Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

Meant to post in here earlier but Sunday was my first round with the SM5s. Picked up a 50 with a F grind along with a 54 with a S grind. The change in grinds were a noticeable improvement for me and I really like how easy these are to hit.

Used the 54 from 80 yards in a 3/4 quarter swing and had a lot of control with it.

Will eventually add a 58 with a K Grind and thinking I am going the with raw black finish on that one.

Meant to post in here earlier but Sunday was my first round with the SM5s. Picked up a 50 with a F grind along with a 54 with a S grind. The change in grinds were a noticeable improvement for me and I really like how easy these are to hit.

Used the 54 from 80 yards in a 3/4 quarter swing and had a lot of control with it.

Will eventually add a 58 with a K Grind and thinking I am going the with raw black finish on that one.

Very nice. One thing I will state is that it is amazing to me how well the black finish is holding up on my wedges I have not oiled at all since I first got them and see no signs of rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!

So lightningbolt44 sent me a 60* to try out. I'm usually a high bounce guy but figured what the heck.

What an amazing club. I spin no balls but had a ton check up and was stunned. A very soft face you really know when you caught one on the cookies. Rather than babble on I'll let pics do the talking.

First 10 balls...#1 is that awesome shot bladed over the green. All of these were 15 yards off of green from fairway. Hello gimmees.
evereja3.jpg

Then I dropped 9 balls down in random spots from a few yards in front of green out to 15 yards.
y7e7azyz.jpg

For those that know me my short game has been pretty toxic to say the least. And while I've improved with lots of practice I've never seen results like this.

I have no business doing it but I kinda lust a 56* right now.

Just picked up a 54 in M grind today can't wait to put it through the paces, it is my first Vokey wedge.

I need to try one of these with a F or K-Grind. Like what I'm seeing here about these....

First round with my 60. Twp bunker shots, two sand saves. Need to get use to it from about 75 yards out though. From the bunker though, the grind works so well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow!

So lightningbolt44 sent me a 60* to try out. I'm usually a high bounce guy but figured what the heck.

What an amazing club. I spin no balls but had a ton check up and was stunned. A very soft face you really know when you caught one on the cookies. Rather than babble on I'll let pics do the talking.

First 10 balls...#1 is that awesome shot bladed over the green. All of these were 15 yards off of green from fairway. Hello gimmees.
evereja3.jpg

Then I dropped 9 balls down in random spots from a few yards in front of green out to 15 yards.
y7e7azyz.jpg

For those that know me my short game has been pretty toxic to say the least. And while I've improved with lots of practice I've never seen results like this.

I have no business doing it but I kinda lust a 56* right now.

Looks like Low bounce worked out well for you during the first practice session. Looks like you may not even need to reshaft :). Now the question is do you stick with the low bounce if you go with a 56?
Also curious was it normal Ohio conditions (wet)?

Looks like Low bounce worked out well for you during the first practice session. Looks like you may not even need to reshaft :). Now the question is do you stick with the low bounce if you go with a 56?
Also curious was it normal Ohio conditions (wet)?
Tough to say gonna give it a few more runs. conditions were not super dry cause it had rained earlier but not soaking wet...kinds in the middle and the fairway area wasn't super tight I was chipping from

I've got a few rounds on SM5's now and I'm extremely happy with them. My 57° is showing some good wear, but no rust yet. I spent a lot time hitting pitches and some bunker practice with it wore the black right off with no problem. My 52° isn't showing nearly as much wear but I haven't hit it has much either. I spent some range time working on dialing in the distance with them today and spent some time on a Par3 course hitting them. One thing I love about the M Grind on my 57 is that I can open it up and slide it right under on tight lie and pop it up and get some great spin on it. Or splash one of a sloppy lie in the rough around the green. This probably the best wedge I have played..

I've got a few rounds on SM5's now and I'm extremely happy with them. My 57° is showing some good wear, but no rust yet. I spent a lot time hitting pitches and some bunker practice with it wore the black right off with no problem. My 52° isn't showing nearly as much wear but I haven't hit it has much either. I spent some range time working on dialing in the distance with them today and spent some time on a Par3 course hitting them. One thing I love about the M Grind on my 57 is that I can open it up and slide it right under on tight lie and pop it up and get some great spin on it. Or splash one of a sloppy lie in the rough around the green. This probably the best wedge I have played..

