Any advice appreciated

Just as an additional question that isnt really swing related, but that I can still work on while improving the swing (without affecting the swing): How important is it which grip you use? I currently use the baseball grip, and some people say that is fine as long as you dont have a problem with hooking the ball, while some says "oh no you have to use overlap och interlock". So should I start using one of the other two grips just to get used to them, and if so why?

Thanks again for the help so far and interesting discussion here above! :)

Just as an additional question that isnt really swing related, but that I can still work on while improving the swing (without affecting the swing): How important is it which grip you use? I currently use the baseball grip, and some people say that is fine as long as you dont have a problem with hooking the ball, while some says "oh no you have to use overlap och interlock". So should I start using one of the other two grips just to get used to them, and if so why?

Thanks again for the help so far and interesting discussion here above! :)

Very few people use a baseball grip. You can but it's not recommended. I would try an overlap or interlock. The hands will work as one vs separate

Very few people use a baseball grip. You can but it's not recommended. I would try an overlap or interlock. The hands will work as one vs separate

Cool, will try to get used to one of those too then. :)

Am I on the right track with the shoulders in this video btw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOyc4pPE9sI

I am gonna hit some balls tomorrow hopefully and record better, but would be good to know if I am completely off or if I am understanding what you want me to do correctly. :)

Edit: I dont swing 100% because I dont wanna damage the floor or the stuff around me, so I am mainly trying to focus on turning the shoulders. And yeah, someone sent an sms in the middle. ;)

The swing looks good except you aren't turning your shoulders. Now you are lifting your arms. Don't be afraid to turn around your spine, your shoulders that is.

The swing looks good except you aren't turning your shoulders. Now you are lifting your arms. Don't be afraid to turn around your spine, your shoulders that is.

Ok, I hit some balls today and I hope this looks better!

9 iron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glLGBnjNI1M

Another 9 iron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmlAAOqvJM

And a driver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApWNQb8H_AE

Do you see any improvement here or am I still doing the shoulder turn incorrectly?

Edit: Looking at it, it feels like I lean forward a bit too much again (bad habits die hard!). I also dont see that big a difference in the shoulder turning, but I really felt like I was turning my spine (and shoulders) more. Either I am doing it wrong, or my eye is just not good enough to see the difference.

Last edited:
Been working on improving in the areas you told me and yesterday I finally got to try it out in practice since the weather has just exploded here over the last weekend.

Last season I sliced so hard I needed to make sure the hole to the left of me was empty before I hit, now I hit em straight 80%+ of the time, still falling back into old sins sometimes.
I also used to hit fat, but my ironhits are rock solid now.

I will still practice turning shoulders etc as often as I can, and keeping stable, but you fixed more in looking at those vids than the pro at my club did in 5 lessons.

Thanks alot for all the help Freddie (and the others that contributed), if things continue like this, this season will be extremely enjoyable! :)

freddie will do that. 10 minutes on the range with him helped me more than 6 in-person lessons with other "teaching pros". glad to hear you're getting your swing into shape!

Ok, I hope it is ok to revive an "old" thread. Now that a few months has passed, and the season is up and running, it is still a lot better than last year, but I do slice it some still. I recorded a few 7 irons today. The sun makes the angle from the back a bit dark, I hope it is still useful. So, can you see any progress at all, or are the same problems as before still here? :)

I have 2-3 problems. First off, I slice. Second, I hit it fat. Third, I sometimes (rarely) draw/hook it. Usually when I do that, I can feel that the timing is off in my swing and my hands come down way before my body has rotated, so I think I know what the issue is there myself, but if you see anything that you can point to that causes the slices/fat hits, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for any feedback other feedback too ofc! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcIyehNnbj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlEIk7LD3k

It's as I suspected. You are over the top and swinging too hard. Slow that tempo down and allow the lower body to get involved in the swing. In fact allow it to lead the swing.

It's as I suspected. You are over the top and swinging too hard. Slow that tempo down and allow the lower body to get involved in the swing. In fact allow it to lead the swing.

Thanks! Then I am at least working on the correct things. Just need to find that perfect tempo, I usually end up hitting pretty well, then as it feels good I speed the swing up without realizing it, which causes me to start slicing. Then I slow it down again, but way too much, so I start hooking instead, and then it is all just a mess around hole 12 lol. But I´ll keep working on it! Thanks again.

Without feeling like I changed a single thing (between hole 9 and 10 that is, I changed to what you told me with lower body etc) I went from scoring 21 points the first 9 holes today, to ending at 29...started the downswing with my hips, felt great, hit the ball great, then bam after 9 holes nothing worked anymore lol. Should I be swinging the club more around my body maybe? I tried that a bit in the end and it felt better...but by then I had also beheaded one of my clubs, so that might also be why it felt better. ;)

Edit: Got out again today, with the intent of keeping everything like yday, but also trying to swing the club more around my body and not lift it as much. I did lose focus a bit after a while, but I usually have big problems keeping focus for 18 holes, and the start was the best I ever had. After 8 holes I had 1 double bogey, 1 bogey, 3 pars and 3 birdies. As a 16 hcp'er that is obviously the best I ever played for 8 holes. 23 points after 9 holes, ended at 40. Now its rolling I hope! ;)

Thanks for the help again Freddie!

Last edited:
Back