Any advice on running a charity golf outing?

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Something most of you don't know about me is my big passion outside of golf is Cigars. So much so that I serve as one of the Illinois Amabassadors for Cigar Rights of America and, more importantly to this post, as the Technology Director for Operation: Cigars For Warriors.

I wont go into detail much other than to say we're a 501(c)3 Non-Profit and if you want to find out more please check out our website and Facebook pages.

Anyways on the purpose of this post. I thought it would be great to run a golf outing to help raise money for CFW. Unfortunately I have no experience in doing anything like this and was hoping people could drop some wisdom on me.

Thanks!

Most of the courses in my area can take care of all that. Just call around and ask for someone who handles events. They would take care of most of the operations, so all you have to worry about is getting people to show up.

From my experiences:
If your goal is to raise money, you'll have to rely on sponsors vs directly from the golfers. We have a few levels of sponsorship, each offering a more prominent placement of the sponsors name, embroidered flag, etc.
Include the cost of on-course games (closest to pin, long drive, etc) in the entry fee vs collecting on the course.
Form committees and delegate.
Keep a budget. If you are going to give prize money for contests or top teams, keep it on the lighter side.
Don't procastinate

You may want to consider contacting Cantigny, I know they actively support our Service Members. (Honor Club) I think that might make it a good fit. I recently played in an outing there and they did a great job of putting it on.

http://www.cantignygolf.com/golfcourse/specials.aspx

Call a couple course that you'd be interested in holding it at and find out cost per player, dinner/lunch cost and beverage costs. They should have a package or several packages.

Negotiate everything you possibly can as far as price goes.

You need to also figure out miscellaneous costs such as gift bags(what you want to put in them) or get them donated, shirts will you do t-shirts or polo's? Raffle tickets, sponsor signs or pin flags, banners

Raffle/silent Auction prizes will you be able to get everything donated or will you have to come out of pocket?

From my experience the golfers should cover the price of the course/meal/beverages, your sponsors, raffle 50/50 and side games should be pure profit.

myndcraft,

im on the board of directors for Goodwill in my area and serve on our golf tournament committee. Here are a even things I've learned that you may find helpful:

1) find a few (3-5) courses you like and contact them about hosting the tournament. They should have experience doing this and should be able to do most of the hosting work for you, i.e., scorecards, tournament direction, setup and space for sign in, score keeping, figure out who gets awards. (Though you provide the awards themselves), and a meal. They should do all of this for a fixed fee. This is your biggest expense.

2) sponsors are your biggest income. You need to sell different sponsorship levels, the top level getting the most exposure and maybe two foursomes in the tournament. Subsequently lower sponsorship levels getting lower exposure. Only the top three (or so) tiers of sponsors should get foursomes as part of their sponsorship. Tee signs are low level sponsorships that can generate a lot of money. You can also charge for individual golfers and non-sponsor foursomes.

3) things like hole in one sponsors and putting contest sponsors should be free for you and the course you select should have the contacts necessary to help you get them for your event (or the course can do it itself). Some of them may ask for the contact information for all participants in the event.

4) things like a silent auction (or a live auction), raffle, buy mulligans, and/or buy-up a tee shot are also good money makers. For auction and raffle you should get donors to donate the items. Many courses and clubs will donate foursomes.

5) need to consider timing and size. You want to make sure you aren't competing against another golf or other major charity event. Also you want to make sure (I think) that you don't get too big, we specifically limit our event to about 100 golfers, this helps prevent the event from getting bogged down and allows everyone to have a good time.

Starting one of these tournaments is tough. You need to get a lot of publicity to make sure you get enough participation to cover your costs...the hosting course doesn't care whether you have enough participation to break even or make money, they are going to get paid no matter what. But it can be great if done right. We've been doing it four years now and we sell out within about two weeks now.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Back