which club/s got tossed out in favor of your wedge/s? Left an open gap? or two?

I dropped a 3W and 2/3 hybrid this year in order to add two wedges to the bag.

So then you must have a fairly big gap back there somewhere no? Unless you have another wood or hyb back there between the driver and 4i/4h.

You know, It is pretty amazing how 13 clubs (putter aside) can leave a gap especially if we want an extra wedge. Looking at that amount from the outside or as one who may be ignorant to it all it would seem like 13 clubs even with extra wedges would all fit very well with no gap problem solving issue anywhere. I wonder if the powers to be came up with such a number just to cause this slight potentail problematic decision making. After all it does technically add another part to the game itself besides just playing it.

I hear you on the spending. It is a costly issue to a small problem for sure. If I was able to really knock down GIR's from 175-230 yards I'd be all about fine tuning that end of my bag, but really I am just looking for a couple clubs to get me in the ball park that I can hit with some reasonable consistency.

Yes and i'm hearing you too. Its not like i was greening 3irons anyway lol.
There is something to be said for one being very good at this game especially pro's. Where as I think this stuff becomes easier when one is able to efficiently and consistently utilize the same club at different distances. It certainly allows more freedom to make gap void choices an easier decision. Actually come to think of it, when one can do that very well, they really dont have a gap issue anywhere. Pretty amazing when i think of it that way but then again pro's are pretty amazing with just about everything they can accomplish playing this game.

For my set I put a gap at the top to allow for a 58* wedge at the bottom. I go driver, 4w, 2h, 4h, then 4* through 58*. I found I wasn't hitting my 3h often and a soft 2 or hard 4 cover the gap if it ever does come up.

When I switched from 50/56 to 50/54/58 I dropped my 7W/3H club and swapped out my 4I for a 4H.

I carry three wedges and rarely use either the AW or SW. I do 90% of my chipping with other clubs.

Old setup was D, 3W, 2h, 3h at top and Pw (44°), Aw(48°), 54° at the bottom.
New setup is D, 4W, 3h at top and Pw, Aw, 54°, 60° at the bottom.

Long clubs/fairway woods aren't as of much value to me as wedges. I could've hit my 2h 220 yds or I could hit it 100 yds and anything in between on any given shot. I'd rather pull my 4h and know I'm going to get 190-200 out of most hits, then take a wedge into the green if need be. Once I learned that I'm not going to hit hardly any greens from outside 200yds, I began scoring a lot better and playing better as well - which also minimized the necessity for long clubs in the bag. I love the 4 wedge system for my skill level.

My latest set up has Driver, 3W, 2h, 3h, and then I'm dropping 4 iron most likely and jumping straight to 5 iron. There will be a gap from about 190 to 205, however like others, I don't hit well from that yardage anyways.

The bottom of my bag has 47 PW, 51 GW, 55 SW, 60 LW.

I only carry three wedges for most rounds. If I know that a course is shorter, I will take the 5 wood out and go to four wedges.

Dropped a fairway wood I suppose. Carrying a 4w instead of 3/5. At that distance I'm hit and hope anyway, so no loss. Don't really find myself needing to nail down that 215 yard shot very often.
+1. I hit my 4 wood 230-235 off the turf, and I added a wedge. My wedge gap is about 10 yards between 95-125 yd, with full swings. I use all of my wedges much more often than I use my 4w in a typical round of golf.

I'm having trouble figuring out what club has to go right now.... My normal setup was the following:

Driver
3 & 5 wood
4 iron to PW
AW
SW
LW
Putter

I was having trouble with the 3 wood as of late, so I switched it out for a hybrid. Since then my 3 wood has come around from practice and i've been hitting it well. I like the hybrid too though! I dunno what to get rid of.

I'm having trouble figuring out what club has to go right now.... My normal setup was the following:

Driver
3 & 5 wood
4 iron to PW
AW
SW
LW
Putter

I was having trouble with the 3 wood as of late, so I switched it out for a hybrid. Since then my 3 wood has come around from practice and i've been hitting it well. I like the hybrid too though! I dunno what to get rid of.
My two cents - How does the hybrid distance compare to the 3 wood, 5 wood and/or the 4 iron distance? That would answer my question as to what to take out if you are sold on keeping the hybrid in the bag.

My two cents - How does the hybrid distance compare to the 3 wood, 5 wood and/or the 4 iron distance? That would answer my question as to what to take out if you are sold on keeping the hybrid in the bag.

My 4 iron with roll goes about 200... with roll my 5 wood will go about 230.

Honestly, I don't know my distance that well with the hybrid/3 wood. I need to hit a launch monitor.

I took out a 3W and 5W and replaced them with a 4W to accommodate an extra wedge. It's been a great change, and while I've thought about it I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the 3W/5W combo - I'm a little more consistent with the 4w, and the extra wedge has been nice.
I like this approach, and started looking at it. My lone issue is that I hit my 5 wood really well - one of my faves in the bag. I want to add a GW back in, but at the expense of a club I hit well? Maybe not.

