Taking the Plunge on Lessons

Is there a golf course that you normally play at or a driving range that you go to? You could always start there. Also, if you have normal playing partners, ask around to see if they've taken lessons from anyone that they like. Word of mouth is a good source of referrals for golf instructors.

T4K hit the nail on the head. My current instructor has told me that he asks that question to every student he teaches, and that his approach differs significantly when the answer is "I want to break 80 regularly" as opposed to the guy that says "I want to fix my driver slice before this weekend because I have my member-guest tournament coming up." Also, you have to find someone that can explain the golf swing to you in a way that you can understand, so that you know what you are trying to do when your instructor isn't around. Sounds simple, but it's not for some people.

Yeah my local course does instructions and has a development program. I based on what I've seen when I'm at the range this guy takes on more beginners and it's really basics. Not that I can't learn a thing or two in that case but I don't get the impression he could get me to single digit HC.

I've done some research and there's a few that are within an hour drive that I'm happy to make but they almost seem like a "factory" of sorts, or like a car service center.....you schedule online and just show up. He spends his time with you and it's on the the next person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd share, and I am sure there are more people ready to share some awesome stories about a lesson changing the way they look at golf. GET LESSONS!!!!

I did it because I had always improved until I took a break because of back problems. When I came back to golf I had a slice instead of a draw it was a next fairway slice that didn't improve.

Lessons last year lead to a personal best score on a difficult course during vacation.

Now I take lessons when I have problems. My coach can figure out whats wrong and get me on the right track quickly. This week was help for getting stuck and that led to getting better shift and hip turn which put me back in my usual range for yardages.

All in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
My dude. Love to see that you reached out to get better!! Even better knowing that your teammates had something to do with the motivation. Definitely gotta agree with the fact that if a scratch golfer can benefit from getting a lesson ALL of us hacks can most definitely benefit from it!! Glad to see you're back on track my man.

Enough really can't be said about how lessons can with diligent practice can and will change your game.

Some have played with me and know that I was a train wreck at times and struggled to just get around the course.

In HHI I struggled to keep under 120, in #LIITA I finally posted a 96 in a THP outing on Sat but blew up Sunday. Since I have worked harder taken more lessons and went through a ton of range balls. I managed an 82 but couldn't back that up with a decent round or even one in the 80's.

Two more lessons and then a trip to OC and I posted one round at 90 and two in the 80's and no one believed that just two weeks ago or 6 months ago I played a different game then I did this weekend.

I highly recommend taking lessons if you want to get better at this game, but work must be done to make changes in your swing permanent.

Back