How do you handle bad holes?

Usually water under the bridge. Exception - when a great drive is lost in the fairway, that really gets me fired up.

I don't handle them very well. I won't throw a club but the occasional SON OF A -/:&)(@ will fly. Then the walk of shame to wherever I shanked, hooked or drop kicked it to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to mutter to myself and then move on. I easily individualize each hole. There are some holes, on my home course and others, that get into my head, causing me to mentally make them bad holes more often than not.

I know before the round there may be a bad hole or more so it doesn't shock me. Usually manage to not let it bother me.

I let myself think about it until I get halfway to the next tee box. Then I start to focus on my next shot and visualizing a good shot.

I usually follow it up with a few more bad holes before I get my head out of my butt and play golf again.

A bad hole is likely due to a swing error and it happens. Once its done its over with, nothing more I can do but learn what I did wrong or what shot didn't turn out like I thought it would so I can practice it later.

After that its gone. Forget all but what you learned you should have done - and why.

Getting angry just gets in the way of preparing to hit the next shot and play the next hole.

Today was another day where thinks just were not working. I kept focus in the match I was playing in but I would run into those consecutive bad holes and shots and hit a great shot but follow it up with a three putt. Just when I thought I cleared out the thoughts they crept back in. Frustration right now.

It depends. There are days when I just laugh it off and keep moving. Yesterday was a cursing, club throwing day (poor etiquette, I know). Fortunately, I think the "just let it go" days greatly outweigh the poor etiquette days.

I'm surprised by how many people are bothered by hitting a house. It's never bothered me. I didn't force them to build a house in my "line" so I'm not concerned if I hit it.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I still have some work to do when it comes to handling bad holes/shots. I kinda tossed my driver towards the cart after hitting a bad drive on 18 today and it snapped about a foot above the head. I'm and idiot! I honestly didn't throw it hard, just tossed it. I guess what I wrote yesterday was a self-fulfilling prophecy because I also confirmed (again) what I said about "two crappy shots followed by one brilliant shot" a couple of times today, and actually did pretty well overall.

Yeah big area of improvement for me here. I will be playing good golf have one bad shot and then it bleeds into a few bad holes. I can usually bring it back in. +4 or +5 for 2 holes then play the next 4 or 5 in even par. I guess that is why we are amateurs and not pros! Thanks for the tips above I will have to try some of those out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the day. For the most part I am good at letting it go. I certainly have lots of practice doing that! But in the course of the day, my ability to handle stress and frustration is like a bottle. At the start of the day it's empty. It builds up over the day, and if I don't figure out how to empty it some, by the end of the day I'm not the most pleasant person in the world. Most days it never comes to this, but it is something I have to work every day at.

What I have figured out, and finally ingrained, is to NOT go golfing when I know my "bottle" is about full. That never ends well for me, and after the round is over I invariably feel like I just wasted one of the few chances I get to play. I am better off just going to my garage and whacking a few balls into the net at that time.

It's taken me a while, but I think I've finally learned to keep grinding. I shot my best round ever (at the time), after a 4-putt double on the first hole.

I will have to admit that it's massively frustrating when I follow up a solid par with a triple. However, even if after the first 6 holes you've already blown your score out of the water, isn't it better to finish the last 12 as strong as you can so your score is say in the 90's rather than the 100's?

Or even if the day is completely gone, isn't finishing the last hole with a bogie for a 108 better than a triple for 110?

Finally, when the train really is off the tracks, I try to just realize that I'm outside on a beautiful course playing a game.

Really focus on hitting a good shot after a bad hole and then try to hit another one after that

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I curse myself out.

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

Back