ball striker

Reaction score
Has anyone demod or pulled the pin on a Grenade driver? I heard the lag and spin rates were something gawd awful.

I had to google to see what you were talking about

I had to google to see what you were talking about

Same here.

Although now that I looked it up, I like the color scheme of the driver.

I googled as well. Seems like Jack Hamm would be all over this... But really no driver swings itself, so I never buy into a lot of hype

Whatever you do don't like them on facebook....their posts will occupy your entire page. Loll

made me think of the hammer POW!

They only offer 1 loft and it's bonded, non adjustable. For $300.00 I can think of many good golf purchases but a Grenade isn't one of them.

I've heard of it, but never seen one in person.

Would never even consider something like this at such a premium price.

For those of you curious, here's what it looks like:

specs.png

They claim higher ball speed and distance. Probably true as many of the long distance competitors use off-brand clubs. Like this one:

Krank-Formula5-Top.png
Krank Formula 5 http://www.krankgolf.com/formula-5/

Anyway, no, I have not hit a grenade but I'd like to try. You just won't find one outside of their website or the Bay. I did hit an older model Krank once and it was very poppy (in a good way) but the Indian is more the problem than the arrow (even though I bought an X2 Hot that I think made me a better Indian!).

Looks like a little kids driver lol

Never heard of them until now
I would not call Krank an Off brand they are a specilty Driver built for Long Drive compeditors

the Bombtech grenade if I remember correctly was designed by some engineering students at the University of Vermont or something like that.

I think there is some science behind it, but I wouldn't plunk down $300 to try it sight unseen that is for sure.

the Bombtech grenade if I remember correctly was designed by some engineering students at the University of Vermont or something like that.

I think there is some science behind it, but I wouldn't plunk down $300 to try it sight unseen that is for sure.

they do have a 60 day satisfaction garantee, but still

Never heard of them until now
I would not call Krank an Off brand they are a specilty Driver built for Long Drive compeditors

I wasn't trying to put down Krank, just meant not your typical big 10 manus (Call, TM, Ping, Titliest, Cobra, Nike, Mizuno, Cleveland, Bridgey, or Adams). That's why most people have not heard of Krank and BombTech. People avoid Tour Edge just because it isn't big 10 and many people, in my experience, would avoid BombTech and Krank (and others) because of lack of familiarity...not a 'brand' name. But anyone on THP that uses Hopkins knows that you do not have to have a brand name to be good.

Anyway, BombTech looks to have decent reviews. I'd be interested to hear any experiences with THP users.

Last edited:
The problem I see with my Bombtech is that they believe their price tag is justifiable because they use higher quality components and engineering methods than others. While this may be true, I think they should start selling their products at a lower price to establish their name first and then raise the prices once they've established themselves in the golfing market.

Exactly. If their manufacturing is more expensive than the large OEMs, it's likely due to a lack of economies of scale on their part. They definitely aren't incurring the marketing costs of the bigger boys AND you are buying direct. It should be cheaper.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

That and the fact that they only offer one single loft. Also....There have been some embarrassingly bad reviews about bad slices, hooks and balls that can't seem to hold a line. By their own admission the Grenade has the highest spin rate of any driver on plane earth. Not sure that's something I'd be bragging about. I wouldn't pay $100.00 for a Grenade driver.

Count me amongst the group that had to Google this driver.

I had never heard of it. Sounds interesting but not for me.

Ok... I dove right into the deep end. :)

I haven't played yet this year due to a myriad of reasons so just think of all the money I've saved?!

Anyway, that was the mindset when I decided to check this club out. Sully seems like a great guy, I liked the story, so I jumped in. What the heck?

Guess what?

It's excellent.

Last season, I played an 8.5° Cobra ZL Encore with RIP Alpha 60X. Great club, loved it until I broke the shaft. Which was the fourth, count em, 4 (four!!!!) shafts I broke in that clubhead. Must be something wrong with the head. Never had that happen before nor since when I switched to a 9.5° ZL Encore, settling with the Accra Dymatch S2-75X shaft.

Wrt variances, I requested from Sully a clubhead closer to 9.5° and square to slightly open. By all appearances, that's exactly what I received. The stock X-flex by Matrix shaft is quality, no doubt, and one which I'm sure will appeal to many. But ultimately, the 4.5° of torque is a bit much for my tastes.

Yet even with the stock shaft, I was considerably longer with the Grenade than my Cobra. I only used the Trackman for two extensive sessions and over those two it averaged 13 yards longer than my Cobra. Only, the Cobra was more accurate and therefore the club I'd have opted for in an important match.

So I swapped the shaft out for an Aldila RIP Beta 70X. I also had it shortened .25" to 44.25. Trajectory is lowered yet distance is similar but the dispersion has tightened up considerably. With the stock shaft, I'd lose a few to the right which is odd as I usually fight a hook. But through only two range sessions with the new set up, it seems the RIP has effectively eliminated the right side. Much more the comfort zone for me.

Contact is solid, explosive, with a bit higher pitched crack, not tingy at all. One thing that baffles me. Forever, my consistent flaw with driver is contact toward the toe, yet with this club, none. I may even hit a few toward the heel, but zero toward the toe. Forgiveness is excellent, thinned shots even go plenty. Curious about toe forgiveness, I purposely tried to hit a few out there today. On three hits, the ball started right and geared back to center with ample distance.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on this club as I'll never claim any golf club to be a magic wand. But I can say with complete certainty and a respectful tip of the cap to Sully, his driver stands shoulder to shoulder with the big boys. Quality stick, strangely alluring as it's so darn fun to hit.

Goofy name, my buddies have already given me grief. But after witnessing my consistency with it, at least one is considering a purchase for himself.

Nice review, WMac! I suspected that the Grenade was not too bad. I love my major brand gear but what the smaller manufacturers have is the ability to dial in exactly what they want rather than try to appease a wide audience and perhaps that is what happened here. Kind of like Hopkins, perhaps. I've seen other decent reviews of the club as well (along with others admitting that the stock shaft isn't a great pairing). Heck, at least no one is likely to counterfeit the Grenade or Krank clubs so at least you know you have what the manufacturer intended.

I don't have to money to spare on such a trial but it would be fun to try.

Thanks for the review!

Back