Counter Balance Style Grips

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
Recently purchased a SeeMore belly putter with the intent to make it my counter balance project. I typically play a 34 in putter and grip down maybe an inch or so.

Would the recommended length be around 36-37 inches in length?

What are my options for grips? Super Stroke '17 Belly....what else?

Ok the only thing I was wondering on this was the weight... I thought most counter balance grips were 100g+

I've used a couple SS, the flatso 17" and the belly 17", I've enjoyed them both.

I am really having a hard time figuring out what length to go. I normally play a 34 in putter but probably grip down an inch or so. Not sure whether to go 36" or 37". Any suggestions?

You can buy the TM counter balanced grip from winn

Winn sells a 15" grip that is the same as the Taylormade CB grips. It is 128 grams.
http://www.winngrips.com/putter-grips/long#15P-RD

I have one of these and I LOVE it.

I extended my spider 2 inches (easy to do with a shaft extender), dropped in a clevis pin, and put on this grip.

I couldn't tell you the exact weights, but I really like it. I like the counterbalance and weight, and I also love that the grip doesn't taper where I grip it, making it more like a superstroke, and not like a traditional grip.

I am really having a hard time figuring out what length to go. I normally play a 34 in putter but probably grip down an inch or so. Not sure whether to go 36" or 37". Any suggestions?

If you have the ability to blow your grips on, you can experiment a little bit.

That's what I did. The shaft extender technically should be glued in, but on a putter you can get by taping it in and blowing your grip on over it.

Then you can play around with different heights. I'm at 37, and probably grip it around 34.5.

I have one of these and I LOVE it.

I extended my spider 2 inches (easy to do with a shaft extender), dropped in a clevis pin, and put on this grip.

I couldn't tell you the exact weights, but I really like it. I like the counterbalance and weight, and I also love that the grip doesn't taper where I grip it, making it more like a superstroke, and not like a traditional grip.
So did you not feel the grip was heavy enough on its own?

I'm hoping to play around a little bit with this myself. I going to be cutting down a belly putter to a counter-balance and using a Flatso Mid 17" 100g grip, but I'm going to shorten it to 14" because I don't like the look of a bunch of grip down the length of the shaft. I figure that is going to remove 20g, so I'm going to try and add back in 40g to get the counter weight to 120g.

Question for those that have done their own counter balancing. I am going to be cutting a 41" putter down to about 36.5 and putting the Winn Counter Balance grip on the putter. I believe it weights in the 130g area. Do you think this will be enough? I know it can be personal preference but adding a clevis pin to that seems to be a lot of weight

Call SeeMore and talk to them. They will walk you through figuring out the right length (I did the same project you are taking on and they helped me in this way). FWIW, I believe the general rule of thumb is your standard length +3 inches. Re your question on the weight of the grip...I don't know the correct answer, I just used a SeeMore CB grip.

Call SeeMore and talk to them. They will walk you through figuring out the right length (I did the same project you are taking on and they helped me in this way). FWIW, I believe the general rule of thumb is your standard length +3 inches. Re your question on the weight of the grip...I don't know the correct answer, I just used a SeeMore CB grip.
Ok I am guessing I will be good on the grip then it is right around the weight of SeeMore CB grips. I will contact them for help with the length.

So did you not feel the grip was heavy enough on its own?

You know what? I never even tried the grip on it's own.

I dropped in the pin, blew on the grip and went to try it out.

I loved the feel of the heavy weight, and the ball was rolling straight, so I tried not to get too scientific with it.

I've played about 4 rounds with it, and I'm getting more and more confident with it. I can't tell you why, but it just seems to work. Straight back, straight forward. Ball rolls where I want. Distance control has been good.

I took off the stock grip off my 38" Daddy Long Legs and put on a 17" SS Belly grip- then backweighted with a Tour Lock Pro butt weight. It's a thing of beauty!

You can counter balance pretty much anything with any grip. All you need is a shaft extender (if you want one) and a CB kit. I recently did a customized CB setup and it turned out fantastic.

I'm not sure that there's any "right" amount to CB. It's all about what feels right to you. Really all the weight at the back is doing is manipulating the balance point of the putter. At some point, it will be so far "up" the shaft that the head will feel disconnected to you, but that point is going to differ from person to person.

How much of a difference are you guys by going this route to a counterbalance on normal putters? Anybody just used the Bocieri secret grips?

Had been considering trying it on my putter.

I tried a clevis pin under my regular superstroke and noticed a little, but nothing dramatic.

When I extended the putter 2" and put on a 17" winn grip & clevis pin, I could really feel it.

I also added some layers of tape under the grip, so it's a bit oversized, and due to the length, it doesn't really taper in my right hand (much). I love it.

I think it cost me:
$15 for Winn 17"
$2 clevis pin
$2 for extension

So for around $20, you can try it... and if you are using compressed air, it becomes an even bigger no brainer to try it.

I put the 17" SuperStroke Flatso on one of my Scottys and I barely noticed any change in the weight. For me it's the feel that I'm now getting with the Flatso grip.

I think Jman has a review thread on the Bocieri putter grips.

You need to add some more weight to the butt of the club to get the counterbalance effect to work. The SS grip is not heavy enough on its own.

Back