Tour Talk W/ Jake & Dano - Doral

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a special edition this week of Tour Talk W/ Jake & Dano as they are back to discuss a variety of topics and also announce the contest winner from the Doral "Pick a Winner" contest.

This week's show also includes:
Is Adam Scott Good Looking?
Is John Daly a top 100 golfer of all time?
Is John Daly relevant anymore?
What PGA player would you like to have a beer with?

And so much more. You will not want to miss their hysterical show this week.

THP Radio -Jake & Dano

I loved this show. Even if you did try to call me out about having a crush on Adam Scott. I just love how free flowing it is, you two sound like you are having a great time which to me makes it enjoyable to listen.

Great job!

Dano is absolutely OUT of line...Daly is not a top 100 golfer of all time. No way, is he?

Also I would have to say TW winning the 97 Masters is the golf event of the 90's...but JD winning the PGA in 91 was right up there.

• Admin
Im with you P4B. No WAY is Daly a top 100 golfer of all time. Not even close. He won 2 majors, but as you mentioned in the show he only has 5 PGA victories total. He is a top 100 golf "act" of all time. That is for sure.

Ok Then

Ok Then

Im with you P4B. No WAY is Daly a top 100 golfer of all time. Not even close. He won 2 majors, but as you mentioned in the show he only has 5 PGA victories total. He is a top 100 golf "act" of all time. That is for sure.

Ok then, if John Daly isn't a top 100 golfer, name 100 golfers that:

1. Have more than 5 PGA victories
2. Have two Major titles

I gave myself plenty of room to be right :)

I will be waiting for my list of golfers.

Some times education is the hardest pill to swallow.

2. Have two Major titles

Ouch, that's a little harsh. :beat-up: Is this JD's girlfriend/wife # 42? :confused2:

• Admin

2. Have two Major titles

I have a job that may in fact prohibit me from typing up an entire list. However if you are basing your entire argument on stats alone, should you not include other things such as amount of times he missed the cut, his scoring averages, etc...Wins are important, but so is being able to compete week in and week out and Daly has never been able to do that throughout his entire career.

Here is an older list that has all the players with 9 or more wins. Not majors obviously, but that list alone would dwarf Daly if you ask me.

PGA Tour Career Wins - Most Career Wins on PGA Tour

I also know there is around 20 guys that have 4 major wins by themselves. How many others have more than 1 I do not know.

I firmly believe everyone on that list is a more complete and therefore better golfer than John Daly ever was. I think JD has as much (if not more) raw talent than a lot of those guys, but he has wasted almost all of it. There are probably 20 to 25 guys on the tour RIGHT NOW that will go down as all time better than John Daly.

This week's show was fun though, Dano I always enjoy the friendly debates we have. If you haven't listened yet hop on and check it out! Come back with feedback for us too!!

I have a job that may in fact prohibit me from typing up an entire list. However if you are basing your entire argument on stats alone, should you not include other things such as amount of times he missed the cut, his scoring averages, etc...Wins are important, but so is being able to compete week in and week out and Daly has never been able to do that throughout his entire career.

Here is an older list that has all the players with 9 or more wins. Not majors obviously, but that list alone would dwarf Daly if you ask me.

PGA Tour Career Wins - Most Career Wins on PGA Tour

I also know there is around 20 guys that have 4 major wins by themselves. How many others have more than 1 I do not know.

So Jay Haas with 9 wins dwarfs JD with 5 wins but two majors. Wow... by any chance are you a Minnesota Vikings or Buffalo Bills fan who think close is good enough. Here is a stat for you JD made the cut in over half of the tournaments he entered. He finished in the top 25 18.3% of the time.

I am not saying he is the greatest golf of all time, but he deserves mention in the top 100 golfers.

So Jay Haas with 9 wins dwarfs JD with 5 wins but two majors. Wow... by any chance are you a Minnesota Vikings or Buffalo Bills fan who think close is good enough. Here is a stat for you JD made the cut in over half of the tournaments he entered. He finished in the top 25 18.3% of the time.

I am not saying he is the greatest golf of all time, but he deserves mention in the top 100 golfers.

Making the cut half the time makes you a top 100 golfer ever? The top 100 means HOF, and the only way he gets into the Hall is if he buys a ticket. Jay Haas has close to double the wins of John Daly. DOUBLE.

Here are a few lists he does make. Top 100 in fines, suspensions, problems, Hooters Passouts, breaking cameras, hooters passouts, quitting, hooters passouts, and self promoting.

I think you are forgetting just how few 100 are. Do not forget how many current players there are that are on that list. its clear you are a fan, but putting him in perspective with the history of the game. You are forgetting a whole lot of HOF'ers. Dont forget that list was just PGA Tour, not EURO I believe.

I firmly believe everyone on that list is a more complete and therefore better golfer than John Daly ever was. I think JD has as much (if not more) raw talent than a lot of those guys, but he has wasted almost all of it. There are probably 20 to 25 guys on the tour RIGHT NOW that will go down as all time better than John Daly.

This week's show was fun though, Dano I always enjoy the friendly debates we have. If you haven't listened yet hop on and check it out! Come back with feedback for us too!!

P4B -
Don't let a man's trials and transgressions outweigh his accomplishments and victory's. I suppose you are one of those guys that thinks Pete Rose wasn't a great baseball player....

Darnit now you guys have me all fired up...

I had fun this week even though you are delusional.

Dano!!!

