not he saw us, but we managed to get soaked by a thunderstorm for our efforts.

Luckily, the D-Day planners were a bit more fortunate than we were...if the invasion had gone off when originally planned (June 4th), the weather could have turned the tide against the Allies.

Agree 100% buddy. My Dad was in Pearl Harbour when they were blown up from every direction. Different breed from that era for sure.

Last edited:
As has been said, they were the greatest generation. It was a suicide mission and the did it anyway........and beat the odds. We are all better off because of them too.

JM

Looking forward to the special on NBC tonight!

Really liked the story on the news where a very elderly veteran in a nursing home in England wanted to go to Aramanche to be part of it. So he just went. The home called the police but they found him in France.. Love it. Bless them all...

My bucket list includes a visit to find and see the grave of the uncle I never got to meet.

I hope you get there. It was a moving experience for me visiting there and that is without having relatives there. My grandfather was in the Pacific and I know he was in the Battle of Okinawa. I never could get him to talk about it before he passed and none of family did for that matter. I can't even imagine how bad it was.

The NBC special was a solid watch.

Back