Nice dude! Just rolling with the 2 wedge setup at 52/57 is pretty sweet. Like that gapping

Nice dude! Just rolling with the 2 wedge setup at 52/57 is pretty sweet. Like that gapping
Really makes it very simple. PW is 47, gap is 52, sand is 57. Forces me to not have a crutch around the green. My 60° SM2 was a crutch for me till I took it out of the bag. I didn't like that. This makes me work and learn how to use the different lofts around the green. It's been a learning process on figuring out how far I can hit them with different swings, but it's coming around. It's going to make me more complete player around the green.

What exactly makes a wedge a 'crutch'?

What exactly makes a wedge a 'crutch'?
I would use it for everything. Even if it wasn't really the correct play. I became comfortable with it no matter the shot. It limited my creativity around the green. It was just easy to grab my 60° MAKE it work. Touch shots around the green should just come from feel naturally, not something that is made to work because I have limited myself to one club...

Deano that is ridiculous I know your lack of short game and for you to have success like this is crazy and I like it.

I would use it for everything. Even if it wasn't really the correct play. I became comfortable with it no matter the shot. It limited my creativity around the green. It was just easy to grab my 60° MAKE it work. Touch shots around the green should just come from feel naturally, not something that is made to work because I have limited myself to one club...

Interesting for sure.
I am one of those guys that uses my 60 wedge for almost every shot inside of 90 yards. I can hit it high, low, spinning or running and I am very comfortable with it from any lie. I came from the other direction where I used to use a variety of every club from my 7i to my lob wedge but since switching to the 'crutch' method my short game has improved by leaps and bounds.
I guess I've never thought of this as a step backwards but I guess I can see it being a way of limiting my growth as a golfer.

Deano that is ridiculous I know your lack of short game and for you to have success like this is crazy and I like it.
Yeah I even got my 588 out and went back and forth and was just better with the sm5

Interesting for sure.
I am one of those guys that uses my 60 wedge for almost every shot inside of 90 yards. I can hit it high, low, spinning or running and I am very comfortable with it from any lie. I came from the other direction where I used to use a variety of every club from my 7i to my lob wedge but since switching to the 'crutch' method my short game has improved by leaps and bounds.
I guess I've never thought of this as a step backwards but I guess I can see it being a way of limiting my growth as a golfer.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with that method or that's it's a step backwards. That's what makes golf great, what made your game better I felt was limiting my game. For me as I played other courses I found that I was forcing it and it was feeling unnatural for me. And that's why Vokey offered so many grind options in the SM5 line this year...because everyone's game is different. Love this type of discussion.

Yeah I even got my 588 out and went back and forth and was just better with the sm5

Hmmm interesting

I really need to work on not have a crutch wedge, my 56 does almost every partial swing shot. I will be changing my setup soon so the grind options in the SM5 maybe what I need to give me more options

What grind was on that wedge you were using 441?

Not surprised lower bounce works for you. Guys like you and I can get away with it. I just had my first double jack out of the bunker on Sunday since I don't know how long ago. Ball was way above my feet and I just got too much sand.

Black is wearing now. No rust though. I like how it looks. I think I'd get all black if I could.

Not surprised lower bounce works for you. Guys like you and I can get away with it. I just had my first double jack out of the bunker on Sunday since I don't know how long ago. Ball was way above my feet and I just got too much sand.

Black is wearing now. No rust though. I like how it looks. I think I'd get all black if I could.
Haha I can't remember I'll look tonight unless lightningbolt44 chimes in.
I was awful with it yesterday but it wasn't the club. back at it tomorrow to see if I'm still in love. definitely want to get some sand work in with it too

Haha I can't remember I'll look tonight unless lightningbolt44 chimes in.
I was awful with it yesterday but it wasn't the club. back at it tomorrow to see if I'm still in love. definitely want to get some sand work in with it too

I like that Stricker inspired the S grind. Him and I have a lot in common.

L Grind...60.04

Oh yea. That's way low bounce.

Oh yea. That's way low bounce.

Yeah definitely opposite end of the extreme for me. Will see how it goes after a few runs with it, maybe the S would be the best of both worlds

Since I have started practicing more my black is wearing as well. I have a small bit of rust in the sole of my 60 forming. Can't wait to get some true rust going. I am thinking the hot humid weather has been helping with the rust.

441 had the l grind so super low bounce

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Back