Whats your favorite driver of all time?

TM R9 460, once I got the right shaft in it. Stock shaft was Adilda reax - freaking soft noodle. Once I put a Motore in it, it was money. I played 36 holes one day in Myrtle and only had one drive that wasn't in the fairway or just off.

Dicks Sports fitted me for first shaft, never again..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favourite is something that was purchased at a yard sale for 5$. It was made by a company named Caddie Gear. It was a 400cc, steel shafted driver, that played @ 44 inches. Due to my TM Burner cracking, I was out a driver for a few rounds. My younger brother had lived with us for a while and left some stuff behind, including his driver (the aforementioned). So I took it with me as mainly a joke. First hole, nothing special, 2nd hole we measured my drive at 322 yards. Third hole 307. It hit a few more big bombs besides that. It was super accurate off the tee, just eventually lost its pop.

I still have it in my shed.

Last edited:
The best 3 for my swing were:
- Cobra Amp Offset: I hit 78% fairways over about 9 months with this.

- Ping K15: Fairway finder that seemed point and shoot. Just step up and hit.

- Callaway FT-IQ: I loved the sound and feel of the FT series. This one was long for me.

Right now, my swing is a mess. I probably couldn't pick up any of those 3 and have the same type of results. It's the carpenter, not the hammer.

It's an old NIKE sumo 16* and it is DEAD STRAIGHT every hit. I can hit that thing 250 yards (adding the roll to the total). I know I'm losing yards since it's 16 degrees of loft but it's fairway money every time.

Just play that Sumo. You can play some very, very, very good golf hitting it 250 down the middle every time. In fact, if I hit it 250 down the middle every single time off the tee (14/14 fairways hit with the driver), I would be in the 70s -- and I'm a self described hack.

Good thread Jman.

I'd have to say the one I'm currently gaming (Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme) is my best ever. When I'm swinging right, it's as though I don't have to really try at all, it just goes straight and long!

I have a top 3 to be honest:

1) Nickent 4DX - Was just a really really good performer, I've tried going back to it though and the sound just gets me now.

My dad plays a 4DX with a Proforce V2 and I hit that club really well -- so well that I recently picked one up to play with. It's a good stick, though I'll admit it is loud.

Historically, I'll go with the original Big Bertha. Total game changer. That club pretty much gave legitimacy to the driver-as-its-own-weapon marketing strategy that so huge today.

Currently, my ZL Encore with the Diamana D+ 72S is just awesome for me right now. Just as forgiving and accurate as the stock version I played, but with 10-15 extra yards on the back end. Just plain fun to swing.

Will always have a fond spot for my TM R5 XL-N. Despite it being about 10 years old and having zero adjustments anywhere I had real trouble finding newer tech that I hit better.

Titleist 975D 9.5* with EI70 stiff circa 1998. I crushed that thing. Loved it.

I'll go with 3, in my order...
1. Ping i25 w/ Elements Chrome (current gamer)
2. TM '07 Burner TP w/ Matrix F7M2 (current back up)
3. Titleist 910 D2 w/ RIP Alpha

I've gamed 4 drivers for a significant amount of time. As a late bloomer for the love of this game I'd have to say the Callaway Optiforce has been wonderful for my game. Lightweight = fast swing = more distance. I'm loving the Big Bertha though and when hit in the screws is really long.

One thing that stands out about this thread...

I would say that 85-90% of us have a "favorite" driver of all time, but do not game it to this day. Just shows that we love trying new things. Guilty of this myself, although, this Fast 12LS that I have in my bag right now, is really creeping up the charts of my favorite.

I have a curious question about this thread. Almost all of the people in here have a favorite and use something different. Now that favorite can be had for a song, so my question is why not play it now?

Could it be lack of memory? Meaning we, as golfers, will amost always remember the great and forget the bad.
Social Credit? As golfers, having the latest and greatest feels good.

Why not play what you considered your favorite?

Still rocking the 913 until I can get that Active Recoil Channel 915

Callaway Great Big Bertha and now Cobra Amp Cell are probably a tie for me. Bertha is probably more sentimental than performance, although it did work well.

I have a curious question about this thread. Almost all of the people in here have a favorite and use something different. Now that favorite can be had for a song, so my question is why not play it now?

Could it be lack of memory? Meaning we, as golfers, will amost always remember the great and forget the bad.

I think we forgot about the bad ones more than we remember the good ones for sure. That being said, I went away from my original setup with the Cleveland Classic thinking it was the club and looking back on it, it was me getting out of sorts with my swing.

My favorite of all time would be the Cobra 440SZ. Admittedly, I was younger and played a bit more often, but I hit some great drives with that club and haven't seen most of the same spots in the fairways of my home course since that great snake died.

