Trying To Break 90 Club

Played yesterday in a father's day tournament and shot 92. If I ignore the first 7 holes (+13), it was my best ballstriking all year. If I could have scrambled even a little I would have broke 90. A lot of positives to take into my next round if they follow me :)

An 88 friday, and a 97 Sunday.

had 2 long irons plug in the face on bunkers, and 3 balls in the water on the 97.
Then again the 97 had 3-4 nice chips that were tough but ended with pars (Coulda been doubles).

For me, the line between "97 and 87" is very thin. A ball plugs here, a chip lands just right there....you make a few 7 footers, you miss a 4 footer.

Finding agressive play on par 5s really helps me score (playing them at about 5.5 strokes)

My fade/cut are sneaking back into slicey territory. When I played Saturday, my irons and wedges were decent but I was killing myself off the tee. I firmly believe that if I can at least manage to keep the tee shot out of the woods, I could break 90 regularly.

After a few frustrating holes, I did shorten up the back swing a bunch and tried to swing a little less but make contact. It helped but being outdriven by that far really gets in my head. It shouldn't but damn!
Get those lessons going and you will be under 90 regularly. your game isn't bad at all it just needs some tweaking from someone who really knows the golf swing!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Get those lessons going and you will be under 90 regularly. your game isn't bad at all it just needs some tweaking from someone who really knows the golf swing!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You're right, dang it, you're right.
Thing is, with a 3w instead of driver, my score would've been the same but more fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newcomer to the 90 club. Been in the 90's my last 6 rounds with a 90 in there also. My main focus is nailing down my iron play. Other than my driver I do not hit a club longer than my 5 iron. Seems short and consistent and good wedge play is my bread and butter. Looking forward to the advice/conversations.

Newcomer to the 90 club. Been in the 90's my last 6 rounds with a 90 in there also. My main focus is nailing down my iron play. Other than my driver I do not hit a club longer than my 5 iron. Seems short and consistent and good wedge play is my bread and butter. Looking forward to the advice/conversations.
welcome to the club, only one thing will get you there, practice

I've been meaning to post in here for a while now as well. I've had one 89 and one 90 with the rest being mid 90's. Everything could stand to improve, but my biggest problem at the moment is short game.

I take regular lessons (typically weekly), practice several days a week, and try to play 1 time a week.

After a few rounds of 90-91-91-90 I shot 84 this afternoon, and I left a few putts out there! It's slowly coming around.

After a few rounds of 90-91-91-90 I shot 84 this afternoon, and I left a few putts out there! It's slowly coming around.

great round there Clutch! what made the difference for you?

I'm still stuck shooting 92's and 93's. Almost there to shooting under 90.

I'm still stuck shooting 92's and 93's. Almost there to shooting under 90.

Yeah I am there too Andrew, keep working on it

great round there Clutch! what made the difference for you?
I stayed away from the blowup holes, when I got in trouble I just played to make bogey instead of trying to make the hero shots. and my driver was working.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thanks guys. really looking forward to my on course lesson tomorrow. Nothing like on the spot fixing out there. funny I shot a 93 Sunday and did that with a freaking 5 putt.
5 put!??! how did that happen Andrew?

5 put!??! how did that happen Andrew?
dude slanted/turtle shelled green and flag right in the middle. it was horrible.

thanks guys. really looking forward to my on course lesson tomorrow. Nothing like on the spot fixing out there. funny I shot a 93 Sunday and did that with a freaking 5 putt.
I'd you could get your putting under control, you'd be in the 90 ' s every time.

I'd you could get your putting under control, you'd be in the 90 ' s every time.
yea I know man. IL get some more putting tips tomorrow I imagine from my instructor. gotta get that lag putting down and hit it closer to the flag. then my putts will drop.

Had my 3rd sub 90 round this year on Sunday, 2nd one at this course (on the easier side). I had 2 blowup holes or I would have been low 80s.
Might have figured something out with the irons on the last 3 holes. Hope I can remember what it was for OC :)

I had a great day today. I have had a round of 87 once but consistently between 90-94. shot an 86 today, 40 on the front, with 6 pars, and 46 in the back. Had 2 penalties due to wayward drives that hurt. But that was a personal best! hope it continues

Shot a 45/46 over the weekend.Hit 3 Fairways and 5 GIR. 34 putts (Five 1-putts and three 3-putts).

It was a nice bounce back after having strung together a stretch of 51-50-57 9-hole rounds before that.

Shot 92 on Sunday with a triple bogey and some missed opportunities for par.

arrrgh.
front 42, back 48...
Hole 18 is a par 5, 3 shot is over water to a front pin. Hit a flush PW to centre of green to about 15 feet above hole, 3 put. Arrrhg.

Shot a 93 (51\42) last night. Two snowmen on the front nine hurts. 1/13 fairways and 5/18 gir, 5 pars, 35 putts. Got to get it on the fairway more often.

Played the most satisfying yet strange round of the year tonight. Tied my PB 42 on 9 holes. Could have been a 40 if my chip on 7 had gone an extra 6 inches and my first putt on 8 had traveled an extra inch before breaking in front of the cup. Game of inches indeed. the strange part? How often do you hit 100% of the FW, 0% of GIR, tie a PB, and still see your handicap go up?

15z2gw3.jpg

Back