Alright, now it's time to bring this back to Tour Talk w/Jake & Dano. We want to hear your comments on the show. Likes, dislikes, etc...

P4B -
Don't let a man's trials and transgressions outweigh his accomplishments and victory's. I suppose you are one of those guys that thinks Pete Rose wasn't a great baseball player....

Darnit now you guys have me all fired up...

I had fun this week even though you are delusional.

Dano!!!

If you can count a guys wins on one hand, he is not a HOF'er. And comparing Daly's on field accomplishments with Pete Rose is absurd. One holds the hit record and the well, you get the idea. Being a fan does not make him one of the 100 greatest.

I love it.....my partner is squaring off with the boss! Go get em JB! Pretty soon we're going to have to put up a want ad: "Wanted: Guy Named Dano to fill in on Tour Talk with Jake and Dano!" :D

How about the beer thing- JB, you've probably been able to meet a lot of these guys on a little more personal level than us, who do you or would you enjoy a cold beer with?

There are a lot of guys. Sergio comes to mind after this weekend, because I want to know his stories. We have had a beer with a few of them and most are just down to earth good guys. Not all though.

Making the cut half the time makes you a top 100 golfer ever? The top 100 means HOF, and the only way he gets into the Hall is if he buys a ticket. Jay Haas has close to double the wins of John Daly. DOUBLE.

Here are a few lists he does make. Top 100 in fines, suspensions, problems, Hooters Passouts, breaking cameras, hooters passouts, quitting, hooters passouts, and self promoting.

I think you are forgetting just how few 100 are. Do not forget how many current players there are that are on that list. its clear you are a fan, but putting him in perspective with the history of the game. You are forgetting a whole lot of HOF'ers. Dont forget that list was just PGA Tour, not EURO I believe.

Ok. now the comment about the few lists he makes was really funny... Making me LOL!:clapp: Well done.

All I am saying IMHO - a Major is a very tough thing to win, and to say that anything else diminishes the value of the victory (for everyone).

Now if JD had just the PGA Championship in 1991.. I would say, yep I see your point. However, adding the 1995 Brittish Open Championship...

I love it.....my partner is squaring off with the boss! Go get em JB! Pretty soon we're going to have to put up a want ad: "Wanted: Guy Named Dano to fill in on Tour Talk with Jake and Dano!" :D

How about the beer thing- JB, you've probably been able to meet a lot of these guys on a little more personal level than us, who do you or would you enjoy a cold beer with?

There are a lot of guys. Sergio comes to mind after this weekend, because I want to know his stories. We have had a beer with a few of them and most are just down to earth good guys. Not all though.

How come no one asks who I would want to sit down and have a drink with? I have met all the same guys as JB.

I bet you are all thinking it's Adam Scott, but you would be wrong. I would want to have a beer with Rocco.

How come no one asks who I would want to sit down and have a drink with? I have met all the same guys as JB.

I bet you are all thinking it's Adam Scott, but you would be wrong. I would want to have a beer with Rocco.

Rocco would have been my second guess for you GG.

I would probably pick Boo.

Rocco would be fun too... I am sure that would be some enjoyable conversation...

Ok. now the comment about the few lists he makes was really funny... Making me LOL!:clapp: Well done.

All I am saying IMHO - a Major is a very tough thing to win, and to say that anything else diminishes the value of the victory (for everyone).

Now if JD had just the PGA Championship in 1991.. I would say, yep I see your point. However, adding the 1995 Brittish Open Championship...

There are a lot of guys that have won majors that have never been heard from again. I think the list is about 30 deep. But making the cut only half the time is not a HOF, when you only need one hand to count your total victories.

Rocco would have been my second guess for you GG.

I would probably pick Boo.

That's a good choice too. He is a funny guy and is always smiling. Well, except on the putting green. He needs all the concentration he can get there.

Rocco would be fun too... I am sure that would be some enjoyable conversation...

Oh yes, that would definitely be some enjoyable conversation. Do you think he would get scared if I told him I loved him? I told the guys on the Callaway Van that I loved him they looked at me all funny.

Sergio and Rocco are both great picks. Sergio must have really impressed you guys this week at Doral!

It wouldn't even have to be beer, but I'd love to sit down with Arnold Palmer sometime when he's got no where else to be and just listen to stories. That would be fun to me!

Sergio and Rocco are both great picks. Sergio must have really impressed you guys this week at Doral!

It wouldn't even have to be beer, but I'd love to sit down with Arnold Palmer sometime when he's got no where else to be and just listen to stories. That would be fun to me!

You two can sit and chat with some Arnold Palmers (half lemonade half iced tea)...I am such a dork!

Did anyone read Bill Simmon's latest article on ESPN.com? He is talking something re: Tiger but Arnold Palmer was brought up. Quote from the article:
By the way, I was reading the New York Post's story about Tiger potentially playing the Arnold Palmer Invitational and noticed this quote: "A second source said, 'I would be shocked if he didn't play the Arnold Palmer.'" That got me thinking … has any celebrity ever spun off his name into two other completely self-sustained things? Arnold Palmer is Arnold Palmer, but he's also a PGA-sanctioned golf tournament, and he's a drink made up of lemonade and iced tea. You can hang out with him, play 18 holes of him or drink him. Conceivably, you could play the Arnold Palmer with Arnold Palmer while drinking an Arnold Palmer. This should definitely be leading his Wikipedia bio.

That is hilarious!!!

you two are freakin' hilarious. you're like brothers. best show yet. the banter about mickelson and villegas and the hammering was funny stuff.

Back