Looking at new irons

Flylow

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here. Great site!

I am currently in the market for a new set of irons. I just started golfing last year and took my first lessons as well. I am currently a bogie golfer and plan on taking more lessons this year to improve on that.

I have narrowed my choice down to these (I think) and am hoping for any suggestions or advice you may have. TM Burners, Mizuno MX-1000, or Mizuno MX-300.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I think you are on the right track. Most everyone is going to say the same thing, hit them all and find something you are comfortable with. Feels good, looks good to your eye and fits your swing.

The Burners are a great set. Very easy to hit and far too. Played them all last year. Others that are worth checking out are the Cleveland CG7 BP, Callaway Diablo Edge and Nike Machspeed irons. I hit the Machspeeds this past weekend and they just might be my new favorite irons.

I cant give you much advice other than to say try as many as you possibly can and go with what fits your budget, your eye, and your game. I will tell you that the Burners and the MX-1000s offer far more forgiveness than the MX-300s due to more offset, larger club head, etc...The MX-300s are much more in the area of players irons.

I would recommend give Nickent ARC blades a try. I have 08 TM tour Burner iron set as well and have been using ARC blades only for practice but now thinking of switching 100% to ARC blades.
It has smaller heads compare to tour Burner but once I got used to it, I have to say the feedback/feel is much better. Also, I like the fact that ARC blade set can be purchased at $225 right now

I would recommend give Nickent ARC blades a try. I have 08 TM tour Burner iron set as well and have been using ARC blades only for practice but now thinking of switching 100% to ARC blades.
It has smaller heads compare to tour Burner but once I got used to it, I have to say the feedback/feel is much better. Also, I like the fact that ARC blade set can be purchased at $225 right now

Do you really think a golfer that has been playing for just a year should be going to blades? Arcs are great clubs and are quite a bargain, but I would think that someone fairly new to the game would want more forgiveness, not less. Just my opinion.

Do you really think a golfer that has been playing for just a year should be going to blades? Arcs are great clubs and are quite a bargain, but I would think that someone fairly new to the game would want more forgiveness, not less. Just my opinion.

I agree with you JB.. that's why I said give it a try (before buying) :)

Some suggestions that come to mind:

Cleveland LXi's. Super easy to use and should be cheap now that the HB3's are out

Nickent 3DX RC's: Very forgiving and dirt cheap now.

Mizuno MX-950's: Again a few years old, so cheap but very very easy to use.

My one addition to the clubs you are trying would be to swing a set of Ping G15's. I had other sets in mind when I went to buy new ones a week or so ago and the golf pro recommended I swing them. Well, they were by far the best of the bunch for me. As everyone else said, swing as many different brands as you need to. Don't just rely on ratings from magazines or the opinions of others. A game-improvement set would help most anyone that is above a 10 handicap (in my opinion).

It depends on budget but you could look at Titleist Ap1s and dont forget Mizuno MX200s also.

Back