Western New York, Albany, Syracuse, Northwest Pennsylvania & surrounding areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow...wish my handicap was not so low (thought i would never say that )...would love to able to play in the same morgan cup as jimmy !!!! a real once in a lifetime event

wow...wish my handicap was not so low (thought i would never say that )...would love to able to play in the same morgan cup as jimmy !!!! a real once in a lifetime event
Now that would be really cool to see. But you will need to stop playing from the "forward" tees. :)

Last edited:
For the Rochester guys, who would you say the best club fitters are in Rochester/vicinity? After following Baldguy's club fitting at his local Club Champion it really made me think about how my set is most likely not even close to fitting me. Is there anywhere in Rochester that can be compared to the expertise of a Club Champion where fitting is the key element and not selling new clubs to the customer? I know Big Oak is recognized as one of the top places but are they on the same level as a place like Club Champion?

For the Rochester guys, who would you say the best club fitters are in Rochester/vicinity? After following Baldguy's club fitting at his local Club Champion it really made me think about how my set is most likely not even close to fitting me. Is there anywhere in Rochester that can be compared to the expertise of a Club Champion where fitting is the key element and not selling new clubs to the customer?
This is a great question as I'd like to know too. My only option for fitting is the Rochester area so that's on my list this summer. I'm considering just going to Golftec where I took lessons and doing their fitting because they know my swing but I also saw Pennfair Golf and possibly that custom golf advantage place.

For the Rochester guys, who would you say the best club fitters are in Rochester/vicinity? After following Baldguy's club fitting at his local Club Champion it really made me think about how my set is most likely not even close to fitting me. Is there anywhere in Rochester that can be compared to the expertise of a Club Champion where fitting is the key element and not selling new clubs to the customer? I know Big Oak is recognized as one of the top places but are they on the same level as a place like Club Champion?
I know Jimmy went to a place in Greece for his Bridgestone clubs, but I will always recommend checking out Big Oak.

Gotta agree with Aaron. Big Oak has always been awesome. The guys at the Custom Golf Advantage were good too. I didn't get all out of it that I wanted but that's partly my fault because I didn't make what I wanted out of it clear.

Gotta agree with Aaron. Big Oak has always been awesome. The guys at the Custom Golf Advantage were good too. I didn't get all out of it that I wanted but that's partly my fault because I didn't make what I wanted out of it clear.
Having gone through exactly one fitting my entire life, this was my mistake as well. Partly because I didn't ask enough questions, and mostly because I wasn't educated enough to ask the right questions. If you read through any of the fitting write-ups on this site, the best fittings are the ones when the players are proactive in getting the right questions answered.

I'm absolutely looking forward to my next fitting because I already know what I'm going to ask (and NOT what particular equipment I am looking for).

Having gone through exactly one fitting my entire life, this was my mistake as well. Partly because I didn't ask enough questions, and mostly because I wasn't educated enough to ask the right questions. If you read through any of the fitting write-ups on this site, the best fittings are the ones when the players are proactive in getting the right questions answered.

I'm absolutely looking forward to my next fitting because I already know what I'm going to ask (and NOT what particular equipment I am looking for).
and this is where I give the guys at Big Oak a ton of credit - especially Bill Walsh (no relation). When I went driver hunting a few years ago, I went in with a preconceived notion about what I wanted.

I left with something completely different ( Titleist 910) partly because he took the time to have me hit a variety of different drivers and shaft optikns. Absolute great guys to work with.

Absolutely nailed it buddy. I went in open minded completely. Which everyone should do. However you need to ask questions or else they will just have you hit a bunch of different shafts and head offers and ask you what felt the best and team that up with optimal numbers. Ask why the shafts do what they did. Ask about weights of shafts and combinations of heads and shafts it will make the experience much better and easier to understand.

