Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

They aren't whippy at all, to me they seem just about perfect. My impression is they may be like an R+ but because they are heavier than what I previously played it somehow works (actually the 6.0s that I demo'd were a little too much for me). FWIW I'm at the lower range of S and most of my stuff with that flex is also that way.
Impulse buy on ebay yesterday. J40 w 5.5 flighted on the way. A bit worried about the shaft being too stiff. I now play cleveland cg16 I. Reg.

Impulse buy on ebay yesterday. J40 w 5.5 flighted on the way. A bit worried about the shaft being too stiff. I now play cleveland cg16 I. Reg.

Shouldn't be too bad if so I bet u can get some 5.0 pulls for cheap

Kapp, do you feel the 5.5 are too whippy for your game? I noticed all your other stuff is stiff.
5.5 = reg + right?
This is the exact set up that I am playing. I was actually fit into these. This really is a nice set up. Not whippy at all. Regular is definitely to soft and the stiff works, but did not give me great launch/ball speed.

They aren't whippy at all, to me they seem just about perfect. My impression is they may be like an R+ but because they are heavier than what I previously played it somehow works (actually the 6.0s that I demo'd were a little too much for me). FWIW I'm at the lower range of S and most of my stuff with that flex is also that way.
I would think that this is the perfect set up for you. Sounds like it has been. Glad that you are still enjoying them.

I don't think that you will have any problem with these. I believe that I had the areotech shafted DPCs in the bag when we played. Don't remember if you hit them or not, but if you did, the 5.5 will play pretty close to the same as these.

Picked up a used set of dpc 5-pw for a good price. Going to be throwing the recoil 670 shaft in them. Should get them early next week. Looking forward to this combo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You were hitting these pretty dang well on Sunday, can't imagine what it will be like with the recoils in them!

You guys are making me miss my set of DPCs. Such a solid set of club from looks to performance. I'm counting the days to the MC when these will be back in the bag.

DPC's are still my 2nd favorite of all time. They are a great iron

As much as I love the CB's I can't wait to get the DPC's in the bag for the MC. Can't pass up the added forgiveness!

Looks like tomorrow night ill be able to put the recoils in these! Im really happy with them even with a shaft thats too stiff and too long in them currently. To me they feel just as good, look just as good and are more forgiving than my ACPs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

These irons shined for me this past weekend. Won a greenie on a 165 yard par 3 to 2 feet! Was also flushing them so much more often (with the exception of one that is now in time out) due to a swing change that is coming along nicely.

I'm not sure what epic new technology Bridgestone has up their sleeves for later this year, but there will ALWAYS be DPC's in my collection of favorite clubs.

JM

I have so much confidence in the DPC 4 iron right now. Tight par 4s and into par 5s on two from 215 to 220 and I KNOW this club gets it done!

I can't wait to put these into play, especially on the longer irons. It's great just hearing so much good from these.

After using my new AP1s for a week or so now I can say with certainty that I miss the look and feel of the J40s. Also, the distance control with the DPCs is phenomenal.

My bridgestones are feeling very nervous, pondering very hard on the callaway apex.

My bridgestones are feeling very nervous, pondering very hard on the callaway apex.

I think my Apex are feeling nervous knowing that I've a combo set of J40s on the way. Both sets are so solid.

Mine are looking drop dead gorgeous in the back up bag right now. I just can't bring myself to sell them.

I know it is the Indian and not the arrow, but on a day when I was absolutely striping the driver I had one of my worst iron days ever. Only 3 GIRs and I put two balls in the water off the tee on separate par 3s. I absolutely love these irons, I just wish I had a little more game. I am really considering putting the DPCs up for trade for something with a little more forgiveness.

I know it is the Indian and not the arrow, but on a day when I was absolutely striping the driver I had one of my worst iron days ever. Only 3 GIRs and I put two balls in the water off the tee on separate par 3s. I absolutely love these irons, I just wish I had a little more game. I am really considering putting the DPCs up for trade for something with a little more forgiveness.

What has you miss been?

What has you miss been?
Mostly hooks with some block rights. I'm not really sure what a pull hook is...I start the ball mostly straight, maybe a little bit left of target, and it goes more left. The rights are blocks not fades. I've been working on it this week at the range and it is getting better. It is me, I get that. I just wonder if the directional stuff could be helped (or not) with extra forgiveness.

Edit. Wrong guy

I just built a 4-Pw set with 110F5's and put them in play this weekend.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed these, the feel was perfect, distance was definitely not lacking and control was spot on.

Turf interaction was great they didn't dig nor did they bounce off the turf, they simply cut through the fairway and rough as expected.

I'm looking forward to the next line coming out

Went out to the range the other night trying to nail down some distances. Started with my Adams 7i and was seeing about 145-150 on good shots, then went to my dpc 6i which is only 2* lower. I was seeing 170-175 on good shots. I can't wait to get a full set of these and see what I can do with them.

Add me to the list of DPC converts. I received a set in trade this past weekend (another amazing MC memory) and dropped a PXi shaft in and OMG! They look amazing, sound/feel fantastic and the distance was better than what I was seeing with my Apex Pros. Much better spin numbers too. I also have a set of Tour Vs coming and a set of CTLs laying around. I may be doing a bit of reshafting over the next few days.

As far as the iron head itself goes, I dare say it has topped Mizuno in my opinion for a forged iron.

Been getting along with my DPC's after throwing xp95 in.

I'm loving the combo set from the Morgan Cup. The set blends so smoothly from DPC to CB with no issues. Very happy as well with the shaft choice of the KBS Tour. Ball flight is nice and high and everything so far (knock on wood) is just going dead straight. I haven't been able to spend a ton of time with the irons to get the distances dialed in, but I'm seeing about half a club to a full club shorter compared to my Apex/Pro combo set. I think part of that is attributable to going with heavier shafts in the Bridgestones and the more lofts not being quite as strong as the Callaways. Not as issue or something I am worried about as the Bridgestone are still plently long.

I'm loving the combo set from the Morgan Cup. The set blends so smoothly from DPC to CB with no issues. Very happy as well with the shaft choice of the KBS Tour. Ball flight is nice and high and everything so far (knock on wood) is just going dead straight. I haven't been able to spend a ton of time with the irons to get the distances dialed in, but I'm seeing about half a club to a full club shorter compared to my Apex/Pro combo set. I think part of that is attributable to going with heavier shafts in the Bridgestones and the more lofts not being quite as strong as the Callaways. Not as issue or something I am worried about as the Bridgestone are still plently long.
I experienced something similar. Over time, I regained much of the lost distance through about the 8, maybe 7, irons. I'm still a 1/2 to full club short on the other clubs.

Back