I like this approach, and started looking at it. My lone issue is that I hit my 5 wood really well - one of my faves in the bag. I want to add a GW back in, but at the expense of a club I hit well? Maybe not.

I was having the same issue. Luckily 4W tend to be sitting in bargain bins for a while and get marked down. I think my VRS was like $35 or something new last year. So it wasn't an expensive demo. Turned out I hit the 4 about as well as the 5. I can choke down a bit and get the old 5w distance.

I had 3 hybrids in the bag, 18, 20.5, 23. I took out the 20.5 and added a 60. I choke down on 18 to fill the gap.

When I got my new set, I left out the 3 iron, and added an AW. I now only carry 3 woods (Driver, 3W and 5W), 4-PW, AW, 52, & 56...and putter. Works well for me, as of now. Not many gaps in my short game anymore.

I done the exact opposite Rollin.
I took out the lob & replaced with 3h.
Set now is dr, 4w, 3-5h, 4-pw, sw & putter. (Irons are weak lofts. ie pw is 48*)

I actually did just the opposite. Went to a two wedge setup in place for a 2h/5w. Havent decided which yet.

I actually did just the opposite. Went to a two wedge setup in place for a 2h/5w. Havent decided which yet.

If I had your length big boy. Lol

Not to hijack but your 9i goes farther than my 3h & you spin the 3h back more than my 9i

Dropped the 60 and play a chipper instead, the 56 SW is enough for me and I like using the chipper

Driver
3 & 5 wood
4 iron to PW
AW
SW
LW
Putter

My 4 iron with roll goes about 200... with roll my 5 wood will go about 230.

Honestly, I don't know my distance that well with the hybrid/3 wood. I need to hit a launch monitor.

I have the same set up (except your AW is called GW in my set) but it holds the same exact spot between PW and SW. Also my 4i and 5w distances are basically the same as what you mention to. It seems then we have that same gap between the 5w and 4i. And I assume that's where your 3hyb would fit in. That's where my 3i use to be so I assume we are in the same boat.

I don't really know what you can take out if you really want to add that 3h back into the set. I certainly wouldn't think a wedge is the answer. For me it was a matter of what held more value and was utilized much more in a given average round. The 3i or 3hyb spot was simply the least used for me. But perhaps for you, you might find the 5w spot the least used or even though hitting your 3w better may be that is still the least used. Basically whatever holds more value, then I'd keep that and go without the other club. Perahps you are able to do something like "Hawk" did and go with a 4w in place of the 3/5woods then you may be able to add the 3h back in with pretty good gaps filled and less void and still keep all wedges. My LW (got last year) has been far more beneficial to me than my 3iron ever was or ever will be So I don't mind the gap it created with my 3i out of the bag. I don't know if any this helps or just confused the crap out of it for you :) but just my opinion to offer since we do have a very similar situation.

I done the exact opposite Rollin.
I took out the lob & replaced with 3h.
Set now is dr, 4w, 3-5h, 4-pw, sw & putter. (Irons are weak lofts. ie pw is 48*)

many people nowadays going wedge happy and doing the opposite and even to a fault perhaps with several wedges. I personally would never take my LW out. Proved too valuable for me since I own it but I can also certainly see many reasons one would chose the other way. Whatever works best for any one individual is the only best way.

Another thread got me wondering this so with out jacking that one here goes this one.
Last year I finally got a lob wedge. But of course (due to 14 clubs) something had to take the hit. I pulled out the 3iron. It left me with a gap between my 5w and 4i but was the least used club and if need be I will just swing the 5W easier. But the LW vs that 3i was the best move I ever made. Simply far more beneficial than that 3iron would ever be. At least for my game right now.

Many of you have had to make such decisions too in order to carry the extra wedge and some of you are wedge crazy gaming a couple or few and must have made a couple more sacrifices to other clubs and/or gaps.

What club/s took the hit? Were they hard choices? How many did you make? Are you always toying with it all? Perhaps you figured a way to satisfy all the gaps via different clubs you normally were not carrying before you added a wedge or two thus changing a lot of your bag. Or perhaps like me you just left the one gap be what it is.
Whats your story for wedging up.

None for me. I actually carried 12 clubs for a long time, then added a second hybrid to bring it up to 13, then finally added a 54° wedge to be a dedicated sand club. I've never worried much about a gap in my setup, and if there has ever been one, it's been on the long end, between my longest iron/hybrid and my 3W (those longer shots are mostly guesswork anyway, so a gap there is irrelevant). Even that gap doesn't exist now - I'm a short knocker with all my clubs as I get closer to 70 years young, so I don't have to worry about it much any more. As your distances get shorter, the gaps just naturally shrink.

Back