Absolutely nailed it buddy. I went in open minded completely. Which everyone should do. However you need to ask questions or else they will just have you hit a bunch of different shafts and head offers and ask you what felt the best and team that up with optimal numbers. Ask why the shafts do what they did. Ask about weights of shafts and combinations of heads and shafts it will make the experience much better and easier to understand.
Exactly what happened at my first driver fitting. Chasing numbers and I ended up with a low spin driver head monster that I bomb 2 times out of 10; and mix in 8 knuckers that go NOWHERE.

On the flip side, when I went to my B-Fit, the rep put me in a 330-RX despite my 109 mph swing speed. I asked why the RX, when the guide (and online fitting tool) suggested the regular B-330. He pointed out the numbers right on the screen showing how an increase in launch angle would help; and that the softer RX would launch higher--which makes sense. Without asking, I probably would have came home agitated, and then gone and bought a box of B-330s.

Exactly what happened at my first driver fitting. Chasing numbers and I ended up with a low spin driver head monster that I bomb 2 times out of 10; and mix in 8 knuckers that go NOWHERE.

On the flip side, when I went to my B-Fit, the rep put me in a 330-RX despite my 109 mph swing speed. I asked why the RX, when the guide (and online fitting tool) suggested the regular B-330. He pointed out the numbers right on the screen showing how an increase in launch angle would help; and that the softer RX would launch higher--which makes sense. Without asking, I probably would have came home agitated, and then gone and bought a box of B-330s.

Yep. And that's kind of funny because I was fit for the B330-S with a 103mph swing speed. Also asked why and he said it's just the way I compress the ball. I compress the ball very well (So he says) enough so that the "lower" swing speed ball robs me of about 3-5 mph of ball speed.

Hello all! :) just joined this forum and from the WNY area! :)

Welcome to the thread dude!! Jump right in and keep an eye out for local get togethers! Make sure to check in in the check in thread too. What part of WNY?

Welcome to the thread dude!! Jump right in and keep an eye out for local get togethers! Make sure to check in in the check in thread too. What part of WNY?

Buffalo ! Williamsville area and thanks man! I'll be sure to look out I need to get to the driving range! Haha haven't golfed in a long long time...

Buffalo ! Williamsville area and thanks man! I'll be sure to look out I need to get to the driving range! Haha haven't golfed in a long long time...

No worries there bud were all hackers in our own respective ways! You have 2 of the best guys I've met in that area right there in Buffalo in Mooseja (Andy) and Buckbug (Allan) those 2 play quite a bit together and I need to start making some trips out that way to play.

No worries there bud were all hackers in our own respective ways! You have 2 of the best guys I've met in that area right there in Buffalo in Mooseja (Andy) and Buckbug (Allan) those 2 play quite a bit together and I need to start making some trips out that way to play.

Good to know!

I'm excited to get back into it... Get out to the range! Thanks for the welcome! :)

Good to know!

I'm excited to get back into it... Get out to the range! Thanks for the welcome! :)

No problem at all buddy! That's how all of THP is. Not just us WNYers although we are pretty awesome! :D

Thinking about Mill Creek Sunday with my buddy Derrick. Anyone from here wanna join us? Doubt Maddog will want to because Mill Creek eats his lunch lol.

Thinking about Mill Creek Sunday with my buddy Derrick. Anyone from here wanna join us? Doubt Maddog will want to because Mill Creek eats his lunch lol.
If my company tourney wasn't Sunday I'd be in :0(

Good to know!

Welcome to the best thread on THP! Andy and I would love to play with you,anywhere,anytime we can.
When the others,Shef,Jim,Joe,Mike,Pete(on the mend),Rob(on the mend),Dean,(who'd I forget) plan a trip(locally) you should join us.It's a great time.

Jim, I wouldn't hesitate but have my Fire Dept. scramble on Sun. and my chief asked me to play in his foursome.Besides,without your dad playing,it takes all the fun out of it!:banghead:
The only thing missing from that scene would to have Aaron show up and rip into him!

That's great I would love to golf with you folk but.. I believe I should get back to the range before I golf with other humans hahahaha

Arrowhead trip in the future.....:thumb:?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back