thug the bunny

In Situ
Reaction score
Handicap
This is my favorite pursuit besides golf. Been yaking for about 10 yrs. Actually I almost always fish and yak, but sometimes we clam or crab or just explore. The back bays of S Jersey is our playground. My avatar is a pic I took one morning paddling out to a striper hole. Everything was steel grey and still - just beautiful.

I recently 'discovered' the huge shallow bay right in my backyard which I never paid much attention to because I always thought it was featureless and uninteresting (ie, no real fishing). Boy was I wrong. Last year I first paddled across it, and looking down was like looking into an aquarium. Plants, seaweeds, crabs, fish, shrimps everywhere. So, this summer me and my wife's boy are going to go out and snorkel the bay just like we would in Florida. I'm going to get a GoPro and we are going to take some award winning photos. Look for us in Nat Geo!

I have a Wilderness Tsunami 140 which is my utility boat (I have beat the crap out of her over the years), and I just got a Wilderness Zephyr 160 which is long and skinny and elegant, and I feel like I could paddle her 20mi if I wanted to.

Any other yakers out there? What do you own, and what do you do?

We have a couple 10' kayaks that we take on some of the ponds and rivers here. Not whitewater or anything, just more for short relaxing trips. Taken some of the longer ones out that had rudders and all that, and those are what I'd want if I did longer trips.

I yak from time to time too, but I believe its usually after bad food. :D

I've never been but have been very interested and doing some reading. Advanced elements advanced frame kayak is a possibility next spring.

Not the same type of kayaking that you are used to. Here in MO, a lot of people go on "floats". Basically just sit, drink, soak up the sun and let the river current carry you along. I bought a sea eagle inflatable kayak and I've taken it to Colorado down a class 3 once. I think it's rated for up to class 4. Basically use it on lakes, ponds and down rivers. I'm actually thinking of getting a second one.

My wife wants to get into yakking and my son fishes from a kayak too. May be time to try it.

I yak from time to time too, but I believe its usually after bad food. :D

You should try the other kind - much more enjoyable!

I do Thug. Not as often as I like. Sunset lake, stone Harbor the most frequent trips. Been awhile. I'm due.

I kayak for Red Fish on the Texas coast ... Love it!

Have 2 kayaks down the shore house. So relaxing to take a morning or evening kayak ride through the lagoons

Definitely on my to do list. A friend of mine explored Kauai rivers by yak and just loved it.

I do Thug. Not as often as I like. Sunset lake, stone Harbor the most frequent trips. Been awhile. I'm due.

If you fish, the flounder are big and practically jumping into your boat this year..

I just got an Ascend D10T this spring for fishing. I was so sick of fishing from the shore, but don't have the vehicle or room for a bass boat. It's not very fast, but I don't really care. It's stable so I can fish standing up without any problems and has tons of room on top. I'm sold on kayak fishing for sure.

I just got an Ascend D10T this spring for fishing. I was so sick of fishing from the shore, but don't have the vehicle or room for a bass boat. It's not very fast, but I don't really care. It's stable so I can fish standing up without any problems and has tons of room on top. I'm sold on kayak fishing for sure.

Yeah yak fishing rocks. The only drawback is that you can't zoom from one spot to another. I considered getting a motor boat for a while, but I really don't want to spend all the money and time on upkeep, repair, winterizing, cleaning, etc. I know from some of my friends that they can be real money pits.

So now I'm content to do my 4-6 mi/hr and get a good workout in at the same time.

Yeah yak fishing rocks. The only drawback is that you can't zoom from one spot to another. I considered getting a motor boat for a while, but I really don't want to spend all the money and time on upkeep, repair, winterizing, cleaning, etc. I know from some of my friends that they can be real money pits.

So now I'm content to do my 4-6 mi/hr and get a good workout in at the same time.

Exactly. Last weekend we had a wind blowing from the North, so i just started fishing at the north end of the lake and drifted for a few hours to the South end.

seriously looking into it now as 2nd hobby, and means to get some exercise. I live close to Old Hickory lake here, and there are plenty of quiet coves to explore.

seriously looking into it now as 2nd hobby, and means to get some exercise. I live close to Old Hickory lake here, and there are plenty of quiet coves to explore.

Fresh water kayaking is in some ways more enjoyable than salt - not as much wind, no tides or currents, and distances are generally smaller. Just a bit of advice, don't get a little tubby yak. They are hard to paddle (they turn with every stroke) and people who get them usually give up kayaking without realizing that they probably would have liked it if they had a real boat

I got the boys 2 inflatable to see if they enjoy it and I'll be getting an Old Town Trip 10 fishing kayak.

Picked up today. Better land some big fish!!

ba042aee0d0ee6bb260d56e77519c4ce.jpg

We have a couple we play around in my dads ponds, and local rivers and streams in.

They are a good time!

We've got three kayaks. Two standard for my wife & daughter & one sit on top for me.

I love going for a long paddle by myself in the afternoon. It's about as peaceful as it gets.

Anybody have or seen an Oru Kayak? I love the idea of a lightweight foldable kayak that my wife can transport herself easily.

Anybody have or seen an Oru Kayak? I love the idea of a lightweight foldable kayak that my wife can transport herself easily.

I don't know if it's an oru, but one of my friends had a folding kayak and loved it. He kept it in his car for when he got a chance to get out unexpectedly.

(I know this is an old thread; jump-starting it instead of starting a new one.)

We picked up a Perception Pescador 13 tandem on Sunday, as a starter. We have 4 kids and they all loved kayaking with my brother's 'fleet' last year, and will probably need more at some point in the future. I would like to eventually get a fishing kayak for myself, as well.

What do others have and/or suggest?

(I know this is an old thread; jump-starting it instead of starting a new one.)

We picked up a Perception Pescador 13 tandem on Sunday, as a starter. We have 4 kids and they all loved kayaking with my brother's 'fleet' last year, and will probably need more at some point in the future. I would like to eventually get a fishing kayak for myself, as well.

What do others have and/or suggest?

I bought a 12 foot kayak a few years ago that the previous owner had fitted with a depth finder and it worked pretty well. They have some sweet setups these days that could be a lot of fun. It's crazy how tricked out you can make them.

Back