Best way for a new golfer to meet players?

Slurricane

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been golfing and taking lessons for over a year now, i'm roughly a 25 handicap. I need to get out on the course more, but I just don't have anyone regular to play with.

What is the best way for me to go about meeting other players who might be interested in playing so that I can get out on the course more?

Where are you from? Being here is the best place to start and find other THPers in your area.

A great way is to find a local thread on our forums here. Might find a THP'r or two to play with.

Pick up any balls you see lying in the fairway. You'll meet TONS of people.

Really, all I've ever done is show up and get paired up at the clubhouse. Eventually you'll meet some regulars, or they'll have buddies looking for a group.
We're a really informal club, I've played with a ton of players from scratch to 30. There's always someone with an open spot.

It was a bit tougher at some other courses I've played at. Still, just showing up and meeting people was the way in. Ask the pro shop, for that matter.

Im in Tucson, AZ! Great golf city, but i haven't seen many users from Tucson posting here.

Here at THP is one way. You might start by bringing your profile up-to-date and letting folks know where you are. I have met and played with THPers here in Washington, and down in California on my way to Arizona, where I played the Champions Club at the Retreat - Corona, CA with a couple of So Cali THP guys and one from up here who also goes south for the winter. You might also join a men's club in your area and frequent one particular course, on the same day and time every week. You will meet others doing the same and looking for regulars to play. I generally golf 4 days a week, with a different regular 4some each of those days, making it 12 golfing buddies I have friended. We all met at my home course and often agree to meet at a different area course.

Outside of THP gatherings, I'd simply call local courses and see if they have tee times scheduled for any threesomes. Hop into those if available. You never know who you might meet, or what type of friendship you'll forge over 18 holes.

Have you thought about joining a league in your area if that is an option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is an app on the Apple App store called GolfMatch I just downloaded and its like Facebook for golfers. Helps you find matches and meet more people to play golf with.

Look to see if any of the local clubs have a weekly scramble or a league. You'll meet plenty of people that way!

Find local thread on here or the best thing you can do is go to the course and join others. Playing as a single I've met some life long friends.

Not sure where you work, but my office is FULL of "golfers" so just ask around who plays....might surprise you. And if they don't play, all the more reason to drag them to the course and suddenly you have a new group to play with.

As others have mentioned, setting a tee time or better yet just walking up to get paired with other people is a great way to meet players. While I have a standing 3-4 guys that I play with regularly, I have met a couple of guys from here and have met people from just be paired with them that I've played with again. Ironically, I met an older gentleman in his 70's that can still shoot in the upper 70's and was a former City Champion. Who knew??? Talk about inspiration!

No harm in playing alone. I payed a ton of golf alone last year and met a lot of nice people when I would be paired up randomly. THP is a great way to meet like minded golfers as well. I would also try and find a golf league at a near by course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Play every day. Guarantee it you'll run into guys that will become friends for life.

Play every day. Guarantee it you'll run into guys that will become friends for life.

I agree. We had a nine hole course close about 12 miles away a couple of years ago, and many players came to my home course and are now part of the family. We have also had many new members over the years just come out of nowhere and are now regulars in out weekend skins games.

I agree. We had a nine hole course close about 12 miles away a couple of years ago, and many players came to my home course and are now part of the family. We have also had many new members over the years just come out of nowhere and are now regulars in out weekend skins games.
Sucks hearing about a course closure. I managed one in Idaho for 2 years. Soo much overhead in expenses and maintenance it's not even funny. Golf courses rarely make a lot of money.

Sucks hearing about a course closure. I managed one in Idaho for 2 years. Soo much overhead in expenses and maintenance it's not even funny. Golf courses rarely make a lot of money.

I've heard the only aspect most course make money off are cart rentals and food/drink. Whether or not this is true I have no Idea.

I just started talking to guy that I see all the time at the range plus found a local group on THP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get out to a course in your area and you will meet people that love the game as much as you do. It is crazy but kinda like dating you have to put yourself out there you will meet people that are really nice and understanding and some that arent, learn from both.

Just turn up and play. As a single, I've played 2 rounds on my own in the last year. I've now met a couple of fella's who are my regular partners. Also, most places require tee times on a weekend morning as they tend to be a little busier. Have a word with the pro and he'll soon have you teamed up with others.

Im in Tucson, AZ! Great golf city, but i haven't seen many users from Tucson posting here.

There's quite a few from the Tucson area. I'm a little far to make that pilgrimage on a regular basis, though.

Join a County Club or local Golf Club

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have been the same for a few years as all my golf buddies have either moved or moved on from playing golf regularly. I just book as a single at the local muni. I have met and played with many people in that time and at times play with the same people several times in a season.
Just remember you have one thing in common with everyone you meet on a golf course to start a conversation about...

Back