U-Pick-Em Tournament Format

TheHeez

Reaction score
Handicap
My course's men's club is holding a tournament where every golfer gets to pick their tee box before the round. You are required to have 4-gold, 5-white, 5-blue and 4-black. It sounds like a ton of fun and would be interesting to see where every chooses to play from. Has anyone ever played an event like this?

I'd go longer on the 5s. Mid on the 3s. And shorter on 4s.

I'd go longer on the 5s. Mid on the 3s. And shorter on 4s.

I did a variation of that. I generally play the course from the blues so it was fun to dissect the course and see where I could put myself in a better scoring position or put a preferred club in my hand. There was definitely some danger avoidance as well. I guess we shall see how it plays out.

8A9D11A9-294E-440D-9354-EDEA4F2AE1EA.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Without knowing the course I think this would be tough, but based on yardages I would have made a few different picks. Our version is coming up for the Fourth of July, but we only have three tee boxes, red, white and blue. Let us know how it turns out for you.

My course has 2 Red/White/Blue tourneys each year. One in spring and one in the fall. Same premise. You pick 6 blue tees, 6 white tees and 6 red tees and declare then before the round. There are 2 flights, 8 and over and 7 and under. They pay out net and gross in both flights. It is a blast. Its fun to play from tees you would normally never play from. I play the blues, so playing from the red's is like playing a different course. It's a blast.

This sounds like a lot of fun. We've got 4 sets of tees at the home course, maybe I could convince them to do something like this.

Well, I played in the U Pick Em tournamnet this past weekend. It was a ton of fun looking at certain holes in a completely different light. We had a few holes where our foursome teed off on all the same box and a few where we occupied every single different box. I would encourage everyone to take advantage of events in this format, it was eye opening and a real treat.

Personally after an opening hole birdie my wheels came clean off. Between forgetting how to hit a wedge and not being able to make a putt, it was tough sledding for this hacker!

This does sound fun. I think I'd go back tees on the 5's, short tees on the 3's and split the white and blue tees on the 4's based on the specific hole since I'm not familiar with your course.

Yeah, it is a course I am very familiar with and I was aiming to take hazards out of play and help myself (not that it worked) as much as possible. Like on #7, from the blue/black tees there is some serious water on the left side, playing it from the golds allowed me to fly clean over that and have a mid-iron into the green. It was interesting ot see where others decided to play. I think I got it right and would have only swapped 1 & 4.

My course only has one set of tees......soooooooooo, that wouldn't do much for us.

But it does sound like a lot of fun.

~Rock

Back