Second on the list would be the Ping G10. I actually had mine back in the bag earlier this year and played some good golf with it. On well struck shots, I still don't know if there is a driver that has a feel/sound combination that I like better. This is a driver that I will always keep and will probably game from time to time, just for the heck of it.

Third on my list would be the Knight Rippa ($27 at Walmart). This was my first real driver (I had been teeing off with some sort of driving iron/hybrid type club or a 3-wood) and it changed golf for me. I easily added 40+ yards of distance off the tee and my scores improved almost immediately.

Man I've had a lot, and my top 3 are all cobra, some back to the acushnet days. Funny how different owners and still my favorites. Some I've gamed and would rate as very good, 910D2, 910D3, 913D3, and R1. But none of them came close to what used to be my all time favorite, the Cobra 440SZ. Ball felt like it came off a trampolene. Just a total rocket launcher. Next favorite was my Cobra Pro D. But my new love and best of all time is my Bio Cell +. I tried out the Pro, and it wasn't even close. What I've learned is that I prefer deep, deep faced drivers and all of my favorites have that in common. But the + is just really something special. I can't believe none of the tour guys are gaming that thing.

I'm a single digit capper with around 120 ss and I can't keep the pro on this planet. But the plus is just automatic. Terrible swings yield good results, it's just stupid.

The 440SZ was my first name brand driver and I loved that club. Heck, my friends even loved the club and 2 or 3 of them eventually picked one up. I picked mine up for $100 from the used bin while on a golf trip back in 2006. It eventually lost it's pop and got shelved, but I do still search the bay and ponder picking one up from time to time.

Gotta say my current driver is my favorite. Cobra Bio Cell. Only driver I've had real success with. Tried a few callaways and a few taylormade and nikes. In the end love this driver

Hope I can say the same. I'm looking to take mine out of the plastic and hit a few drives with it this evening.

For me the Cleveland Classic 290, so much so I owned it twice, lol.

You owned it twice and I just own 2 of them! I got along ok with my Classic 290, then I tried one with a Kusala Blue and while the results aren't vastly different, I like the feel of the blue much more than the C. Kua. The C. Kua shafted Classic will probably be in the market for a new home, but I plan to keep the other. It's position as backup or in the bag will depend on how I get along with the Bio Cell.

As mentioned above, I've often pondered purchasing another 440SZ. The main thing that's always held me back is the fact that mine lost it's pop, which made me a bit gun shy towards purchasing another.

I've looked as well. Thought about throwing a modern shaft in it and giving it a go just to see. Only problem is finding one in decent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one probably has this driver on their list.... it was actually the first club I bought with my own money. Seems like a lifetime ago, although it's only been one(!) decade....

TM R580XD

It was a real game changer for me at that time when I was using Dad's old used clubs.
Face caved in, and got it replaced with a R7 from TM, but never had the same affection for it.

I almost did go back to the Razr Fit, but everything I read about the Big Bertha made it sound like everything I liked about the Fit was improved upon. And I'm not so sure that isn't the case.

For me..... Nike sasquatch sumo SQ. It was the perfect driver for somebody in their early 20s. Bright yellow loud as hell and long. I hit my longest drives ever with that club, not the most forgiving though. But it had a sense of personality to it, I should take it back from my cousin and game it again.

For me..... Nike sasquatch sumo SQ. It was the perfect driver for somebody in their early 20s. Bright yellow loud as hell and long. I hit my longest drives ever with that club, not the most forgiving though. But it had a sense of personality to it, I should take it back from my cousin and game it again.

This post should be in all caps

Internet high five.

I picked up this game about 4-5 years ago and I was 25 years old or so...

The first driver I bought was the Sumo Sq. 5900. It was all sorts of awesome... color, sound and freaking Tiger gamed Nike, so I had to be on the right path.

You ask a great question and I wonder that myself as I read through this thread and think about my own club experiences. I think it's a combination of 4 things:

1) There are periods when we just swing the driver well. If you're a stat tracker, then you look back on those periods and associate that with the club. I know that 2 of my 3 favorites were in a year stretch where it seemed I couldn't miss a fairway with the driver (legit 70%+ with everything I took to the course). I was just locked in. Obviously, that's going to make me think of those fondly. I'm still "chasing" to try to get the swing back to that level.

2) We like new toys. I only buy used, but they're all new to me. There's still some excitement every time I open that box up, or tee it up the first time. There's also a sense of hope, which I think is a huge part of the mental aspect, particularly if one is struggling with the swing.

3) Conversely, when the swing starts declining, one hits some bad ones and loses confidence. Mentally it is easier to think that a new club might be the fix than the much harder path of swing correction. Hit enough bad ones with a club and that can create a mental block.

4) Marketing works / numbers chasing. Maybe there is something out there that really is better?

My favorite driver of all time as the PING G25 with Mistubishi 'ahina 70 shaft.

Back