Lone Fir gives you a hint of Chambers Bay

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
I have another course in mind to enter in the Course Reviews forum, but meanwhile, since I will be playing Chambers Bay, for the 3rd time, I thought I'd share my favorite hole on that very special course and site of next year's US Open, with you. Each hole at Chambers Bay has an appropriate name.... #5.... Free Fall, obviously an elevated green; #7.... Humpback is every bit as brutal as it sounds... a hump with a menacing dogleg right, this 482 yard Par 4 monster will take all you can give to your approach shot UP to the green. And.... pictured here, #15, Lone Fir; aptly named because the Tee box hosts the course's only tree.

I like Lone Fir because this 139 yard Par 3 is a respite from the brutality you've just experienced completing Cape Fear (#14), and getting this far. And because you know you're almost finished. It's been a long walk but #18 is in sight. By the way, notice I said long walk. Chambers bay is a walk only course. Motorized golf cart are forbidden, unless you have a verifiable Doctor's note, which along with $50 will get you a cart and driver.

So... this 139-yard par-3, with incredible views of the Puget Sound behind it. The well-protected green requires careful club selection, and offers one of the best birdie chances you'll get, along with Tahoma (#18: 541-yard par-5).

By the time you've reached Lone Fir, you are probably over-running with angst at the disrespect the course has given you thus far. And, while this is a sort of respite hole, I urge you not to take it for granted. That beautiful view behind you is not only mesmerizing, it can offer up some swirling breezes that you'll swear are designed to ruin your day.

10334305_10152268298198401_4774420081709088031_n.jpg

Last edited:
I remember that hole well! I ended up in the left side of the back bunker after being completely unable to select a club...trying to calculate for the drop in elevation and for the wind we were playing in.

I remember that hole well! I ended up in the left side of the back bunker after being completely unable to select a club...trying to calculate for the drop in elevation and for the wind we were playing in.

I hear that... and that's the rub; Even experienced golfers are taken aback by which club to use. And trying to finesse a draw or fade is only asking for more trouble.

I remember that bunker on the far left being an absolute crater. Good luck if you get in there.

That's a beautiful hole!

Last time I played this hole I overshot the green on the back left (missed the bunker luckily), and had a really brutal slippery downhill putt (not really a putt of course). Managed to keep it on the green and not too far from the hole, got down for 4. Like so many holes at Chambers...could have been WAY worse.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back